Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Velux windows

Is it necessary to apply for planning permission to fit a Velux window in
the roof?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sometimes yes, Sometimes no.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The full answer is it depends on the full facts - if you're not giving
them, then we can't answer.

Even then, there are no definitive rules that state whether or not a
planning application will be required - only guidelines. There's
certainly no blanket permitted development rights concerning Velux
windows.

The statement about Cambridge is incorrect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The full answer is it depends on the full facts - if you're not giving
them, then we can't answer.

I asked for help and I appreciate and am certainly thankful to anyone who
takes the time and effort to reply. However, I cannot give you the full
facts, and even if I could, it wouldn't help you because nothing I have been
told and/or could pass on to you, is to do with building/roofing as such.

All I can say, and indeed all I have been told, is that "Person A" is trying
to wriggle out of something and when asked why, his justification was that
planning permission is not required in order to fit Velux windows in a roof.
He also stated that the only place where planning permission *is* required
to put Velux windows in a roof was Cambridge (or, more correctly, said that
Cambridge Council were the only people who required planning permission be
sought).

As I don't know whether this is correct or not, I thought that there must be
people here in this DIY newsgroup who had fitted (or had them fitted) Velux
windows in the past and could confirm or deny that planning permission must
be granted to install Velux windows in a roof.

I'm not asking the question with a view to fitting Velux windows myself or
with respect to any particular area of the country. All I need to know, in a
Land's End-to-John O'Groats, general sort of way, is, has anyone ever needed
to get planning permission to fit Velux windows in a roof?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I read my local (West Norfolk) council's advice on velux windows -
this said "planning permission is often not required" for them, but
recommended that the public should make an informal enquiry to be
certain.

I did this, and they then suggested that as my "informal enquiry" was
sufficiently detailed - it could be used to apply for a variation in
my existing planning application. This they did for me - and I got a
letter back granting permission.

So as I said earlier - it depends.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I don't live anywhere near Cambridge, probably hundreds of miles away but do
live
in a conservation area. I didn't need planning permission, neither did
neighbours.
The windows are in the front and rear, south (front) facing and north
(rear).
A building company fitted mine but not as part of a loft extension or room,
which would
require planning permission.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Can I just ask how you knew you didn't need planning permission?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought that there must be people here who ... could confirm or deny
that planning permission must be granted to install Velux windows in
a roof.

I don't live anywhere near Cambridge, probably hundreds of miles away
but do live in a conservation area. I didn't need planning permission,
neither did neighbours.
The windows are in the front and rear, south (front) facing and north
(rear). A building company fitted mine but not as part of a loft
extension or room, which would require planning permission.

You do need permission here (conservation area in Midlothian). No
problem at the rear of the houses, you won't get permission for the
front.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I thought that there must be people here who ... could confirm or
deny
that planning permission must be granted to install Velux windows
in a roof.

I don't live anywhere near Cambridge, probably hundreds of miles away
but do live in a conservation area. I didn't need planning
permission, neither did neighbours.
The windows are in the front and rear, south (front) facing and north
(rear). A building company fitted mine but not as part of a loft
extension or room, which would require planning permission.

You do need permission here (conservation area in Midlothian). No
problem at the rear of the houses, you won't get permission for the
front.

Thanks very much Jack,

John

Discounts on Velux windows? [email protected] UK diy 1 May 1st 08 03:42 PM
Velux Windows Bitstreams UK diy 8 November 15th 07 10:18 AM
Velux windows [email protected] UK diy 7 June 8th 07 12:33 PM
Velux windows - DIY installation Bob Mannix UK diy 12 July 19th 06 11:10 AM