Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Feezers in Garage

Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?

I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote in message
news

Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?

I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.

Don't know why. Some freezers do state suitable for out-building use. My
parents have had a 'normal' freezer in their garage for about 8 years
without any problems. I too have a 'normal' freezer in our garage for about
12 months and it's fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 14:51, Edward W. Thompson
wrote:
It seems that all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. *

Not all of them. These days this compatibility is usually listed
specifically. For freezers (rather than fridge freezers) it's very
common to cope with cold surroundings as they're so often kept out in
the garage.

The underlying reason is cheap crap thermostats. The simpler design
measures more of a temperature difference than an absolute temperature
inside, so it's confused by cold surroundings. Many brand new fridges
are sprouting actual displays of temperature (digital or bar graph) on
the outside and most of these ought to cope (although there will
surely be cheapskate cowboys).

On a similar basis, is it a terrible thing to buy a new Hotpoint
fridge? Normally I wouldn't consider it, but this one looks really
well designed and it's made in Poland, not the UK (possibly by Creda,
then badged for Hotpoint)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

The Hotpoint name is currently owned by Indesit (Merloni Brothers).

It was part of GEC, then GE, and then independant following a
management buy-out. Their kit was manufactured in Peterborough.
I don't know where it's manufactured now. Merloni initially said
they were going to keep the name for use in the UK where it was
recognised as one of the better makes. It's not so well known
across the rest of Europe -- back in the GEC days, they used to
sell only their top-of-the-range products out to the rest of EU.
Having been one of the the first to come out with things like
microprocessor controlled washing machines, they found the market
for those top end products was mostly the rest of EU and through
UK staff sales. Hotpoint used to manufacture white goods for
other well known makes too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Merloni initially said
they were going to keep the name for use in the UK where it was
recognised as one of the better makes.

Hotpoint? FFS the Fratelli Merloni really kidded themselves there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On a similar basis, is it a terrible thing to buy a new Hotpoint
fridge? Normally I wouldn't consider it, but this one looks really
well designed and it's made in Poland, not the UK (possibly by Creda,
then badged for Hotpoint)

I don't think any fridge has been made in the UK for a very long time.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On a similar basis, is it a terrible thing to buy a new Hotpoint
fridge? Normally I wouldn't consider it, but this one looks really
well designed and it's made in Poland, not the UK (possibly by Creda,
then badged for Hotpoint)

I don't think any fridge has been made in the UK for a very long time.

Not sure *what* they make the

"April 2004

Lec move into new modern offices which sit next to the state of art
factory."

http://www.lec.co.uk/History_p23.aspx

And it is as clear as mud if the factory is still in use.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 10:07, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I don't think any fridge has been made in the UK for a very long time.

Half the current Hotpoint range is badged as "Made in Great Britain"

The models that have the obviously far better design, obviously better
build quality on the shelves and drawers, but still the same crappy
glue on the logo so that the letters fall off, are badged as "Poland".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You may be getting blanket advice that's more applicable to fridge/
freezers.

Apart from the more expensive models, many fridge/freezers share a
single compressor to cool both parts.

If the environment is around the same temperature that the main fridge
compartment is set to, the compressor rarely gets to start and the
freezer compartment will not be cooled sufficiently.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We went to Curry's in Kirkcaldy and specifically asked for a freezer with
temperature setting suitable for use in a garage. No one there could help
us so we went to Curry's in Dunfermline and the sales assistant there told
us it was no problem. They had some in stock that could operate in agarage
at very low temeratures so we bought a BEKO. It has worked perfectly for
the last 3 years.

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote in message
news

Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?

I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps both shops had sales people with no real knowledge - but the luck of
the draw was a success.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote in message
news

Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?

I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.

Had a Zanussi OUTSIDE (but under cover) for years.

It just works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 17:29, "Vortex2"
wrote:
"Edward W. Thompson" wrote in messagenews

Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. *It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. *When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. *Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?

I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.

Had a Zanussi OUTSIDE (but under cover) for years.

It just works.

We've always (always = 35 years) had our freezer in the garage, and
it's a free standing garage near Edinburgh. I can't remember if the
current one is number 2 or 3 but it's probably some 15 years old now.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?

I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.

No idea why a stand alone freezer would have a problem.
Fridge freezers with a single compressor are different. They normally
cool the fridge to the correct temperature and with luck this is enough
for the freezer as well. In a cold environment the fridge may not need
cooling so the freezer would not get cooled either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
Edward W. Thompson wrote:
Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?
I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.

No idea why a stand alone freezer would have a problem.
Fridge freezers with a single compressor are different. They normally
cool the fridge to the correct temperature and with luck this is enough
for the freezer as well. In a cold environment the fridge may not need
cooling so the freezer would not get cooled either.

the only problem I have found with ours is the poor insulation allows
condensation to form on the top

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Invisible Man wrote:
Edward W. Thompson wrote:
[...]

(I wish we had American style houses with basements)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

(I wish we had American style houses with basements)

You do know why they have basements?
AFAIK its because they don't have damp proof floors and it is to stop the
living rooms getting too damp.

They have things like drains under gravel topped with plain concrete for
floors and no damp proof membranes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

(I wish we had American style houses with basements)

You do know why they have basements?
AFAIK its because they don't have damp proof floors and it is to stop the
living rooms getting too damp.

They have things like drains under gravel topped with plain concrete for
floors and no damp proof membranes.

They are also most common in tornado alley, because they save lives.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:33:01 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message

(I wish we had American style houses with basements)

You do know why they have basements?
AFAIK its because they don't have damp proof floors and it is to stop the
living rooms getting too damp.

They have things like drains under gravel topped with plain concrete for
floors and no damp proof membranes.

Perhaps some are as you say but every home I have had in Nort America
(5) the basements were fully water proof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:51:28 +0000, Edward W. Thompson
wrote:

Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?

I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.

As a question to a manufacturer 'what is the effect on freezer
operation if the ambient temperature falls below 10 deg C'? I have
been told that if the ambient temperature falls significantly below
10 deg C the freezer will cut out and will 'defrost'. He couldn't
explain why that would happen as I pointed out that the thermostat in
the feezer is set at about -10 deg C as far as I know. All sounds
like a 'stretch' to me.

As a thoiught, I don't know what freezers use as their 'sensor' but
if it is a liquid capillary ( in this day I doubt it) and the
capillary is routed external to the insulation, ambient temperature
may influence its operation.

It is very strange that the major manufacturers of freezers (Bosch,
Zanussi, Liebherr, Whirlpool, Electrolux) all state the lowest rated
ambient temperature is 10 deg C. There must be a reason. Is the
reason for 'rating' purposes and low ambient temperature does not
influence operation of the machine?

I very much doubt that many people have enough space in their homes
for a large chest type freezer and it defies logic to heat a space to
allow the placement of a machine that has the sole purpose of freezing
:-).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

(Excuse the full quote, but I couldn't work out a sensible place to
snip and keep context)

People have covered combined fridge-freezers with a single compressor
already. I'm no refrigeration expert, but a Google session gives me:

Freezers are designed to work in a range of ambient temperatures, and,
as you've found, those available in the UK have a particular range.
The range your particular model works in will be listed as a 'Climate
Class'. The Climate Classes you are likely to come across a

• N (Normal) Class = +16°C to +32°C ambient room temperature
• SN (Sub Normal) Class = +10°C to +32°C ambient room temperature
• ST (Sub Tropical) Class = +18°C to +38°C ambient room temperature
• T (Tropical) Class = +18°C to +43°C ambient room temperature

(Info from http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/module...owpage&pid=182
)

If the ambient temperature drops below the range the freezer was
designed for, then I *think* the problem is with the expansion valve.
If its a thermostatic one ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion_valve
), then the valve will close completely, stopping the refrigeration
cycle. There's a picture of such a valve (in this case, used in air
conditioning systems) he http://www.hvacmechanic.com/txv.htm

The advice I have seen elsewhere is to heat the room the freezer is in
to keep the ambient temperature above its rated minimum, so in the
case of a freezer rated as SN, the ambient temperature should be kept
above 10 degrees Centigrade.

So, to answer your original question, if the freezer has a
thermostatic expansion valve ( and I think all domestic ones do ),
then with a SN Climate Class, at an ambient temperature below 10
degrees Centigrade, the expansion valve will be closing, meaning low/
no refrigerant circulation, and little/no cooling. If this isn't
sensed, the compressor will run continuously and wear itself out
quicker than usual. You may find the heat from the running compressor
warms up the valve enough to allow coolant flow, but I think that it
might not be a good idea to rely on that.

As for why the valve is set up to close up as the ambient temperature
drops, you'd have to look at the physics of vapour-compression cooling
as used in domestic freezers, and the efficiency gains in running
costs when using thermostatic valves. Not my area of expertise, I'm
afraid, but I'd be interested in an explanation from someone who is.

Regards,

Sid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 16:27, "Stewart" wrote:
Beko has a freezer that is set to work in *a garage

Could you tell me the model number, please. I looked on Beko's
website, and the two chest freezers both had SN Climate Class - +10°C
to +32°C ambient room temperature. Searching the website for 'garage'
came up wi' nowt.

Of course, I may be wrong in my assumption that people would normally
put a chest freezer in a garage, rather than a cupboard style.

Cheers,

Sid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So if i understand this thread correctly:
fridge/freezers with a single compressor dont work in cold garages,
nor do freezers with eco gases replacing the older polluting freon.

I was going to put a freezer in the cellar to save energy.

If I put it in the kitchen then in the winter it will warm the room as it
cools the food.

But in the summer it would use loads of electricity cooling the food (and
warming the room)
So it be more energy efficient to keep it in the cooler cellar,
which then wouldnt be below 10 degrees C.

But I dont want to carry it up and down the cellar steps every year.

Are there any models in Britain suitable for use at under 10 degrees C?

[george]
-------

unopened or edward or sid quoted google thus:

Freezers are designed to work in a range of ambient temperatures, and,
as you've found, those available in the UK have a particular range.
The range your particular model works in will be listed as a 'Climate
Class'. The Climate Classes you are likely to come across a

• N (Normal) Class = +16°C to +32°C ambient room temperature
• SN (Sub Normal) Class = +10°C to +32°C ambient room temperature
• ST (Sub Tropical) Class = +18°C to +38°C ambient room temperature
• T (Tropical) Class = +18°C to +43°C ambient room temperature

(Info from
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/module...owpage&pid=182
)

xxxxxxxxxxxx

The advice I have seen elsewhere is to heat the room the freezer is in
to keep the ambient temperature above its rated minimum, so in the
case of a freezer rated as SN, the ambient temperature should be kept
above 10 degrees Centigrade.

xxxxxxxxxx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 11:51*am, Edward W. Thompson
wrote:
Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is
a problem, of locating a freezer in an unheated garage. *It seems that
all freezer manufacturers say 10 deg C is the lower limit for their
machines. *When I calll them for an explanation so far I haven't had
anything that makes the slightest sense to me. *Does anyone know the
reason for 10 deg C being the lower limit and if a machine is
subjected to say 0 deg C what is the effect?

*I suspect most large freezers are located in an outside building
unless the house is very large.

Don't know if this comment helps but will offer.
Here in a somewhat colder climate (Canada) we have heard warnings
about fridges with freezer sections not working well when located in
say a cold garage.
The problem being, as far as I can fathom, that the thermostat being
usually located in the 'fridge' section senses that it is cold enough
not to operate the compressor. While however the garage or porch or
wherever the fridge/freezer is located is not cold enough to keep the
freezer section at a sufficiently low temp.
Emphasize that this seems to be only the combined fridge/freezers. We
have have no problems running two old fridges in an attached but
unheated storeroom here in eastern Canada. We presently also run a
smaller chest type freezer out there again with no problems. But here,
next to the North Atlantic our temperatures are not as extreme as
inland North America.
With visions of 'hill-billy' fridges on Kentucky front porches/
verandas to store the mix for the 'hooch' in mind; cheers Terry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is

SNIP

Think its also due to the move from Freon refrigerent to pentane and other
that don't have such a large operating range as Freon This is why people say
"I have a 20 year old freezer working fine in the garden", as it clearly
pre-dates the banning of Freon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 21 Nov, 14:54, "Ian_m" wrote:
"terry" wrote in message

On Nov 19, 11:51 am, Edward W. Thompson
wrote: Not strictly DIY but can someone advise me of the problem, if there is

SNIP

Think its also due to the move from Freon refrigerent to pentane and other
that don't have such a large operating range as Freon This is why people say
"I have a 20 year old freezer working fine in the garden", *as it clearly
pre-dates the banning of Freon.

These last 2 postings are probably getting nearer the truth.

Decades ago we had an excellent upright fridge/freezer from Currys -
Italian made & maybe specially made for Currys - BUT that was in the
days before CH & it was in a semi-detached utility room. It was our
misfortune to discover that it stopped compressing when the ambient
temperature fell below the internal thermostat setting of the fridge.

So my guess is that deeper probing would show 2 linked reasons - (1)
nature of the refrigerant & (2) design of the temperature control
system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

jim wrote:
On 21 Nov, 14:54, "Ian_m" wrote:
"terry" wrote in message

[...]

After saying this:

"Chest freezers are usually installed in a garage or utility room
because of their size and their top opening lids, and work best for
large households wanting to freeze food in bulk."

John Lewis are then pretty unambiguous about the issue:

"Note: manufacturers do not recommend you keep a freezer in the garage
or any other outbuilding, as it may have to use much more energy. Most
models require a minimum ambient temperature of 10°C (50°F) to operate
efficiently. If the outside temperature is any lower, the freezer will
struggle to keep your food chilled – it may even start to defrost. If it
does break down, the appliance may not be covered by the guarantee."

and:

"Ambient operating temperatures for refrigerated appliances make a
difference to how hard the machine has to work to keep food at the right
temperature. We really don’t recommend that you buy a frost-free freezer
and keep it in a garage because it will use much more energy. Chest
freezers are a better option for that environment because they’re double
insulated.

Chris, Large Electrical Partner, John Lewis Newcastle"

http://www.johnlewis.com/Magazine/Feature.aspx?Id=39

--
Rod

onset.