Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bath traps

Hello,

What is the best type of trap for a bath? I'm sure that I've read here
before that bottle traps are not recommended because they can clog
with hair etc. but the alternative seems to be a shallow bath trap
with 20mm seal and I thought these could be emptied easily by syphonic
effects. Is it best to have a large P-trap with access hole for
cleaning?

Is the idea of the shallow trap that it will fit between the bath and
floorboards? In my bathroom someone has cut a hole in the floorboards
to fit a larger trap. Is this a problem? Do fire regs. mean that all
floor should be boarded? If so, I've got a gap in the airing cupboard
floor too.

Why is the seal height of a trap always given in millimetres: why
don't they just say standard or shallow? Is the number of millimetres
that critical?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:40:42 +0000, Stephen
wrote:

[...]

I have a shallow trap with an access point covered by a screw on cap.
The bath empties fine .
I wouldn't worry about the hole in the floor if I were you .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Stephen wrote:
[...]

Just to make sure you do know the alternatives, there is also HepVO.
Which I fitted to our bath. Fastest emptying bath I have ever had!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 21:15, Rod wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that lead on the HepvO products - I ought to fit an air
admittance valve to our bath trap but one of these looks a better
option.

Literature is available on this webpage (pdf file)

http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/He...e%20valves.pdf

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 09:12, robgraham wrote:
On 20 Nov, 21:15, Rod wrote:

Stephen wrote:
[...]

A thought came to me after writing the above, and I apologise for the
slight hi-jacking of the thread. The 'suck-out' that is occurring in
our bath trap is due to the washing machine being on the same branch -
the problem being I suspect is that the vent pipe is downstream (old
cottage and the vent is a branch off the gutter downpipe) and hence
the washing machine outlet is effectively sucking air in through the
bath outlet.

If I fit a HepvO valve to the bath, the w/machine is going to struggle
to vent - correct ?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 20 Nov, 21:15, Rod wrote:

Stephen wrote:
[...]

Should be no problem. The HepVO provides virtually no resistance to
inflowing air.

Could you also use a HepVO on the w/m connection? (Assuming it is
physically possible, that is perfectly acceptable.) So far we have three
(two basins and the bath).

(No - not on commission from Hepworths. :-) )

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 21:15, Rod wrote:

Stephen wrote:
[...]

We had a HepvO valve on a sink but we got regular bad smells and
replaced it with a conventional trap.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 09:35, robgraham wrote:

A thought came to me after writing the above, and I apologise for the
slight hi-jacking of the thread. *The 'suck-out' that is occurring in
our bath trap is due to the washing machine being on the same branch -
the problem being I suspect is that the vent pipe is downstream (old
cottage and the vent is a branch off the gutter downpipe) and hence
the washing machine outlet is effectively sucking air in through the
bath outlet.

If I fit a HepvO valve to the bath, the w/machine is going to struggle
to vent - correct ?

We have a similar configuration, and indeed used to find the bath trap
would occasionally empty due to the washing machine induced syphon. A
deeper trap was not an option for us due to the flooring/plumbing
layout and so a HepVO trap was fitted as an experiment...

Five years on and I can confirm it works. Highly recommended.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 13:18, Mathew Newton wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys - Hepv0 it will be.

Apologies for the hijack Stephen - I hope the answers I got were
helpful to you too.

Rob