Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Souring 130mm Cut-out Downlighters

We have some old downlighters in out kitchen that take R80 reflector bulbs
and fit in a 130mm cut-out. Their spring loaded 'clampy bits' have all
broken and there now hanging out of the ceiling.

I'd like to find a source for some new downlighters that will fit into the
same cut-out but can't find any - plenty of small ones but none this big.
They need to be able to take 100W bulbs. Does anyone know somewhere I could
try looking? Google does seem to have the answer.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Nov, 17:03, "elziko" wrote:
We have some old downlighters in out kitchen that take R80 reflector bulbs
and fit in a 130mm cut-out. Their spring loaded 'clampy bits' have all
broken and there now hanging out of the ceiling.

I'd like to find a source for some new downlighters that will fit into the
same cut-out but can't find any - plenty of small ones but none this big.
They need to be able to take 100W bulbs. Does anyone know somewhere I could
try looking? Google does seem to have the answer.

TIA

I just tackled the same job, and fitted the item below, which works
well in terms of light distribution and is reasonably smart in
appearance. Needs a 127mm cut-out, but is very shallow in the ceiling
void (which I required), as the tube is mounted horizontally. The 13W
tube is not quite as bright as a 100W incandescent, though I think TLC
also do a 36W unit.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLAT113E.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...age/index.html

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 23 Nov, 17:03, "elziko" wrote:
[...]

beware the 4000K lamp.

could always fix the originals with some 2mm iron wire

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...age/index.html

Thanks, but which lights are you thinking of there? I think they're all much
too small to fit in the original cut-outs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I just tackled the same job, and fitted the item below, which works
well in terms of light distribution and is reasonably smart in
appearance. Needs a 127mm cut-out, but is very shallow in the ceiling
void (which I required), as the tube is mounted horizontally. The 13W
tube is not quite as bright as a 100W incandescent, though I think TLC
also do a 36W unit.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLAT113E.html

Thanks, the 12W would be too dim - I did find a similar 42W lamp but it
would be too long to fit into the holder. If looked for but couldn't find
the 36W units which sounded perfect!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
elziko wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...age/index.html

Thanks, but which lights are you thinking of there? I think they're all
much too small to fit in the original cut-outs.

The R80 100w ones. The size of the lamp sets the minimum possible size and
130mm sounds about right for the fitting.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
elziko wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...age/index.html

Thanks, but which lights are you thinking of there? I think they're all
much too small to fit in the original cut-outs.

The R80 100w ones. The size of the lamp sets the minimum possible size and
130mm sounds about right for the fitting.

If you can find some open-backed ones, you could fit 23W
GE Genuras in them. These are slightly brighter than 100W R80.
They aren't cheap but usually last a long time, and don't care
how frequently you switch them on and off (unlike conventional
compact fluorescents).

The open back depends on the ceiling not being a required fire
barrier. (It's needed for ventilation of the GE Genuras to get
full lifespan from them.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The R80 100w ones. The size of the lamp sets the minimum possible size and
130mm sounds about right for the fitting.

Thanks but all of the lights in your link require a 100mm hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
elziko wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The R80 100w ones. The size of the lamp sets the minimum possible size and
130mm sounds about right for the fitting.

Thanks but all of the lights in your link require a 100mm hole.

Right. What you've got sounds unusual - I've got a few R80 downlighters
and just measured them and 130mm is about the diameter of the outside of
the ring that shows. And they are pretty old too. ;-) With an R80 lamp
they sound like they look rather unbalanced with a huge ring showing?
About an inch wide?

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
elziko wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Right. What you've got sounds unusual - I've got a few R80
downlighters and just measured them and 130mm is about the diameter of
the outside of the ring that shows. And they are pretty old too. ;-)
With an R80 lamp they sound like they look rather unbalanced with a
huge ring showing? About an inch wide?

Off the top of my head, the ring is no more than 15mm wide. And there is
probably only about 4mm of space between the lamp and the fitting. So
if an R80 is 80mm in diameter then the total diameter should be around
130mm. Now you've got me thinking I measured the hole wrong! Obviously
I took the fitting out of the ceiling to measure - perhaps I read the
tape measure wrong! I'll have to double check.

That sounds more like the ones I've got - different makers but all pretty
similar.

That said, I have now found some lights in B&Q and although they don't
mention the cut-out hole diameter requirements they are quoted as 170mm
wide (which sounds like they could be a good replacement if I did
measure correctly):

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true

They look a bit 'heavy' to me.

Incidentally replacing 'normal' R80 with these:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAH8075ES.html

makes for a more modern look with a nicer light from them. They seem to
have a better life too as well as being more efficient

I hope I did meaure wrongly.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Incidentally replacing 'normal' R80 with these:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAH8075ES.html

Not seen those before - would they give more/less/same amount of light as a
standard 100W R80?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Incidentally replacing 'normal' R80 with these:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAH8075ES.html

makes for a more modern look with a nicer light from them. They seem to
have a better life too as well as being more efficient

I also notice they do an R95 halogen bulb - now I'd like to find a recessed
fitting for these but can't find any. They'd be good because they'd fill up
to my large cut-out nicely and give me lots of extra light! It's funny that
lots of places seem to sell the R95 bulbs but not anything to screw them
into!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
elziko wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Incidentally replacing 'normal' R80 with these:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAH8075ES.html

Not seen those before - would they give more/less/same amount of light
as a standard 100W R80?

Not measured them but the 'whiter' light looks brighter. The real
advantage is they look so much better on or off.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"elziko" wrote in message
om...
I hope I did meaure wrongly.

My measurement were right. The cut-out is 130mm and they are 140mm wide in
total. The space inside the fitting for the bulb is quite large!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
elziko wrote:
My measurement were right. The cut-out is 130mm and they are 140mm wide in
total. The space inside the fitting for the bulb is quite large!

Perhaps they were designed for other than R80 lamps?

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 5:03 pm, "elziko" wrote:
We have some old downlighters in out kitchen that take R80 reflector bulbs
and fit in a 130mm cut-out. Their spring loaded 'clampy bits' have all
broken and there now hanging out of the ceiling.

I'd like to find a source for some new downlighters that will fit into the
same cut-out but can't find any - plenty of small ones but none this big.
They need to be able to take 100W bulbs. Does anyone know somewhere I could
try looking? Google does seem to have the answer.

If you're anywhere near Saffron Walden, I would recommend "28
Lighting" (at 51 High Street - guess which number they were at
originally!)

They aren't necessarily the ideal source for "cheapest possible
solution" (although they do aim to be competitive for bulbs), but I'm
pretty confident they will be able to find something.

Downlighters (again!) Richard A Downing UK diy 14 January 28th 06 06:40 PM
downlighters Cuprager UK diy 12 January 25th 06 06:57 PM
130mm soil pipe John Rumm UK diy 1 November 7th 05 09:26 PM
Where can I buy 5" (130mm) Plastic Ducting? [email protected] UK diy 9 July 15th 05 11:41 AM
130mm Downlighters? Steve Walker UK diy 3 June 11th 05 06:20 PM