Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default I need 50 mouse traps

I need 50 mouse traps. These are the small 8.5 cm x 4.5 cm traps with
a wood base (about playing card size), not the big rat trap size.

No, I don't have a monster infestation of rodents. I teach physics and
my students have to make mouse trap powered cars. My only known source
of traps has been put out of business.

Does anyone know of a source of 50 traps? Better yet, is there a
company that makes mouse traps in Manila so I could get them right from
the factory?

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
I need 50 mouse traps. These are the small 8.5 cm x 4.5 cm traps with
a wood base (about playing card size), not the big rat trap size.

No, I don't have a monster infestation of rodents. I teach physics and
my students have to make mouse trap powered cars. My only known source
of traps has been put out of business.

Does anyone know of a source of 50 traps? Better yet, is there a
company that makes mouse traps in Manila so I could get them right from
the factory?

Ken

Victor still makes the wooden base spring traps.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTP...p?SKU=VIC-M035

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
I need 50 mouse traps. These are the small 8.5 cm x 4.5 cm traps with
a wood base (about playing card size), not the big rat trap size.

No, I don't have a monster infestation of rodents. I teach physics
and my students have to make mouse trap powered cars. My only known
source of traps has been put out of business.

Does anyone know of a source of 50 traps? Better yet, is there a
company that makes mouse traps in Manila so I could get them right
from the factory?

Here's some for $.17 each. Google is your friend.

I particularily like the plastic ones from China, but no price.

http://www.dollardays.com/i-215660-n...use-traps.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need 50 mouse traps. These are the small 8.5 cm x 4.5 cm traps with
a wood base (about playing card size), not the big rat trap size.

No, I don't have a monster infestation of rodents. I teach physics and
my students have to make mouse trap powered cars. My only known source
of traps has been put out of business.

Does anyone know of a source of 50 traps? Better yet, is there a
company that makes mouse traps in Manila so I could get them right from
the factory?

Ken

Local school here in the States was into the same project. Teacher tried
his best to get around the suppliers. In the end I went to the local
hardware store, told the owner what we were doing. A box of 72 traps was
$40.00, the store owner reduced the price to $32.00 then offered to split
the difference with me as long as the instructor mentioned the supplies were
donated by XX and YY. Everything turned out fine.... (you need a
sponsor).

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
I need 50 mouse traps. These are the small 8.5 cm x 4.5 cm traps with
a wood base (about playing card size), not the big rat trap size.

No, I don't have a monster infestation of rodents. I teach physics and
my students have to make mouse trap powered cars. My only known source
of traps has been put out of business.

Does anyone know of a source of 50 traps? Better yet, is there a
company that makes mouse traps in Manila so I could get them right from
the factory?

Ken

I have a rather unusual idea. Why don't these "students" make their
own. They would have to learn to make springs. this involves learning
what metals to use. How to bend metal, how to heat treat and temper to
make a spring. you could also have them do it like in former times with
only a forge and color to measure tempering(like I can do).

Use tools (maybe a lawsuit possible here). It amazes me how little of
actual practical value i learned in school.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Use tools (maybe a lawsuit possible here). It amazes me how little of
actual practical value i learned in school.

I was confused about why a college educated person was more valuable than
one with HKU learning. (Hard Knocks University) A man once said that in
college, they teach you how to learn. How to identify the problem, and how
to find the solutions. Not so much on teaching you the dates and places and
facts. Then it made sense.

I think that school also is an indicator that a person can stay with
something for a good while, and not move on or quit.

MHO

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Steve B wrote:
wrote

Use tools (maybe a lawsuit possible here). It amazes me how little of
actual practical value i learned in school.

I was confused about why a college educated person was more valuable than
one with HKU learning. (Hard Knocks University) A man once said that in
college, they teach you how to learn. How to identify the problem, and how
to find the solutions. Not so much on teaching you the dates and places and
facts. Then it made sense.

I think that school also is an indicator that a person can stay with
something for a good while, and not move on or quit.

Yeah, not enough people realize the value of that latter point. You
know on a resume or interview they always want to ask you what project
did you accomplish that turned out well? Well, a college degree or,
even better, a grad degree, shows that at least once in your life you
could stick to a project for four years or so, carry it through a bunch
of personal distractions, basically manage yourself to satisfactorily
achieve a distant goal without every detail being laid out for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 31 Dec 2006 01:32:22 -0800, "Ken" wrote:

I need 50 mouse traps. These are the small 8.5 cm x 4.5 cm traps with
a wood base (about playing card size), not the big rat trap size.

No, I don't have a monster infestation of rodents. I teach physics and
my students have to make mouse trap powered cars. My only known source
of traps has been put out of business.

Does anyone know of a source of 50 traps? Better yet, is there a
company that makes mouse traps in Manila so I could get them right from
the factory?

There was a time when one could just go to a store and say he wanted
to buy a lot of something, and make a deal on the price. In theory
some managers even of big box stores have the power to do this now,
but I think they would find the paperwork daunting. But small stores
where the owner or a real manager is on the premises can do it.

I wanted to buy a life-time supply of double edged razor blades (not
the silly twin blades but the double-edged.) and thought I should make
a deal with a store, but I never got around to it, and then I panicked
when Walgreens and Giant were only selling one item each (and
Walgreens wanted 10 dollars for 10 blades, although Giant only wanted
3 dollars for 10 blades. So I went to ebaay and bought 200 for about
18 dollars including postage. They're made in Turkey but seem sharp
enough. Much of the rest of the world still uses standard double
edged blades instead of the Trac-9 and other strange things in the US.
Because I have a beard and don't shave at all most days, it's hard to
tell how many I will need in the next, 35 years, God willing, but I
think 200 will handle it. If not I will have to go abroad to buy
more. Add 1 or 2000 dollars to the price.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

I'm still waitin' for somebody to make a better one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
wrote

Use tools (maybe a lawsuit possible here). It amazes me how little of
actual practical value i learned in school.

I was confused about why a college educated person was more valuable than
one with HKU learning. (Hard Knocks University) A man once said that in
college, they teach you how to learn. How to identify the problem, and how
to find the solutions. Not so much on teaching you the dates and places and
facts. Then it made sense.

I think that school also is an indicator that a person can stay with
something for a good while, and not move on or quit.

Considering the grade inflation today and how little people have to
actually do to complete their degree to me it means less and less every
year. I see what is coming out of college and i am not impressed. By
the way I have 200 hours of college(no degree) and also 15 years of
practical experience in machining, manufacturing and now industrial
maintenance. College is just a club and a degree gets you into a club
of other club members.
My experience is that the best machinists would make much better
engineers than your average graduate with a degree.
Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest to check on www.google.com and click the link on the
right "other services; Froogle".

That, or www.ebay.com and look for companies in Hong Kong, they
ship anywhere.

Good luck.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Ken" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need 50 mouse traps. These are the small 8.5 cm x 4.5 cm

traps with
a wood base (about playing card size), not the big rat trap

size.

No, I don't have a monster infestation of rodents. I teach

physics and
my students have to make mouse trap powered cars. My only

known source
of traps has been put out of business.

Does anyone know of a source of 50 traps? Better yet, is there

company that makes mouse traps in Manila so I could get them

right from
the factory?

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:

Steve B wrote:

wrote

[...]

I beleve I read a recent post on alt.hvac which had words like, "Work on
things to learn how, but also take courses to learn why."

Made sense to me...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

[...]

Didja ever learn how to "resharpen" or "hone" those double edge blades
by rubbing them around the inside of a drinking glass?

How about those Wilkenson Sword" blades imported from England, which
IIRC the first stainless steel blades available in the USA? They had
office mates bragging about how mant shaves they could get from one blade.

I fondly remember King Gillette's "Blue Blades", and even the "foxhole
radios" made from them during WWII.

http://members.aol.com/djadamson7/articles/foxhole.html

I believe it was King Gillette who first came up with the concept of
"giving away" the razors so he could then sell you the blades forever.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

wrote

Use tools (maybe a lawsuit possible here). It amazes me how little of
actual practical value i learned in school.

I was confused about why a college educated person was more valuable than
one with HKU learning. (Hard Knocks University) A man once said that in
college, they teach you how to learn. How to identify the problem, and
how to find the solutions. Not so much on teaching you the dates and
places and facts. Then it made sense.

I think that school also is an indicator that a person can stay with
something for a good while, and not move on or quit.

Sounds good in theory and sometimes college grads. only know about theory. I
only had high school education with a couple of courses at a college, but I
hired and had a number of college grads who worked for me. Some were good,
others knew so little about the business they were trained in that it was
like I had hired a total amateur. I placed little importance on college
degrees and more importance on knowledge and the ability to learn quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
mm wrote:

(snip)
I fondly remember King Gillette's "Blue Blades", and even the "foxhole
radios" made from them during WWII.

http://members.aol.com/djadamson7/articles/foxhole.html

I believe it was King Gillette who first came up with the concept of
"giving away" the razors so he could then sell you the blades forever.

A concept that HP, Lexmark, and the other printer companies have taken to
heart- sell the printer for next to nothing, and screw them over on the
refills. Lotsa people find a new inkjet only costs a few bucks more than new
carts for their year-old printers, and just throw away the old ones.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 03:40:54 GMT, wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
mm wrote:

I find it too much trouble to sharpen blades when the possibility of
buying new ones was still reasonable.

I actually have some sort of razor blade sharpener, about 5 inches in
diameter and an inch thick, with a fold-out crank handle. It has a
clamp for the blade and a leather wheel that works as a much more
effeciient strop. One pushes the blade against the wheel and as one
cranks, it gradually lifts the blade up, so one knows when he is done.

But handling a double edged blade to get it in right was not easy.
And either restoring multiple blades, or having to sharpen only one at
a time and putting it back in the razor when done were both
inconvenient.

I can't remember where I got it. It was in perfect condition when I
got it, but I made the sad mistake of displaying it in the bathroom
(seemed appropriate) and even though I only take baths in that
bathroom and not hot or steamy baths, and nothing else shows water
damage, it rusted some. Maybe when I have time, I can clean it up.
Usually I use a wire wheel, but the underlying steel surface was
almost mirror smooth.

I do wonder sometimes if the edges of the 200 blades I just bought
will get dull even if they aren't used. Does anyone know?

For example, I think some plastic is a very thick liquid and will
deform just because of gravity with enough time. I think the shop
teacher said that about glass, and that window panes eventually become
thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top.

(snip)
I fondly remember King Gillette's "Blue Blades", and even the "foxhole
radios" made from them during WWII.

http://members.aol.com/djadamson7/articles/foxhole.html

I believe it was King Gillette who first came up with the concept of
"giving away" the razors so he could then sell you the blades forever.

A concept that HP, Lexmark, and the other printer companies have taken to
heart- sell the printer for next to nothing, and screw them over on the
refills. Lotsa people find a new inkjet only costs a few bucks more than new
carts for their year-old printers, and just throw away the old ones.

Maybe a good time to mention that some Walgreens drugstores will
refill cartridges. It says "Savings of up to 50%. Takes only a few
minutes" So that seems to mean they refill yours when you bring it
in, and you save no more than 50% of the cost of a new one. I'll
still do it at home. Plus the fact that the Walgreens near me don't
do it, and the three in Baltimore that do are on Harford Rd. Belair
Rd. and in Essex or Dundalk. Far away.

But Walgreens has big advantages in that it is open on Christmas and
New Years and even sells some food. Some like the one near me are
open 24-hours a day. A year or two ago, I had to go to my uncle's
funeral, a"h, and I wanted to go see my grandparents' first home about
50 miles away, and I had forgotten to bring a camera. Walgreens was
open on Xmas day, when nothing else was, and sold them.

The apartment building that my grandparents moved to in 1907 had been
torn down, but I still got satisfaction from seeing it. I recently
got the address from my grandmother's Ellis Island papers.
www.ellisislandrecords.com iirc. My grandfather had come about 6
months earlier.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

wrote:
Steve B wrote:
wrote

[...]

Well, to some degree theoretical education has gone off and separated
itself from actual practice. When I went to college (paralyzed around
technology), way back before the dinosaurs, everybody had built
something. A hovercraft, a geiger counter, a car, a telescope,
something; usually, a bunch of things. Not true no more; I think it's
because they all spent their time on computers instead. Often they
graduate still never having built anything outside the virtual world.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

EXT wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

wrote

[...]

A lot of grief has come from the belief that if you go to business
school and get a business degree, then you can run a business, any
business, without having to know anything about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

mm wrote:

I do wonder sometimes if the edges of the 200 blades I just bought
will get dull even if they aren't used. Does anyone know?

I wonder how much of the dulling of a blade is corrosion. Otherwise,
why have stainless steel blades? And how much corrosion is affected by
scraping the thing on your skin.

For example, I think some plastic is a very thick liquid and will
deform just because of gravity with enough time. I think the shop
teacher said that about glass, and that window panes eventually become
thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top.

Nah, that's kind of an urban legend in practice. I've seen it worked
out, and over a thousand years at normal temperatures you'd see like a
couple of microns of flow.

On the other hand, we all know that aluminum wiring will squeeze itself
out from under a screw head over time, don't we?

(snip)
I fondly remember King Gillette's "Blue Blades", and even the "foxhole
radios" made from them during WWII.

What about "injector" razors? I still have mine.

PCV vs. metal traps Eigenvector Home Repair 13 October 13th 06 04:26 AM
Lint Traps Timo Home Repair 1 January 5th 06 09:46 PM
Lint traps for washers? barry martin Home Repair 1 October 5th 04 04:33 PM
Country Mouse - City Mouse: A Reply To Scott Cramer. Tom Watson Woodworking 16 July 31st 03 05:59 PM