Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tile grout cleaning question

Sorry to be asking such a novice question
but I have some thin powdery dried tile grout
on some of my new shower tiles (Not obvious because of the colour but
you can feel it when you are in the shower and touching the tiles).

Am I right in thinking its just a matter of elbow grease and nylon
scourer or is there a special product I can use to get rid of it?

I don't want to spoil the glaze on the new tiles.

Reason for stupidity, didn't realise the tiler chap hadn't done a very
good job of cleaning off the grout until we got back from our hols and
started using the shower.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Sorry to be asking such a novice question
but I have some thin powdery dried tile grout
on some of my new shower tiles (Not obvious because of the colour but
you can feel it when you are in the shower and touching the tiles).

Am I right in thinking its just a matter of elbow grease and nylon
scourer or is there a special product I can use to get rid of it?

I don't want to spoil the glaze on the new tiles.

Reason for stupidity, didn't realise the tiler chap hadn't done a very
good job of cleaning off the grout until we got back from our hols and
started using the shower.

dedics

I'd try a window scraper. Plastic handle with a stanley blade type thing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Sorry to be asking such a novice question
but I have some thin powdery dried tile grout
on some of my new shower tiles (Not obvious because of the colour but
you can feel it when you are in the shower and touching the tiles).

Am I right in thinking its just a matter of elbow grease and nylon
scourer or is there a special product I can use to get rid of it?

I don't want to spoil the glaze on the new tiles.

Reason for stupidity, didn't realise the tiler chap hadn't done a very
good job of cleaning off the grout until we got back from our hols and
started using the shower.

dedics

I'd try a window scraper. Plastic handle with a stanley blade type thing

won't that scratch the glaze?

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Sorry to be asking such a novice question
but I have some thin powdery dried tile grout
on some of my new shower tiles (Not obvious because of the colour but
you can feel it when you are in the shower and touching the tiles).

Am I right in thinking its just a matter of elbow grease and nylon
scourer or is there a special product I can use to get rid of it?

I don't want to spoil the glaze on the new tiles.

Reason for stupidity, didn't realise the tiler chap hadn't done a
very good job of cleaning off the grout until we got back from our
hols and started using the shower.

dedics

I'd try a window scraper. Plastic handle with a stanley blade type thing

won't that scratch the glaze?

No, its very hard to scratch glaze (or glass for that matter) with a
steel blade - even using some force.

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just weak
solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick used sparingly.

Once it is all clean, it would also be worthwhile treating with Lithofin
grout protector. That will keep it clean and new looking for many years.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't respond
to acid

Once it is all clean, it would also be worthwhile treating with Lithofin
grout protector. That will keep it clean and new looking for many years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Sorry to be asking such a novice question
but I have some thin powdery dried tile grout
on some of my new shower tiles (Not obvious because of the colour but
you can feel it when you are in the shower and touching the tiles).

Am I right in thinking its just a matter of elbow grease and nylon
scourer or is there a special product I can use to get rid of it?

yes. Use a quality tough descaler, but keep it OFF your chrome taps.

Brick acid also works well. (15% HCl)

I don't want to spoil the glaze on the new tiles.

You wont.
Thats glass, and only hydrofluoric acid attacks it.

Reason for stupidity, didn't realise the tiler chap hadn't done a very
good job of cleaning off the grout until we got back from our hols and
started using the shower.

Yup.
beaver away with rubber gloves and sponge dipped in acid. Even vinegar
works, but its damned slow.

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

You may imagine what you like, all the ones i have used respond to acid.

Once it is all clean, it would also be worthwhile treating with
Lithofin grout protector. That will keep it clean and new looking for
many years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Sorry to be asking such a novice question
but I have some thin powdery dried tile grout
on some of my new shower tiles (Not obvious because of the colour but
you can feel it when you are in the shower and touching the tiles).

Am I right in thinking its just a matter of elbow grease and nylon
scourer or is there a special product I can use to get rid of it?

I don't want to spoil the glaze on the new tiles.

Reason for stupidity, didn't realise the tiler chap hadn't done a very
good job of cleaning off the grout until we got back from our hols and
started using the shower.

Absolutely the best thing in the world for this job is a Spontex tough
scourer http://www.spontex.co.uk/

Stainless steel sort of brillo thingy, but essentially non scratch. Buy in
any supermarket.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just weak
solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick used sparingly.

I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't respond
to acid

Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout. Epoxy perhaps - but
unlikely to be used on a shower.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

ok off to beaver away now....

thanks for all your replies.

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just weak
solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick used sparingly.

I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't
respond to acid

Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout.

What else is a standard white grout likely to be? Something has to make
it set, and it isn't cement

Epoxy perhaps - but
unlikely to be used on a shower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just weak
solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick used sparingly.

I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't
respond to acid

Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout.

What else is a standard white grout likely to be? Something has to make
it set, and it isn't cement

I think you will find it *is* actually white cement and a very fine
aggregate.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just weak
solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick used sparingly.

I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't
respond to acid

Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout.

What else is a standard white grout likely to be? Something has to make
it set, and it isn't cement

It is, of a sort. Probably a gypsum based thing if it isn't cement based.

So like plaster really.

Epoxy perhaps - but
unlikely to be used on a shower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just weak
solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick used
sparingly.

I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't
respond to acid

Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout.

What else is a standard white grout likely to be? Something has to
make it set, and it isn't cement

I think you will find it *is* actually white cement and a very fine
aggregate.

I'd say it was too bright white to be even partly cement
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just weak
solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick used
sparingly.

I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't
respond to acid

Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout.

What else is a standard white grout likely to be? Something has to
make it set, and it isn't cement

I think you will find it *is* actually white cement and a very fine
aggregate.

I'd say it was too bright white to be even partly cement

Don't be silly. It contains white cement. Cement isn't always grey.
The colour of tile grout depends at least partly on the colour of
cement used.

John Rumm is exactly right; the ingredients are cement and fine
fillers - basically the stone dust extracted from crushing operations
at quarries.

There is also "sanded grout" which is used where the gaps to be
grouted are wider than 3mm. This grout contains cement, fine fillers
and some sand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just weak
solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick used
sparingly.
I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't
respond to acid
Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout.

Was going through boxes of stuff in the garage today, and opened one to
see what was it it. Loads of cans, bottles, etc, and sat there on top
was a tub of "Waterproof acrylic grout"...

So there, now I have seen an Acrylic one. ;-)

What else is a standard white grout likely to be? Something has to
make it set, and it isn't cement
I think you will find it *is* actually white cement and a very fine
aggregate.

I'd say it was too bright white to be even partly cement

Don't be silly. It contains white cement. Cement isn't always grey.
The colour of tile grout depends at least partly on the colour of
cement used.

John Rumm is exactly right; the ingredients are cement and fine
fillers - basically the stone dust extracted from crushing operations
at quarries.

To be fair - both exist, although the commonly available powdered ones
are typically cement based IME. e.g:

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modul...sp?rangeid=105

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't be silly. It contains white cement. Cement isn't always grey.
The colour of tile grout depends at least partly on the colour of
cement used.

White cement is at best off white. Grouts are *bright* white. Ready
mixed grouts don't go off in the tub, cement would. Try thinking.

John Rumm is exactly right; the ingredients are cement and fine
fillers - basically the stone dust extracted from crushing operations
at quarries.

There is also "sanded grout" which is used where the gaps to be
grouted are wider than 3mm. This grout contains cement, fine fillers
and some sand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Bruce wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just
weak solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick
used sparingly.
I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't
respond to acid
Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout.

Was going through boxes of stuff in the garage today, and opened one to
see what was it it. Loads of cans, bottles, etc, and sat there on top
was a tub of "Waterproof acrylic grout"...

So there, now I have seen an Acrylic one. ;-)

I wasn't dreaming then :-) Or dreaming that I'd used it on several
occasions.

What else is a standard white grout likely to be? Something has to
make it set, and it isn't cement
I think you will find it *is* actually white cement and a very fine
aggregate.

I'd say it was too bright white to be even partly cement

Don't be silly. It contains white cement. Cement isn't always grey.
The colour of tile grout depends at least partly on the colour of
cement used.

John Rumm is exactly right; the ingredients are cement and fine
fillers - basically the stone dust extracted from crushing operations
at quarries.

To be fair - both exist, although the commonly available powdered ones
are typically cement based IME. e.g:

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modul...sp?rangeid=105

It all comes down to your interpretation of "white" I suppose. AFAIK the
titanium white we're used to seeing isn't possible with cement, but
maybe white tiles aren't bright white either.
Interesting that the BAL Microflex is cement based but is also flexible
i.e. it contains "built-in admixture to provide flexibility". Can cement
really be made flexible? Try telling that to the conservationists!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

stuart noble wrote:

Don't be silly. It contains white cement. Cement isn't always grey.
The colour of tile grout depends at least partly on the colour of
cement used.

White cement is at best off white. Grouts are *bright* white. Ready
mixed grouts don't go off in the tub, cement would. Try thinking.

John Rumm is exactly right; the ingredients are cement and fine
fillers - basically the stone dust extracted from crushing operations
at quarries.

There is also "sanded grout" which is used where the gaps to be
grouted are wider than 3mm. This grout contains cement, fine fillers
and some sand.

Well, assuming coloured is the same base as white, from la bouche du cheval:

UNIBOND READY MIXED COLOURED WALL TILE GROUT

COMPOSITION COMMENTS
Water based adhesive based on styrene acrylic co-polymer and silica filler.

And
===

UNIBOND CERAMIC WALL TILE GROUT

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

WHITE PORTLAND CEMENT 30-60%

COMPOSITION COMMENTS
Cement-based grout with mineral filler.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Interesting that the BAL Microflex is cement based but is also flexible
i.e. it contains "built-in admixture to provide flexibility". Can cement
really be made flexible?

obama

Yes, it can!

/obama

There is a whole range of admixtures that can provide flexibility in
the matrix. The hydrated cement particles are still stiff; the
flexibility comes from what is in the matrix around them.

Try telling that to the conservationists!

There is no reason for conservationists to consider anything cement
based, especially with admixtures that have not yet stood the test of
centuries of time, when the perfect original materials are still
available in the form of lime mortar etc..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Don't be silly. It contains white cement. Cement isn't always grey.
The colour of tile grout depends at least partly on the colour of
cement used.

White cement is at best off white. Grouts are *bright* white.

No, they aren't. You can deceive yourself as much as you like, but
even the whitest grouts are not remotely "bright" white.

Try thinking.

You never have - so try taking your own advice for a change.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Interesting that the BAL Microflex is cement based but is also flexible
i.e. it contains "built-in admixture to provide flexibility". Can cement
really be made flexible?

obama

Yes, it can!

/obama

There is a whole range of admixtures that can provide flexibility in
the matrix. The hydrated cement particles are still stiff; the
flexibility comes from what is in the matrix around them.

Try telling that to the conservationists!

There is no reason for conservationists to consider anything cement
based, especially with admixtures that have not yet stood the test of
centuries of time, when the perfect original materials are still
available in the form of lime mortar etc..

The secret motto of conversationists is to make the repair as rotten as
the original was, so they don't do themselves out of business ;-)

I believe portland cement was first used in major form to construct the
giant sewer that runs under the embankment.

Its already lasted longer than most lime mortar houses have..

But never allow facts to affect dogma eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The secret motto of conversationists is to make the repair as rotten as
the original was, so they don't do themselves out of business ;-)

LOL! ;-)

I believe portland cement was first used in major form to construct the
giant sewer that runs under the embankment.

Its already lasted longer than most lime mortar houses have..

But never allow facts to affect dogma eh?

Portland cement is the basis of most modern construction. But it does
have its weaknesses, one of which is its strength - IYSWIM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

Don't be silly. It contains white cement. Cement isn't always grey.
The colour of tile grout depends at least partly on the colour of
cement used.

White cement is at best off white. Grouts are *bright* white.

No, they aren't. You can deceive yourself as much as you like, but
even the whitest grouts are not remotely "bright" white.

Try thinking.

You never have - so try taking your own advice for a change.

White cement s pretty bright white, but I suspect white grouts also
contain gypsum and titanium oxide. Certainly some gypsum is IIRC in
ordinary cement anyway..

Mmm. Read wiki on 'portland cement' and 'white portland cement'.
Fascinating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Bruce wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

You can get commercial grout cleaners. I expect these are just
weak solutions of HCL. Patio cleaner would also do the trick
used sparingly.
I imagine most wall grouts are acrylic, which probably wouldn't
respond to acid
Can't say I have ever seen an acrylic grout.

Was going through boxes of stuff in the garage today, and opened one
to see what was it it. Loads of cans, bottles, etc, and sat there on
top was a tub of "Waterproof acrylic grout"...

So there, now I have seen an Acrylic one. ;-)

I wasn't dreaming then :-) Or dreaming that I'd used it on several
occasions.

Was not doubting its existence, just did not think it was a common as
the powdered cement based type.

It all comes down to your interpretation of "white" I suppose. AFAIK the
titanium white we're used to seeing isn't possible with cement, but
maybe white tiles aren't bright white either.

The last one I used was a Nicobond powdered grout - cement based and
very "white". I don't think cement poses any limitation on colour (or
lack of)

Interesting that the BAL Microflex is cement based but is also flexible
i.e. it contains "built-in admixture to provide flexibility". Can cement
really be made flexible? Try telling that to the conservationists!

You can make springs (and lots of other non intuitive things) out of
concrete if you want! You can get flexible boat hulls made from concrete
as well.

--
Cheers,

John.