Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas meter capping - size query

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

Being CORGI approved mean

Corgi registered you mean. It is a registration authority, nothing else.
Corgi means a bathroom changer can do a soundness test.

No. I don't just mean registered with the CORGI authority. I really mean
that the installer is CORGI Approved. They have proven to the CORGI
Authority that they are competent in the installation of explosive gaseous
mixture combustion appliances. I don't mean they have paid to get a little
bit of paper. They have worked in front of and been supervised by a fully
qualified Gas Installer to prove they can do it safely and competently to
avoid loss of life through stupidity.

Please, go and read through the CORGI Website to get the full understanding
of what CORGI Approval means. I can't be bothered arguing the point on
here. Not with someone that has no clue on what it even means.

Bye Bye for now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
snipped
Remind me never to call him. The only thing the guys on site do, is
turn
on
an appliance and light it, and turn off at the main cock at the

meter.
The
lit appliance flares off any residual gas in the pipe work. Meters

are
fitted with gause screens, like you had to put on top of the Bunsen
burner
stand in school, to stop flare back into the main supply.
They are? All of them? New to me. In short, they are not.

Yes. Yes. You should check then. In short? They are.
All of them?

Yes. All of them. Someone told me they were filters. That's until I
pointed out that all gas meters had to have anti-flash gauss in them to

stop
idiots igniting gas at the output side. The gauss cause the gas to

flare on
the outside of the meter union, like a Bunsen burner did when you were

at
school (?).

So I will repeat the answer, just so you understand it fully. Yes. All
meters are fitted with an anti-flare gauss inside them.

Get it? Really got it? Good.

So a gauss is normal. Give or take an SD or two. :-)

(Is is spelled differently up there(like lintol/lintel)? Maybe gauze for
the rest of us?)

Rod

Bloody speel chucker!!!!! It chungess all the wirds intwo unreedouble
gibberush. :-) LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:47:52 +0000, Heliotrope Smith wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 02:40:43 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Tim S wrote:

Thanks for that. I may at some point want to do some soldering work
on the gas pipe, so it should be disconnected from the meter and the
meter capped - so I would like to have a cap handy. If they were a
quid, I'd buy both sizes, but they're rather more than that.

Whilst I realise it is the right way to do it, I don't think I have
seen a corgi cap a meter before soldering a pipe yet (not often seen
one use a manometer either!)

Hi all,

1) The size of the gas meter outlet is not a BSP fitting it is a
fitting to BS64 ?(IIRC).

2) The easiest way to cut off the outlet is with a disk (like a very
small metal tea tray) which goes in the outlet and is sealed by a
rubber washer.

3) either the cap or the disk might well be left lying around near the
gas meter (about 25% chance).

4) The use of flames on gas pipes connected to a gas meter is
acceptable if more than 2m from the meter. The meter is turned off (of
course!).

Have the regulations changed?

To whom is it acceptable to to use a flame on a gas carrying pipe
without isolating and disconnecting?

I think it a little irrisponsable to give such advice to someone who may
little expirience of gas work

1) I enquired about this from the (CORGI) advice line about three years
back. The advise was that soldering pipes more than 2m from the meter was
acceptable. All that was needed is to ensure the supply is turned off.

CORGI or you may have got the wrong end of the stick at the time. They
state quite
clearly in at least one of their publications (Essential Gas Safety) that.

"Where installation pipework is already connected to a gas meter and work is
in progress to extend the installation, the meter should be disconnected and
both
the open ends sealed with dust caps to prevent any 'flash back' to the
air/gas mixture
present in the meter."

This is as stated in the BS Regs and nowhere can I find any reference to any
minimum distance from the meter that this may not be adhered to.

No way would I turn off the gas, cut into a 1 1/4 inch pipe and start
soldering up a
fitting with the meter only 7 feet from my face.

Yes. I am CORGI registered.

Pure gas (even 50:50 or even in fact 75 air: 25 gas) does not explode.
A small amount of the gas may burn at the open end of the pipe. As soon as
the immediately accessible gas has burnt the rest of the gas stays put,
IME.

2) Purging the pipes of gas is more likely to make them full of an
explosive mixture based on the gas which you did not get out.

3) All advise given here is worth what it costs. Having said that the FAQ
clearly states that knowing about (say) gas fitting does not make you
competent (which requires supervised experience aswell as knowledge).
It is my view that although a little knowledge is a dangerous thing
informed people are likely to fare better than ill informed guessers and
chancers. You can't stop some people being stupid and telling other people
(who in other areas of their life may well be very competent and/or highly
educated) is only likely to encourage them to experiment

E.g.
From time to time people suggest checking for leakage by seeing if the
meter records any gas usage over time. Far better to lay out the correct
procedures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
m...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
snipped
Remind me never to call him. The only thing the guys on site do, is
turn
on
an appliance and light it, and turn off at the main cock at the

meter.
The
lit appliance flares off any residual gas in the pipe work. Meters

are
fitted with gause screens, like you had to put on top of the Bunsen
burner
stand in school, to stop flare back into the main supply.

They are? All of them? New to me. In short, they are not.

Yes. Yes. You should check then. In short? They are.

All of them?

Yes. All of them. Someone told me they were filters.

Oh someone told you now. So you were guessing then. You are are such a
josher! Such fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

om...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

Being CORGI approved mean

Corgi registered you mean. It is a registration
authority, nothing else. Corgi means a bathroom
changer can do a soundness test.

No. I don't just mean registered with the
CORGI authority. I really mean that the
installer is CORGI Approved.

Bzzz! Wrong.

They have proven to the CORGI
Authority that they are competent
in the installation of explosive gaseous
mixture combustion appliances.

They just show Corgi some documents and they register them. "Competent"?
That is proven by the actions not some bits of paper.

I don't mean they have paid to get a little
bit of paper. They have worked in front
of and been supervised by a fully
qualified Gas Installer to prove they can
do it safely and competently to
avoid loss of life through stupidity.

Corgi never did that.

Please, go and read through the CORGI
Website

I have and it is full of crap. Trying to pass a registration authority off
as a maker and policeman of the laws.

snip the rest as it is drivel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
m...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Learn to read fully young man. Learn to read fully. My reply does not stop
where you have. Don't edit my replies to suit your own thinking. That is
very rude and annoying.

If you didn't understand the rest of my reply, then put all my replies in
your blocked senders list. This will prevent you from directly receiving
anything I post to the group.

I have read your replies to another thread on gas products, and I have
noticed that your recommendations on such products changes with the
direction of the wind. One reply says you know that "A" is the best on the
market, then another of your replies in the same thread says that "B" is
totally over and above the rest on quality and service.

I think if your were able to make your mind up, you would have a revelation
and turn to religion as the best thing on the market. Because GOD ALMIGHTY
man, you're making me feel religious at this point.

:-) LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Sorry Guys. I can't put up with any more of this.

PLONK !!!!! Bye Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Heliotrope Smith
writes

No way would I turn off the gas, cut into a 1 1/4 inch pipe and start
soldering up a
fitting with the meter only 7 feet from my face.

Yes. I am CORGI registered.

You have no sense of adventure, you don't

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
m...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

[...]

All meters do not have filters. Got it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Sorry Guys. I can't put up with any more of this.

PLONK !!!!! Bye Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. What a relief.

Waht is the Work area size for in front of Meter Panel (PG&E Green Book) Scott Townsend Home Repair 8 November 9th 06 05:59 PM
meter size [email protected] UK diy 3 June 5th 06 09:47 PM
meter size [email protected] UK diy 0 June 5th 06 03:39 PM
Radiator key size query galaxi UK diy 8 November 22nd 05 05:22 PM
query about segmented circle part size John Moorhead Woodworking 11 April 27th 05 12:26 AM