Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall sockets for shallow backboxes

Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

You really would be better replacing the boxes. This will always be a
problem especially if you decide later to add a spur socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

There is always plenty room around the sides of the box, or has someone left
the cables to short? :-)

The normal way would be to dress the cable around the edges of the box
before folding the ends into the connections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

You really would be better replacing the boxes. This will always be a
problem especially if you decide later to add a spur socket.

I agree - the best solution would be to replace the boxes, but I'm trying to
avoid it, because it'll be a messy/fiddly job for someone as clumsy as me
(I'd have to cut into blockwork as well as avoid cosmetic damage to the
surroundings).

There is definitely a commerical opportunity (IMHO) for someone to
manufacture a range of sockets that stick out an extra few mm to create a
few extra mm of working space at the rear.

Cheers

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

There is always plenty room around the sides of the box, or has someone
left
the cables to short? :-)

The normal way would be to dress the cable around the edges of the box
before folding the ends into the connections.

Sounds sensible. There should be enough cable to route it around the edges,
so I'll probably end up doing that. I'm not very good with fiddly jobs so
would prefer extra space though.

Cheers, Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?

TLC's "Ultimate" range seem to be shallower than some. They also have
twin earth connections (one at each end) which can make wire routing
simpler.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?

TLC's "Ultimate" range seem to be shallower than some. They also have
twin earth connections (one at each end) which can make wire routing
simpler.

Yes - at worst, the flat metal Ultimate actually states a 35mm box. IME,
25mm is fine for most traditional sockets with a bit up top, but you have
to try to tidy the wires and preform the bends so they tend to settle into
the right places when you screw the plate down.

My father's opinion was that if you couldn't push the plate home by hand
without brute force, take it off and try again until you can.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?

TLC's "Ultimate" range seem to be shallower than some. They also have
twin earth connections (one at each end) which can make wire routing
simpler.

Yes - at worst, the flat metal Ultimate actually states a 35mm box. IME,
25mm is fine for most traditional sockets with a bit up top, but you have
to try to tidy the wires and preform the bends so they tend to settle into
the right places when you screw the plate down.

The ultimate ones are not flat metal - they are the plastic ones with
the slightly curved fronts and the little plugs that close the screw holes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

The ultimate ones are not flat metal - they are the plastic ones with
the slightly curved fronts and the little plugs that close the screw
holes.

For the first time in living memory I must beg to differ John

http://www.getplc.com/connect/ultimate/flat-plate.asp

;-

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

There is always plenty room around the sides of the box, or has someone
left
the cables to short? :-)

The normal way would be to dress the cable around the edges of the box
before folding the ends into the connections.

Agreed - but ever driven the screws through the insulation? (Power on -
Mmm, I'll just line up the screw head slots or level the switch/ socket -
Bang!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

The ultimate ones are not flat metal - they are the plastic ones with
the slightly curved fronts and the little plugs that close the screw
holes.

For the first time in living memory I must beg to differ John

Ooooh! ;-)

http://www.getplc.com/connect/ultimate/flat-plate.asp

;-

Remember I did say TLC's:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...All/index.html

;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at

the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

There is always plenty room around the sides of the box, or has someone
left
the cables to short? :-)

The normal way would be to dress the cable around the edges of the box
before folding the ends into the connections.

Agreed - but ever driven the screws through the insulation? (Power on -
Mmm, I'll just line up the screw head slots or level the switch/ socket -
Bang!)

Not if dressed right into the edges, where they should be in a properly
dressed out back box. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks to all (and esp. to John Rumm). I'll go for the "Ultimate"
white moulded range.

The description at http://www.getplc.com/connect/ultima...te-moulded.asp says
"Minimal back projection to allow installation using standard flush mounting
boxes for both new and retro-fits" and a 25mm box is actually recommended.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Many thanks to all (and esp. to John Rumm). I'll go for the "Ultimate"
white moulded range.

The description at http://www.getplc.com/connect/ultima...te-moulded.asp says
"Minimal back projection to allow installation using standard flush mounting
boxes for both new and retro-fits" and a 25mm box is actually recommended.

Steve

Some old Ashleys used to be supplied new with matching 18mm boxes. I
dont know if they do anything like that today, but might be worth
checking.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve wrote:
You really would be better replacing the boxes. This will always be a
problem especially if you decide later to add a spur socket.

I agree - the best solution would be to replace the boxes, but I'm
trying to avoid it, because it'll be a messy/fiddly job for someone as
clumsy as me (I'd have to cut into blockwork as well as avoid cosmetic
damage to the surroundings).

There is definitely a commerical opportunity (IMHO) for someone to
manufacture a range of sockets that stick out an extra few mm to create
a few extra mm of working space at the rear.

Most plastic sockets can be fitted to 25mm boxes with care. But the
fashion is for flat plate metal designs which can't. And most will be
replacing existing sockets for fashion reasons.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at

the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

There is always plenty room around the sides of the box, or has someone
left
the cables to short? :-)

The normal way would be to dress the cable around the edges of the box
before folding the ends into the connections.

Agreed - but ever driven the screws through the insulation? (Power on -
Mmm, I'll just line up the screw head slots or level the switch/ socket -
Bang!)

Or worse still just enough damage to the insulation to cause the RCD to trip
every now and again.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Steve wrote:
There is definitely a commerical opportunity (IMHO) for someone to
manufacture a range of sockets that stick out an extra few mm to
create a few extra mm of working space at the rear.

I thought MK had done that?

CPC sell 10mm spacers that you can install behind a socket to add a
little more room in the box.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Owain wrote:
Steve wrote:
There is definitely a commerical opportunity (IMHO) for someone to
manufacture a range of sockets that stick out an extra few mm to
create a few extra mm of working space at the rear.

I thought MK had done that?

CPC sell 10mm spacers that you can install behind a socket to add a
little more room in the box.

Naff.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Owain wrote:
Steve wrote:
There is definitely a commerical opportunity (IMHO) for someone to
manufacture a range of sockets that stick out an extra few mm to
create a few extra mm of working space at the rear.

I thought MK had done that?

CPC sell 10mm spacers that you can install behind a socket to add a
little more room in the box.

Naff.

Dave Plowman London SW

I'll agree with that. Box extenders and decor skirts look horrible. Only
used in real emergency situations, when all else fails.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Owain wrote:
Steve wrote:
There is definitely a commerical opportunity (IMHO) for someone to
manufacture a range of sockets that stick out an extra few mm to
create a few extra mm of working space at the rear.
I thought MK had done that?
CPC sell 10mm spacers that you can install behind a socket to add a
little more room in the box.

Naff.

Dave Plowman London SW

I'll agree with that. Box extenders and decor skirts look horrible. Only
used in real emergency situations, when all else fails.

Handy for flush mount TV outlets where there is not enough room to
accommodate the minimum bend radius of CT100 without.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Handy for flush mount TV outlets where there is not enough room to
accommodate the minimum bend radius of CT100 without.

You can get one gang shaver depth boxes. Or use a right angle F adaptor.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
Cheers
Steve

There is always plenty room around the sides of the box, or has someone left
the cables to short? :-)

A mis-spelling that makes things ambiguous (at least I *assume* it's a
mis-spelling).

".......... left the cables to short?" suggests someone has left bare
ends on the wires which might short. Whereas I suspect the intention
was "......... left the cables too short?" meaning the cables were not
long enough.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Handy for flush mount TV outlets where there is not enough room to
accommodate the minimum bend radius of CT100 without.

You can get one gang shaver depth boxes. Or use a right angle F adaptor.

I was mainly talking about when one does not want to change the back box...

The "make your own" F outlet with a blanking plate of your choice and a
F type female to female barrel connector is probably the best solution
overall, but alas you can not always get blanking plates to match all
accessories. The snap in modular ones are not too bad depth wise.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
The "make your own" F outlet with a blanking plate of your choice and a
F type female to female barrel connector is probably the best solution
overall, but alas you can not always get blanking plates to match all
accessories. The snap in modular ones are not too bad depth wise.

There's not many makes of accessories where you can't get matching blank
plates - apart from shed etc own brands.

There can be a problem fitting those female to female connectors to
plastic plates - the thread isn't long enough for the F connector on the
'back' side. Works fine with metal plates. Unless someone knows of a
source of extra long ones.

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. That two. I mean to. No. Sorry. That too. Ah, to hell with it.
That as well. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
The "make your own" F outlet with a blanking plate of your choice and a
F type female to female barrel connector is probably the best solution
overall, but alas you can not always get blanking plates to match all
accessories. The snap in modular ones are not too bad depth wise.

There's not many makes of accessories where you can't get matching blank
plates - apart from shed etc own brands.

Some of the posh metal ones don't have them either.

There can be a problem fitting those female to female connectors to
plastic plates - the thread isn't long enough for the F connector on the
'back' side. Works fine with metal plates. Unless someone knows of a
source of extra long ones.

I think the ones I got from CPC last time have one side longer than the
other - enough to go through a blanking plate at least and leave enough
sticking out.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
There can be a problem fitting those female to female connectors to
plastic plates - the thread isn't long enough for the F connector on
the 'back' side. Works fine with metal plates. Unless someone knows of
a source of extra long ones.

I think the ones I got from CPC last time have one side longer than the
other - enough to go through a blanking plate at least and leave enough
sticking out.

Yes - those are the ones I've got. But they're not long enough for the
average plastic plate - except perhaps if fitting in the middle where
there's a recess to take the nut. Elsewhere on the plate there won't be
enough thread beyond the backing nut to allow the connector to tighten
fully.

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes.
Space for (ring) cables seems very tight.
Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the
back, leaving more room for the cables?
TLC's "Ultimate" range seem to be shallower than some. They also have
twin earth connections (one at each end) which can make wire routing
simpler.

Yes - at worst, the flat metal Ultimate actually states a 35mm box. IME,
25mm is fine for most traditional sockets with a bit up top, but you have
to try to tidy the wires and preform the bends so they tend to settle into
the right places when you screw the plate down.

The ultimate ones are not flat metal - they are the plastic ones with
the slightly curved fronts and the little plugs that close the screw holes.

Ashley?

Shallow, wall-mounted sinks Clive UK diy 9 July 13th 08 01:19 AM
High Street / online supplier of shallow depth kitchen base/wall cabinets? Tim UK diy 4 September 15th 06 07:40 PM
Unswitched Wall sockets? EricP UK diy 13 November 9th 05 09:49 AM
Multi-Way wall sockets Paul Williams UK diy 2 November 22nd 04 03:40 AM
Moving Electric Sockets from skirting to wall Chris Oates UK diy 12 July 11th 03 11:33 PM