Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adjustable legs/feet

Hi,

I am about to embark on the construction of a built in bed, and want a
support leg half way along one side.

I was going to joint in a piece of wood, but was a bit doubtful about
getting millimetre precision with my dodgy woodwork.

Now kitchen units have adjustable feet, but they are ugly and designed to
be hidden by the plinth - also an individual leg is not very strong,
especially laterally.

A quick Google shows nice chrome breakfast bar legs which are far too
tall, and the usual stumpy plastic legs for kitchen units.

Anyone know of a source of a suitable strong stumpy but undeniably pretty
leg?

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone know of a source of a suitable strong stumpy but undeniably pretty
leg?

Cheers

Dave R

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20049538
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90128971
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40074193

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Oct 2008 09:22:45 GMT, David Roberts wrote:

Anyone know of a source of a suitable strong stumpy but undeniably pretty
leg?

Yes I've got two

Sorry I couldnt resist that one I must be a builder

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:22:45 +0000, David Roberts wrote:

Hi,

I am about to embark on the construction of a built in bed, and want a
support leg half way along one side.

I was going to joint in a piece of wood, but was a bit doubtful about
getting millimetre precision with my dodgy woodwork.

Now kitchen units have adjustable feet, but they are ugly and designed to
be hidden by the plinth - also an individual leg is not very strong,
especially laterally.

A quick Google shows nice chrome breakfast bar legs which are far too
tall, and the usual stumpy plastic legs for kitchen units.

Anyone know of a source of a suitable strong stumpy but undeniably pretty
leg?

Cheers

Dave R

You might find something suitable he

http://www.bpfittings.co.uk/

Service is good but a bit complicated.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am about to embark on the construction of a built in bed, and want a
support leg half way along one side.

I was going to joint in a piece of wood, but was a bit doubtful about
getting millimetre precision with my dodgy woodwork.

This is the joiners method for leveling up:

Build the whole bed, with legs all the same length.

Assemble the bed in the location you want it permanently.

Put wedges under each leg as necessary to bring the bed level and all
legs into firm contact with the floor.

Find an offcut of wood that is slightly thicker than the leg raised
highest from the floor.

Slide this offcut around each leg, and use a pencil on the top face to
mark how much has to come off each leg.

Now when you saw the legs to length, it takes account of the floor
irregularities at the intended location.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 04:43:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I am about to embark on the construction of a built in bed, and want a
support leg half way along one side.

I was going to joint in a piece of wood, but was a bit doubtful about
getting millimetre precision with my dodgy woodwork.

This is the joiners method for leveling up:

Build the whole bed, with legs all the same length.

Assemble the bed in the location you want it permanently.

Put wedges under each leg as necessary to bring the bed level and all
legs into firm contact with the floor.

Find an offcut of wood that is slightly thicker than the leg raised
highest from the floor.

Slide this offcut around each leg, and use a pencil on the top face to
mark how much has to come off each leg.

Now when you saw the legs to length, it takes account of the floor
irregularities at the intended location.

What happens when you want to move the bed to elsewhere in the room?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What happens when you want to move the bed to elsewhere in the room?

The OP described it as a "built in bed".

If it had to be moved to a new location, I would either re-cut it, or
add sub-feet - like a small black-painted pad, slightly smaller than
the cross-section of the leg.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 02:58:54 -0700, wrote:

Anyone know of a source of a suitable strong stumpy but undeniably
pretty leg?

Cheers

Dave R

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20049538
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90128971
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40074193

Actually got http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10075660

We went to Ikea to get the bed base and mattress and found the legs there
as well.

Plan for the bed:

Foot of the bed is supported by a piece of wood screwed to the wall
Far side of the bed is supported by a piece of wood screwed to the wall
[This bed fits into a corner of the room]
Head of the bed goes across the sloping bit over the stairs
Nearside of the bed is the piece of wood which needs the leg in the
middle - one end meets the wall at the foot of the bed, the other end
meets the sloping wood over the stairs at the head of the bed.

Thinking about it, I should do the free-standing bit first and level the
wall mounted bits to this, but I have to get the length right so that the
top of the bed frame just fits up to the slope at the head of the bed, so
I need to have some scope for adjustment of the supporting leg(s).

The bed base is http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40109913 - I
sat on several beds there and this was by far the best setup in
combination with http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10073369.

Thanks for all the suggestions (and I also now know who has stumpy but
undeniably pretty legs). :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Roberts wrote:
Hi,

I am about to embark on the construction of a built in bed, and want a
support leg half way along one side.

I was going to joint in a piece of wood, but was a bit doubtful about
getting millimetre precision with my dodgy woodwork.

Now kitchen units have adjustable feet, but they are ugly and
designed to be hidden by the plinth - also an individual leg is not
very strong, especially laterally.

A quick Google shows nice chrome breakfast bar legs which are far too
tall, and the usual stumpy plastic legs for kitchen units.

Anyone know of a source of a suitable strong stumpy but undeniably
pretty leg?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-J...Feet-21186.htm

Howzat!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
On 31 Oct 2008 09:22:45 GMT, David Roberts wrote:

Anyone know of a source of a suitable strong stumpy but undeniably
pretty leg?

Yes I've got two

Go on, post a picture :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It gets shorter each time you move it

Being serious, I wonder why the OP wants an additional leg, as any
sensible bed frame should have no problem supporting even an obese
person. What size timber is OP using for the bed frame?

NT

Ideas for adjustable legs for artists easel D. G. Adams Woodworking 7 November 1st 06 02:40 AM
Adjustable feet Grumps UK diy 2 September 5th 06 09:04 PM
Stainless/Alloy/Chrome Adjustable legs Steve Firth UK diy 3 August 7th 06 07:36 PM
Where to buy folding adjustable table legs for my outfeed table Dick Snyder Woodworking 10 December 16th 04 09:25 AM
Where to Find/Make Adjustable Table Legs? Jay Chan Woodworking 9 August 30th 04 02:42 AM