Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timber Dipping - PVC Gutter

Hi all.
I have a 3 metre length of (B n Q) marley half round gutter with 2 end
stops.
I will be using it to treat 2.8m length door frame timbers.
I have a solvent based preservative (cuprinol trade preserv.).
The question is,will the solvent bugger up the rubber seals in the end
stops?

If so, what type of sealant will be solvent resistant?

Thanks

Arthuir

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
I have a 3 metre length of (B n Q) marley half round gutter with 2 end
stops.
I will be using it to treat 2.8m length door frame timbers.
I have a solvent based preservative (cuprinol trade preserv.).
The question is,will the solvent bugger up the rubber seals in the end
stops?

If so, what type of sealant will be solvent resistant?

Thanks

Arthuir

Simple answer. None. Cuprinol is an acid based timber preserver and can
eat its way through most petro-chemical materials with some ease.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Nov, 13:34, "BigWallop" wrote:
"Arthur2" wrote in message

Hi all.
I have a 3 metre length of (B n Q) marley half round gutter with 2 end
stops.
I will be using it to treat 2.8m length door frame timbers.
I have a solvent based preservative (cuprinol trade preserv.).
The question is,will the solvent bugger up the rubber seals in the end
stops?

If so, what type of sealant will be solvent resistant?

Thanks

Arthuir

Simple answer. *None. *Cuprinol is an acid based timber preserver and can
eat its way through most petro-chemical materials with some ease.

Which is an interesting comment given that the sprayer that Cuprinol
sell through B 'n Q for their Shed Preservative is no more than a
standard garden insecticide sprayer.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message

Hi all.
I have a 3 metre length of (B n Q) marley half round gutter with 2 end
stops.
I will be using it to treat 2.8m length door frame timbers.
I have a solvent based preservative (cuprinol trade preserv.).
The question is,will the solvent bugger up the rubber seals in the end
stops?

If so, what type of sealant will be solvent resistant?

Thanks

Arthuir

Simple answer. None. Cuprinol is an acid based timber preserver and can
eat its way through most petro-chemical materials with some ease.

Which is an interesting comment given that the sprayer that Cuprinol
sell through B 'n Q for their Shed Preservative is no more than a
standard garden insecticide sprayer.

Rob

And? If the sprayer is made from non-oil based material, then it's fine.
Most sealants have a solvent that is oil based, and, as such, when they are
exposed to a substance that enhances the softening of the sealant, even
after initial curing by solvent evaporation, it will not be as resilient as
it should be.

There is a difference between Thermo-Plastics and Oil Based Solvents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message

Hi all.
I have a 3 metre length of (B n Q) marley half round gutter with 2 end
stops.
I will be using it to treat 2.8m length door frame timbers.
I have a solvent based preservative (cuprinol trade preserv.).
The question is,will the solvent bugger up the rubber seals in the end
stops?

If so, what type of sealant will be solvent resistant?

Thanks

Arthuir

Simple answer. None. Cuprinol is an acid based timber preserver and can
eat its way through most petro-chemical materials with some ease.

Which is an interesting comment given that the sprayer that Cuprinol
sell through B 'n Q for their Shed Preservative is no more than a
standard garden insecticide sprayer.

Rob

some of the sprayable fence treatments though are water based not solvent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:

Hi all.
I have a 3 metre length of (B n Q) marley half round gutter with 2 end
stops.
I will be using it to treat 2.8m length door frame timbers.
I have a solvent based preservative (cuprinol trade preserv.).
The question is,will the solvent bugger up the rubber seals in the end
stops?

If so, what type of sealant will be solvent resistant?

Thanks

Arthuir

why not just line the gutter loosely with polythene sheet.

NT