Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Locate boiler under the stairs, allowed?

can someone advise me pease? Can anyone think of a reason whey I
should not have a combi boiler installed in the space under the
stairs? It would be fixed to an outside (brick) walll and would vent
directly through the wall. the house is Victorian and the underside
of the stairs is not fireproofed in any way. the space under the
stairsis an enclosed space and is accessed by a full sized door.

many thanks,

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
RobertL wrote:
can someone advise me pease? Can anyone think of a reason whey I
should not have a combi boiler installed in the space under the
stairs? It would be fixed to an outside (brick) walll and would vent
directly through the wall. the house is Victorian and the underside
of the stairs is not fireproofed in any way. the space under the
stairsis an enclosed space and is accessed by a full sized door.

No reason other than it might make servicing difficult - ie a service
person may not want to have to crawl into a restricted space to get at it.

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 22, 1:30*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *RobertL wrote:

can someone advise me pease? * Can anyone think of *a reason whey I
should not have a combi boiler installed in the space under the
stairs? *It would be fixed to an outside (brick) walll and would vent
directly through the wall. *the house is Victorian and the underside
of the stairs is not fireproofed in any way. the space under the
stairsis *an enclosed space and is accessed by a full sized door.

No reason other than it might make servicing difficult - ie a service
person may not want to have to crawl into a restricted space to get at it..

Thanks for that info.

Access will be good. Ervice person would be able to stand up and
face it without it being 'in his face'.

*I'm not as think as you drunk I am."

My father used to sing that song and he was brin in 1916.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Oct 22, 1:30 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
RobertL wrote:

can someone advise me pease? Can anyone think of a reason whey I
should not have a combi boiler installed in the space under the
stairs? It would be fixed to an outside (brick) walll and would vent
directly through the wall. the house is Victorian and the underside
of the stairs is not fireproofed in any way. the space under the
stairsis an enclosed space and is accessed by a full sized door.

No reason other than it might make servicing difficult - ie a service
person may not want to have to crawl into a restricted space to get at it.

Thanks for that info.

Access will be good. Ervice person would be able to stand up and
face it without it being 'in his face'.

*I'm not as think as you drunk I am."

My father used to sing that song and he was brin in 1916.

Robert

I came across that phrase as a child, on a novelty drinks-mat
from a set my parents had.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
can someone advise me pease? Can anyone think of a reason whey I
should not have a combi boiler installed in the space under the
stairs? It would be fixed to an outside (brick) walll and would vent
directly through the wall. the house is Victorian and the underside
of the stairs is not fireproofed in any way. the space under the
stairsis an enclosed space and is accessed by a full sized door.

Don't know the details or regs, but I've seen plenty installed under the
stairs, so I guess that subject to it being done by a CORGI it must be
acceptable.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
can someone advise me pease? Can anyone think of a reason whey I
should not have a combi boiler installed in the space under the
stairs? It would be fixed to an outside (brick) walll and would vent
directly through the wall. the house is Victorian and the underside
of the stairs is not fireproofed in any way. the space under the
stairsis an enclosed space and is accessed by a full sized door.

many thanks,

Robert

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on it. Yu
don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Ray:
The space needs to be well vented preferably with 2 x 9"x6" air bricks for
adequate airflow otherwise you may have your installation condemned by the
gas board.

The boiler will have a balanced flue so it won't draw air from the
space.

Dr. Drivel
Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on it.
Yu don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.- Hide quoted text -

i probably would do so, that but is it building regs requirement?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ray wrote:
The space needs to be well vented preferably with 2 x 9"x6" air bricks
for adequate airflow otherwise you may have your installation condemned
by the gas board.

I'd read the boiler installation instructions first. Mine needs no
ventilation whatsoever.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
RobertL wrote:
Thanks for your comments everyone.

Ray:
The space needs to be well vented preferably with 2 x 9"x6" air bricks
for adequate airflow otherwise you may have your installation
condemned by the gas board.

The boiler will have a balanced flue so it won't draw air from the space.

Dr. Drivel
Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on
it. Yu don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.- Hide
quoted text -

i probably would do so, that but is it building regs requirement?

You'd need to read the boiler installation instructions - but I'd say no.
Even my ancient floorstander didn't need fireproof board.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Ray wrote:
The space needs to be well vented preferably with 2 x 9"x6" air bricks
for adequate airflow otherwise you may have your installation condemned
by the gas board.

I'd read the boiler installation instructions first. Mine needs no
ventilation whatsoever.

Many modern boilers draw external air supply through the casing.
This serves to keep the boiler case cool, and also the heat which
does leak out from components inside the boiler is effectively drawn
back into the combustion chamber in the form of preheated air, so
it's not lost from the boiler casing (at least, nowhere near to
the same extent older boilers used to).

When I was doing my heating calculations to size radiators, I was a
bit miffed the boiler manufacturer didn't state the approx heat
output from the boiler casing (which you can subtract from the size
of radiator you need in the same room). Having installed the boiler
(a Keston C25), there's only a small area on the front which actually
gets warm (right in front of the heat exchanger), so I guess the heat
output from the casing is probably less than 50W. Older boilers are
up in the hundreds of watts.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 22, 1:47*pm, RobertL wrote:

*I'm not as think as you drunk I am."

My father used to sing that song and he was brin in 1916.

Robert

Who is he now?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 23, 10:57*pm, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on it. *Yu
don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:57:09 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"RobertL" wrote in message
can someone advise me pease? Can anyone think of a reason whey I
should not have a combi boiler installed in the space under the
stairs? It would be fixed to an outside (brick) walll and would vent
directly through the wall. the house is Victorian and the underside
of the stairs is not fireproofed in any way. the space under the
stairsis an enclosed space and is accessed by a full sized door.

many thanks,

Robert

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on it. Yu
don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

A friend has had her boiler replaced and it's been placed under the
stairs as there's no room in the kitchen now. But the flue thing
sticks out of the wall at head height. Looks odd stuck there but seems
a better idea than putting it in the small bedroom like some others
have done.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[...]

Indeed. My old one kept the bathroom nice and hot. The new one gets barely
warm to the touch.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on it.
You don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

Yes!

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on
it. You don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

Yes!

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

They have not moved our meter; I can still find it under our stairs. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board
on it. You don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

Yes!

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

We had a new meter fitted this very morning - under the stairs - to replace
the old one that was - under the stairs.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on
it. You don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

Yes!

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

They have not moved our meter; I can still find it under our stairs. :-)

You will not find one in new house or when a new mains pipe is run in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board
on it. You don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

Yes!

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

We had a new meter fitted this very morning - under the stairs - to
replace the old one that was - under the stairs.

It is not a new installation with new mains pipe. It is just changing a
part.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Owain wrote:
Rod wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

They have not moved our meter; I can still find it under our stairs. :-)

Probably cheaper to move the stairs, if you're concerned about it.

Owain

No - not at all concerned.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on
it. You don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

Yes!

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

... goes to check

"Yup, still there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

Do you want a bet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board on
it. You don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

Yes!

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

... goes to check

"Yup, still there

Maxie, are you sure that is not a cardboard cut-out under the stairs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in
:

"Rod" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

om...
wrote:

Just make sure the underside of the stairs has a fireproof board
on it. You don't want a flame thrower burning an escape route.

LOL! What about the millions of wall-hung boilers up and down the
country. Do they require fire proof ceilings to be installed?

Yes!

You will find that gas meters are no longer under stairs.

They have not moved our meter; I can still find it under our stairs.
:-)

You will not find one in new house or when a new mains pipe is run in.

Ballox!!! We've just installed our control panels under the strairs of a
new build developement, and I bet you can't guess what else is next to
them. We asked if there were any distance requirements between our units
and the meters, and were told that "Unless you expect big bolts of
lightning to fly out your control panels, then no, there would be no
spacing regulation. Just don't block the window on the front, so our
little meter reader can see what the numbers are."

There is also a new business park being built near to where we where, and
they are three storey, individual office accomedation. Guess what's under
the stairs. Right beside the new electric meters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"RobertL" wrote in message
[...]

--http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

thank you all for your help with this. It looks as if this is the
perfect place.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
0.200...
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in
:

"Rod" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

om...
wrote:

[...]

It's amazing what they do in wurzleland.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
0.200...
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in
:

"Rod" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

om...
wrote:

[...]

Yep ! And it's getting worse.

Still, where the rest of us live is fine. You should visit sometime. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
m...

Yep ! And it's getting worse.

Still, where the rest of us live is fine. You should visit sometime. :-)

I went to Wurzleland. I was shocked and astounded at the poverty, ignorance
and deprivation. Appalling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
m...

Yep ! And it's getting worse.

Still, where the rest of us live is fine. You should visit sometime.

:-)

I went to Wurzleland. I was shocked and astounded at the poverty,

ignorance
and deprivation. Appalling.

Is it anywhere near Somalia? Once a rich region of Africa, with world sales
of minerals and Ores. Now the corrupt have stolen it all from them, and
left those people in poverty and deprivation. Really appalling.

I wouldn't recommend visiting there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

om...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
m...

Yep ! And it's getting worse.

Still, where the rest of us live is fine. You should visit sometime.

:-)

I went to Wurzleland. I was shocked
and astounded at the poverty,
ignorance and deprivation. Appalling.

Is it anywhere near Somalia?

No Wurzleand.

How and where to locate LCD inverters [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 April 16th 07 05:19 PM
cant locate odor Rob Home Repair 8 June 17th 06 07:17 AM
Stairs Into Kitchen - 2 sets of stairs ? Andy UK diy 2 January 21st 06 11:00 PM
Carpeting stairs and filling in wood stairs Dantanna Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 11:35 PM