Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Hard gloss surface

On 18 Nov, 16:18, Rod wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
* *Rod wrote:
The doors will be covered with a pvc foil rather than paint, though,
and those are pretty soft.

I agree that paint is also likely to get scratched up pretty quickly
though. *Even gloss proper (melamine-based) laminates aren't really
suitable for horizontal applications.

Having recently used some B&Q white high gloss kitchen unit doors as
source material for bathroom cabinets, I assure you they are melamine
and not PVC finish. (At least the ones I used!) So long as not being
used for kitchen type activities, I'd suggest they would be fine.
Certainly much tougher than any paint job.

That's interesting as I have them too. And had to cut one down, height
wise, using a circular saw. The finish both chipped and melted slightly..
I assumed it was some type of paint.

Hmmm - what I got were some doors from the "it Kitchens Gloss White
Slab" range. They didn't seem to melt for me - but maybe I was lucky?
Certainly quite a solid, decent thickness layer - whatever it is!

--
Rod

onset.

Well, since that's the range I got the door and cabinet side from,
there's a good chance it should match! Looking at it, the area is
pretty small (the bit each side of a cloakroom sink on a 600mm
cabinet, 300mm deep), so it shouldn't have much chance of getting too
ruined. I'm sure a large ceramic tile cut to size would be the best
solution really, but a cabinet door is a lot more reliable to cut the
curve into.
No easier than the wood Dave suggested - I had considered something
'real-woody' and I'm sure it would look great in most situations but,
sadly, my house already suffers from having too many different species
of wood festooned around the place, so I'm reluctant to add to the
overall confusion(!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
GMM wrote:
No easier than the wood Dave suggested - I had considered something
'real-woody' and I'm sure it would look great in most situations but,
sadly, my house already suffers from having too many different species
of wood festooned around the place,

Impossible. ;-)

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Hard gloss surface GMM UK diy 12 November 18th 08 05:31 PM
Marks on High gloss kitchen surface Andrew Simpson UK diy 3 October 23rd 07 10:27 AM
Surface roughness after hard anodizing Adam Metalworking 5 April 20th 06 10:35 PM
Aquatech Gloss not opaque after 1 undercoat 1 gloss coat. Glidden Trade acrylic. [email protected] UK diy 5 May 12th 05 11:50 AM