Posted to uk.d-i-y
ab ab is offline

Default cenral heating/Radiators

Our central heating radiators on the ground floor have one by one stopped
getting hot.
They have all been taken off the wall and been flushed out with water, but
this hasn't
made any difference. We have mircobore copper piping, we also have a combi
boiler.
The Radiators upstairs always get hot. The central heating system is about
30 years old.
The combi boiler is about 10/11 years old. Does anybody have any idea what
the problem is,
and how we can resolve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ab" mum@mum wrote in message
et...
Our central heating radiators on the ground floor have one by one stopped
getting hot.
They have all been taken off the wall and been flushed out with water, but
this hasn't
made any difference. We have mircobore copper piping, we also have a combi
boiler.
The Radiators upstairs always get hot. The central heating system is about
30 years old.
The combi boiler is about 10/11 years old. Does anybody have any idea what
the problem is,
and how we can resolve it.

Does the system have a header tank, maybe in the loft or above the boiler,
and is it filling properly?

If no to the first question, then how is the water replenished in the
system?

After you are re-connecting the radiators, are you bleeding all the air out
the system properly?

If the answer to question two is a fill loop from the mains water supply,
then are you topping the system up to its full pressure after you have bled
the air from each radiator?

Does the boiler activate properly when you demand hot water?

I could go on asking questions, but these questions need an answer first,
before we can give any type of advice on what could be wrong. And I'm sure
others will be along with more questions once you have answered these ones.

Please give more info' on this please. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ab wrote:
Our central heating radiators on the ground floor have one by one stopped
getting hot.
They have all been taken off the wall and been flushed out with water, but
this hasn't
made any difference. We have mircobore copper piping, we also have a combi
boiler.
The Radiators upstairs always get hot. The central heating system is about
30 years old.
The combi boiler is about 10/11 years old. Does anybody have any idea what
the problem is,
and how we can resolve it.

Tired pump?
Sludge?
Scaled up microbore?
Airlock?

You say they've stopped over time. How long are you talking about? A
week? A year?
Have you tried turning off all of the upstairs rads? What happens if
you do?
My next step would be to flush the system rather than the individual
radiators, maybe with some cleaning chemical. See what comes out.
If flushing doesn't work I'd reluctantly replace the pump I guess.
The age of the system shouldn't make too much difference in this
respect other than as an indicator that things might be wearing out.
That said the only thing I can think of which might cause this problem
because of wear would be the pump.

Good luck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ab ab is offline

[...]

Thanks for responding

We don't have a header tank

The water is replenished in the combo

All the air has been bled out of radiators

We get hot water, no problem.

A friend has called us tonight and suggested a power flush and
it will cost £300 to £400

Posted to uk.d-i-y
[...]

First it was the hall, just over a year ago, then the Dining room about a
year
ago, but now the two in the living room are just warm, the kitchen radiator
remains hot. We are going to try a power flush, if this doesn't work we'll
Get someone to look at the pump. Thanks for you help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ab" mum@mum wrote in message
et...
and how we can resolve it.

snipped

Please give more info' on this please. Thanks.

Thanks for responding

We don't have a header tank

That's not a bad thing. Please read on.

The water is replenished in the combo

How is the water replenished in the heating system? You should have a
filling loop from the mains water supply to the heating circuit. Does your
boiler have a gauge on the front with numbers? The number showing on the
gauge should be somewhere near the 1 or 1.5 mark, at least, on the black
pointer.

All the air has been bled out of radiators

After you bled the air out, how did you put more water into the heating
circuit? You have to put more water in when you have taken it out of the
radiators.

We get hot water, no problem.

So the boiler is working fine. Good. The radiators are seperate from the
hot water system. They are on a closed loop of pipework that needs to
filled seperately from a source that allows the system to be pressurised for
the pump to circulate hot water around the radiators. After many years, the
heating circuit can become void of water because it has simply escaped. You
have to keep the water in this heating circuit, topped up to keep it
working.

A friend has called us tonight and suggested a power flush and
it will cost £300 to £400

You may have to get this done if you have allowed the heating circuit to
boil off all the water it had in it. The sludge build up will have caused
blocks along the thin pipework in places.

But I would ask you first to look for a flexible hose under your boiler. It
should have little taps on either end of it, or at least be fitted at one
end to a little tap, and will need connected at the other end to allow
filling of the heating circuit.

Please have a look for this first. Please Please Please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:17:43 -0000, "ab" mum@mum wrote:

Our central heating radiators on the ground floor have one by one stopped
getting hot.
They have all been taken off the wall and been flushed out with water, but
this hasn't
made any difference. We have mircobore copper piping, we also have a combi
boiler.
The Radiators upstairs always get hot. The central heating system is about
30 years old.
The combi boiler is about 10/11 years old. Does anybody have any idea what
the problem is,
and how we can resolve it.

At that age you might have a dropped-loop system in 6mm tube. The
pipes will clog up in the lowest places over that time. That would
explain them stopping one by one .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Nov, 00:39, "BigWallop" wrote:
"ab" mum@mum wrote in message

et...

and how we can resolve it.

snipped

[...]

what a fuken thick ****** a boiler cant BOIL offthe water in a close
system. iit can only leak out go and lern about boilers

But I would ask you first to look for a flexible hose under your boiler. It
should have little taps on either end of it, or at least be fitted at one
end to a little tap, and will need connected at the other end to allow
filling of the heating circuit.

Please have a look for this first. Please Please Please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 2:17*pm, "ab" mum@mum wrote:
Our central heating radiators on the ground floor have one by one stopped
getting hot.
They have all been taken off the wall and been flushed out with water, but
this hasn't
made any difference. We have mircobore copper piping, we also have a combi
boiler.
The Radiators upstairs always get hot. The central heating system is about
30 years old.
The combi boiler is about 10/11 years old. Does anybody have any idea what
the problem is,
and how we can resolve it.

A flush is the last thing I would do, pumps wear, houses settle and
pipes can get airlock, does water come out with boiler off and water
hot. Is it zoned with zone valves and two pumps. Is it one feed for 2
floors, is there a balance valve off the boiler. Check for high areas
off boiler you could get air lock at. Here is a site with only boiler
pros, www.heatinghelp.com there you should be helped. What did the
several pros that came out tell you, over here nobody peddles the
flush that I know of. I would guess bad pump or air lock, since it was
gradual Id say pump, and its cheaper than a flush.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 8:17*pm, "ab" mum@mum wrote:
Our central heating radiators on the ground floor have one by one stopped
getting hot.
They have all been taken off the wall and been flushed out with water, but
this hasn't
made any difference. We have mircobore copper piping, we also have a combi
boiler.
The Radiators upstairs always get hot. The central heating system is about
30 years old.
The combi boiler is about 10/11 years old. Does anybody have any idea what
the problem is,
and how we can resolve it.

Just a thought. Are they fitted with TRVs? If so it is worth
checking if the valve pins are stuck closed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:17:43 +0000, ab wrote:

Our central heating radiators on the ground floor have one by one stopped
getting hot.

Does this help?
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Heating_Repair

(My first thought is the pump packing up.)

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

A: Because it messes up the order in which people read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Chas
writes
On 13 Nov, 00:39, "BigWallop" wrote:
"ab" mum@mum wrote in message

et...

and how we can resolve it.

snipped

[...]

Chas - I think that this URL is what you need

http://www.oup.com/elt/global/produc...sh/elementary/

--
geoff