Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi with blocked DHW heat exchanger: clean or replace?

Just diagnosed a dodgy DHW HX on my Wickes 90 / Halstead Finest. Is it worth
trying to descale, or am I just asking for trouble? Best price so far is
£103 plus vat from keeptheheaton, anyone suggest any other good suppliers?
Part number is 450985

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"newshound" writes:
Just diagnosed a dodgy DHW HX on my Wickes 90 / Halstead Finest. Is it worth
trying to descale, or am I just asking for trouble? Best price so far is
£103 plus vat from keeptheheaton, anyone suggest any other good suppliers?
Part number is 450985

I've descaled one in a friend's baxi quite easily.
If it's the primary side blocked with loose rust,
that's harder to clear out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:52:08 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"newshound" writes:
Just diagnosed a dodgy DHW HX on my Wickes 90 / Halstead Finest. Is it worth
trying to descale, or am I just asking for trouble? Best price so far is
£103 plus vat from keeptheheaton, anyone suggest any other good suppliers?
Part number is 450985

I've descaled one in a friend's baxi quite easily.
If it's the primary side blocked with loose rust,
that's harder to clear out.

Seconded: it's quite straightforward to descale a DHW HX secondary in
situ. If the primary's blocked it's new HX time.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

If we'd known how much fun grandchildren are
we'd have had them first
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" writes:
Just diagnosed a dodgy DHW HX on my Wickes 90 / Halstead Finest. Is it
worth trying to descale, or am I just asking for trouble? Best price
so far is £103 plus vat from keeptheheaton, anyone suggest any other
good suppliers? Part number is 450985

I've descaled one in a friend's baxi quite easily. If it's the primary
side blocked with loose rust, that's harder to clear out.

Seconded: it's quite straightforward to descale a DHW HX secondary in
situ. If the primary's blocked it's new HX time.

Buy new HX. Descale old one with dilute HCl for a couple of days, rinse
and keep as a spare.

If the problem in form the primary side you'll be needing it quite soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Buy new HX. Descale old one with dilute HCl for a couple of days, rinse
and keep as a spare.

If the problem in form the primary side you'll be needing it quite soon.

Thanks, I'd more or less decided to do just that because I'd hate to find
I'd killed the HX with descaler and be left without heating until I could
get a replacement. Will post an update

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message

Buy new HX. Descale old one with dilute HCl for a couple of days, rinse
and keep as a spare.

If the problem in form the primary side you'll be needing it quite soon.

Thanks, I'd more or less decided to do just that because I'd hate to find
I'd killed the HX with descaler and be left without heating until I could
get a replacement. Will post an update

If the primary side is blocked, clean out the whole system and then fit a
magnclean filter on the CH return pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"newshound" wrote in message

Buy new HX. Descale old one with dilute HCl for a couple of days, rinse
and keep as a spare.

If the problem in form the primary side you'll be needing it quite soon.

Thanks, I'd more or less decided to do just that because I'd hate to find
I'd killed the HX with descaler and be left without heating until I could
get a replacement. Will post an update

If the primary side is blocked, clean out the whole system and then fit a
magnclean filter on the CH return pipe.

It was the primary, took 25 grams out with HCl. I thought it was reasonably
clean, but will give it a flush and look into filters when I have some spare
time. I wish I'd got in an o-ring spares kit, the seals on the by-pass loop
in particular were very tired. They seem to have a chord of 2 mm rather than
about 2.25 mm as in my spares box. Yes, I know I could have stretched an
undersized one but that always feels wrong to me.