Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Marks on High gloss kitchen surface

Hi there,

Can somebody help. SWMBO is rather annoyed as I cleaned the floor today and
got splash marks on our High Gloss laminate surface. Problem is the splash
marks can't be removed so floor cleaner must have had something in it to
take the gloss off (possibly diluted acid as it was tiled floor
cleaner!!!!). I've noticed that baby oil makes the mark disappear until I
rub the baby oil off. Is there some sort of gloss available that I can
apply to the surface?. I tried clear varnish but it looked awful so wiped
it back off.

Thanks.

Andrew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Simpson wrote:
Hi there,

Can somebody help. SWMBO is rather annoyed as I cleaned the floor today and
got splash marks on our High Gloss laminate surface. Problem is the splash
marks can't be removed so floor cleaner must have had something in it to
take the gloss off (possibly diluted acid as it was tiled floor
cleaner!!!!). I've noticed that baby oil makes the mark disappear until I
rub the baby oil off. Is there some sort of gloss available that I can
apply to the surface?. I tried clear varnish but it looked awful so wiped
it back off.

Wait til she is not looking and do the whole top with the floor
cleaner... see if she can spot the less glossy bit then ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Simpson wrote:
Hi there,

Can somebody help. SWMBO is rather annoyed as I cleaned the floor
today and got splash marks on our High Gloss laminate surface. Problem is
the splash marks can't be removed so floor cleaner must
have had something in it to take the gloss off (possibly diluted acid
as it was tiled floor cleaner!!!!). I've noticed that baby oil makes
the mark disappear until I rub the baby oil off. Is there some sort
of gloss available that I can apply to the surface?. I tried clear
varnish but it looked awful so wiped it back off.

Sounds like the cleaner has removed the laquer finish. Can you track down
the manufacturer of the laminate?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Andrew Simpson wrote:
Hi there,

Can somebody help. SWMBO is rather annoyed as I cleaned the floor today and
got splash marks on our High Gloss laminate surface. Problem is the splash
marks can't be removed so floor cleaner must have had something in it to
take the gloss off (possibly diluted acid as it was tiled floor
cleaner!!!!). I've noticed that baby oil makes the mark disappear until I
rub the baby oil off. Is there some sort of gloss available that I can
apply to the surface?. I tried clear varnish but it looked awful so wiped
it back off.

Thanks.

Andrew.

Have you tried to polish the dull area with t-cut, brasso etc, it sounds
like the finish might simply just have dulled with the floor cleaner and
it may polish back to a shine, especially as the baby oil seemingly made
good the repair simply by wetting it made is shiny again.

ste

High gloss white board Haron UK diy 1 August 18th 07 07:17 PM
Question about very, very high gloss interior paint Al Home Repair 13 November 22nd 06 06:29 PM
B&Q - delays on Gloss white shaker kitchen Rosel UK diy 7 September 22nd 06 05:50 PM
seeking high-gloss, waterborne clearcoat nemoblack Woodworking 1 September 12th 06 11:41 PM
Exterior Paint: Flat, Semi, or High Gloss? milo Home Repair 11 July 28th 06 08:04 AM