Posted to uk.d-i-y
HL HL is offline

Default Replacing combi

I am considering replacing my Worcester 230 combi gas
boiler with a Worcester Greenstar 37 CDI combi gas boiler.
We have 4 bedrooms and 10 radiators, would this be efficient
enough for this amount of radiators and how good is this boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:31:32 +0000, HL wrote:

I am considering replacing my Worcester 230 combi gas boiler with a
Worcester Greenstar 37 CDI combi gas boiler. We have 4 bedrooms and 10
radiators, would this be efficient enough for this amount of radiators
and how good is this boiler.

See Boiler Choice FAQ. You won't get any answers just better questions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"HL" mum@mum wrote in message
I am considering replacing my Worcester 230 combi gas
boiler with a Worcester Greenstar 37 CDI combi gas boiler.
We have 4 bedrooms and 10 radiators, would this be efficient
enough for this amount of radiators and how good is this boiler.

Buy a Broag Avantaplus 39C and use the weather compensation option. You
will not be disappointed.

http://www.avantaplus.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi there

Is there any reason why you wish to stick with the Worcester brand?
We do sell Worcester boilers, but we have found them to be more
expensive for our customers when a different brand will deliver the
same benefits for a real difference in price. Making the assumption
that for a four-bedroom house you have more than 1 bathroom (an en-
suite or cloakroom is considered as a second bathroom), then you
definitely do need one of the more powerful boilers.

Naturally, we recommend that you go for a SEDBUK A-rated boiler to
maximise efficiency and reduce your fuel spend. Remember that fuel
costs have risen a great deal in the last six months, so a new boiler
will pay for itself far more quickly than you think.

Take a look at the
http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/Arist...1401-6935.html
which is a similar boiler to the Worcester and it already comes with a
free standard horizonalt coaxial kit. It has a built-in 24 hour
mechanical time clock (no computer parts to go wrong!) and Ariston is
a trusted brand. We tend to recommend this boiler because we know
that you'll be pleased with its performance and reliability. You can
get this boiler for under £700 including VAT, whereas a quick search
of the internet has shown that if you go for the Worcester, you'll pay
well over a grand for the pleasure.

Worth thinking about, I think...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 10:55, Trade Plumbing wrote:
snip

*It has a built-in 24 hour
mechanical time clock (no computer parts to go wrong!)

That's horse ****. Since when have mechanical parts been more reliable
than electronics? I spent years repairing radio/comms equipment and I
would say that 80% or more of faults were due to mechanical failure
rather than failure of electronic components or software. I would say
that buying something with a mechanical timer would be a large step
backwards. Mechanical components incurr friction, wear and will fail.
Electronics dont.

That's besides the spam aspect of your post ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jon" wrote in message
On 21 Nov, 10:55, Trade Plumbing wrote:
snip

It has a built-in 24 hour
mechanical time clock (no computer parts to go wrong!)

That's horse ****. Since when have mechanical parts been more reliable
than electronics? I spent years repairing radio/comms equipment and I
would say that 80% or more of faults were due to mechanical failure
rather than failure of electronic components or software. I would say
that buying something with a mechanical timer would be a large step
backwards. Mechanical components incurr friction, wear and will fail.
Electronics dont.

That's besides the spam aspect of your post ....

pcbs in some boilers (Poxy/Batterton) drop out like flies. Maxie, here
repairs CH electric/electronic and he is inundated with work. He has an
enchanted workshop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message
On 21 Nov, 10:55, Trade Plumbing wrote:
snip

It has a built-in 24 hour
mechanical time clock (no computer parts to go wrong!)

That's horse ****. Since when have mechanical parts been more reliable
than electronics? I spent years repairing radio/comms equipment and I
would say that 80% or more of faults were due to mechanical failure
rather than failure of electronic components or software. I would say
that buying something with a mechanical timer would be a large step
backwards. Mechanical components incurr friction, wear and will fail.
Electronics dont.

That's besides the spam aspect of your post ....

pcbs in some boilers (Poxy/Batterton) drop out like flies. Maxie, here
repairs CH electric/electronic and he is inundated with work. He has an
enchanted workshop.

There we have it. Dribble likes clockwork and hates electronics. But in
another thread recommends weather compensated boilers. Consistent?

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message
[...]

Please eff off as you are an idiotic Jocko plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 12:23, Jon wrote:
On 21 Nov, 10:55, Trade Plumbing wrote:
snip

*It has a built-in 24 hour
mechanical time clock (no computer parts to go wrong!)

That's horse ****. Since when have mechanical parts been more reliable
than electronics? I spent years repairing radio/comms equipment and I
would say that 80% or more of faults were due to mechanical failure

snippage

He didn't say mechanical was more reliable than electronics - just
that there were no computer parts to go wrong. At least in the timer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 14:51, Phil wrote:
On 21 Nov, 12:23, Jon wrote: On 21 Nov, 10:55, Trade Plumbing wrote:
snip

*It has a built-in 24 hour
mechanical time clock (no computer parts to go wrong!)

That's horse ****. Since when have mechanical parts been more reliable
than electronics? I spent years repairing radio/comms equipment and I
would say that 80% or more of faults were due to mechanical failure

snippage

He didn't say mechanical was more reliable than electronics - just
that there were no computer parts to go wrong. At *least in the timer.

There are also no mechanical parts to go wrong in an electronic
timer ;o)

The sentance was insinuating a mechanical timer would be more reliable
as there would be no electronic components in it "to go wrong". Hence
if there are no components in it to go wrong, then it must be
reliable,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Trade Plumbing" wrote in message
[...]

It is not and this is pure spam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Trade Plumbing wrote:
Take a look at the
http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/spam
which is a similar boiler to the Worcester and it already comes with a
free standard horizonalt coaxial kit. It has a built-in 24 hour
mechanical time clock (no computer parts to go wrong!) and Ariston is a
trusted brand.

Good greif. Another technophobe. Electronic programmers have been around
for over 30 years and should have the benefit of not stopping with a power
cut and never going noisy. As well as being smaller, neater and easier to
use.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Trade Plumbing wrote:
Take a look at the
http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/spam
which is a similar boiler to the Worcester and it already comes with a
free standard horizonalt coaxial kit. It has a built-in 24 hour
mechanical time clock (no computer parts to go wrong!) and Ariston is a
trusted brand.

Good greif. Another technophobe. Electronic programmers have been around
for over 30 years and should have the benefit of not stopping with a power
cut and never going noisy. As well as being smaller, neater and easier to
use.

I was rather intrigued by this:

"The Ariston Clas HE also features an LCD display which, as well as
displaying information on the boilers operation, will also display an
error code in the event of a shut down to help easily determine the cause."

I had never before considered a clockwork LCD display... But it must be
because there are "no computer parts to go wrong!".

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message

I had never before considered a clockwork LCD display... But it must be
because there are "no computer parts to go wrong!".

I have a clockwork timer with a microprocessor in it.
It runs the overrides, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:58:11 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News)
wrote :
Good greif. Another technophobe. Electronic programmers have
been around for over 30 years and should have the benefit of
not stopping with a power cut and never going noisy. As well
as being smaller, neater and easier to use.

Easier for the likes of us. For lots of people like my mum, the
'old fashioned' programmer with on-off tags round a wheel is
much easier to understand, likewise mechanical thermostats with
a dial.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message

Easier for the likes of us. For lots of people like my mum, the
'old fashioned' programmer with on-off tags round a wheel is
much easier to understand, likewise mechanical thermostats with
a dial.

You can get electronic thermostats with a dial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote :
Good greif. Another technophobe. Electronic programmers have
been around for over 30 years and should have the benefit of
not stopping with a power cut and never going noisy. As well
as being smaller, neater and easier to use.

Easier for the likes of us. For lots of people like my mum, the
'old fashioned' programmer with on-off tags round a wheel is
much easier to understand, likewise mechanical thermostats with
a dial.

Personally I find those old programmers with pegs far more confusing than
a simple electronic type like the Honeywell ST699B which really couldn't
be easier to set up and use.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:31:32 -0000, "HL" mum@mum wrote:

I am considering replacing my Worcester 230 combi gas
boiler with a Worcester Greenstar 37 CDI combi gas boiler.
We have 4 bedrooms and 10 radiators, would this be efficient
enough for this amount of radiators and how good is this boiler.

Usually it's hot water performance that's the limiting factor for
boiler choice not the CH.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Replacing conventional gas boiler v.installing combi Late Learner UK diy 17 January 14th 06 08:28 AM
Replacing a Vokera combi boiler (with 15mm gas inlet!) Ces UK diy 7 December 5th 05 08:52 PM
Replacing existing Combi (NOT condensing) Nick Holmes UK diy 9 February 15th 05 06:27 PM
replacing combi bilge UK diy 4 November 11th 04 01:30 PM
Replacing Conventional with Combi Boiler - How DIY is this ? Kevin UK diy 7 October 24th 03 11:07 PM