Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Tony George

Default Cleaning Stains from Tile Grout

Hi,

We installed ceramic tiles on our kitchen floor a few months ago.
Unfortunately, the person who did the installation neglected to tell us to
apply some grout sealer after a few weeks to ensure that the grout can be
easily cleaned. Now, we notice that we've got dark stains in various places
(after all it is a kitchen!) in the grout.

The grout is sandy in texture and light beige in colour. I've tried to
clean it with a diluted bleach solution and a toothbrush. It seems to do
something, but there's not too much improvement. Someone suggested that I
just take a piece of steel wool and actually scrub away some of the stained
grout.

I was just wondering if anyone has other solutions. Sorry if this has been
posted and answered before...

Thanks...

Tony

Charles Spitzer

"Tony George" wrote in message
[...]

use full strength bleach. let it sit on there for a while. scrub at it a
bit. it will get rid of the organics.

don't use steel wool.

Jennifer

"Tony George" wrote in message . ..

We installed ceramic tiles snip we've got dark stains in various places
(after all it is a kitchen!) in the grout.

The grout is sandy in texture and light beige in colour snip

If you haven't sealed yet, you can use a combination grout colorant
and sealant that will solve both problems at once. Aquamix makes one
that comes in a pretty good variety of colors.

http://www.aquamix.com/gckit.htm

--
Jennifer

If it's not dirt or mold, just stains, then I recommend covering the
grount using a colored grout sealant like the one from AquaMix.
http://www.aquamix.com/gckit.htm

If you call their 800 number, they'll send you a color sample chart,
and then you can order their products from an online retailer. You have
to be very careful when you seal the grout, because it's colored; I
used a craft brush and did a little at a time until it was finished.
Mine's been on my tile floors for a year and shows no sign of wear.
HTH

--
Jennifer

Heh, I googled one of my old responses to find the link and then posted
to the wrong thread... sorry