Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'hand wave' light switches

I'd like to be able to turn on the lights under my kitchen wall
cupboards by just waving a hand under the cupboard. Something like
this: http://www.anigmo.com/index.php?page=demo but without the dimmer
function is what I'm looking for.
Googling for 'hand wave light switch' or similar doesn't turn up
anything useful.
Does anyone know of a UK supplier of something like this?
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:07:00 -0800 (PST), pcb1962 wrote:

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of something like this?

Can't see the demo needs some propritary plugin, but any standalone PIR
will do the job.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pcb1962" wrote in message
I'd like to be able to turn on the lights under my kitchen wall
cupboards by just waving a hand under the cupboard. Something like
this: http://www.anigmo.com/index.php?page=demo but without the dimmer
function is what I'm looking for.
Googling for 'hand wave light switch' or similar doesn't turn up
anything useful.
Does anyone know of a UK supplier of something like this?
Thanks

Something like this perhaps.
http://www.sensor.co.uk/SS01.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pcb1962" wrote in message
I'd like to be able to turn on the lights under my kitchen wall
cupboards by just waving a hand under the cupboard. Something like
this: http://www.anigmo.com/index.php?page=demo but without the dimmer
function is what I'm looking for.

You usually need to get quite close to that sort of switch for it to work,
which might be difficult if it is out of sight under a cupboard.

Googling for 'hand wave light switch' or similar doesn't turn up
anything useful.

Try PIR light switch. You should find quite a selection - they are commonly
used for places like lavatories in public buildings.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"pcb1962" wrote in message
I'd like to be able to turn on the lights under my kitchen wall
cupboards by just waving a hand under the cupboard. Something like
this: http://www.anigmo.com/index.php?page=demo but without the dimmer
function is what I'm looking for.

You usually need to get quite close to that sort of switch for it to work,
which might be difficult if it is out of sight under a cupboard.

Googling for 'hand wave light switch' or similar doesn't turn up
anything useful.

Try PIR light switch. You should find quite a selection - they are
commonly used for places like lavatories in public buildings.

Colin Bignell

Are your lights fluorescent?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Nov, 18:28, "John" wrote:
"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in messagenews:q9KdnYDMtpTUrI7UnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@gigan ews.com...

"pcb1962" wrote in message
I'd like to be able to turn on the lights under my kitchen wall
cupboards by just waving a hand under the cupboard. Something like
this:http://www.anigmo.com/index.php?page=demobut without the dimmer
function is what I'm looking for.

You usually need to get quite close to that sort of switch for it to work,
which might be difficult if it is out of sight under a cupboard.

Googling for 'hand wave light switch' or similar doesn't turn up
anything useful.

Try PIR light switch. You should find quite a selection - they are
commonly used for places like lavatories in public buildings.

Colin Bignell

Are your lights fluorescent?

Low voltage halogen, probably these: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QLHC4W.html
Not sure PIR is suitable, first cos I don't want the lights to come on
every time someone enters the room, and second cos there's no 'off'
operation, all the ones I see have a timer and switch off after a
certain period of no movement. What I had in mind is one wave of the
hand for on and another wave for off. Now that I think about it the
idea is impractical, as anytime you reached under a cupboard for
something the lights would go off, or on. Think I'll go with the one
in the link that Nick posted, and mount one on the wall at the back of
each worktop area.

Programmable Light Switches? Fred Finisterre UK diy 0 December 16th 07 07:20 PM
Light switches Dave UK diy 7 September 16th 07 10:30 PM
Wireless light switches Simon Pawson UK diy 4 November 27th 04 09:44 PM
Light Switches and Sockets Faz UK diy 3 October 26th 04 08:20 PM
Live-ish light switches Max Christian UK diy 27 October 5th 04 08:13 AM