Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Types of Kingspan

I'm insulating between and over rafters that are 6 inches deep (after
battening) A 2 inch air gap and 4 inches of Kingspan between, and an
inch of Kingspan over, on the inside. Followed by plasterboard and
skim as these are rooms in the roof of a dormer bungalow.

The one inch Kingspan going over the top is foil-backed. Can anyone
foresee any problems in using non-foil-backed Kingspan phenolic board
between the rafters, rather than foil-backed board?

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only thing I'd mention is - try putting a lighted match to a
little scrap of kingspan - I'd be very careful to ensure it's fully
enclosed in plasterboard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:

The only thing I'd mention is - try putting a lighted match to a
little scrap of kingspan - I'd be very careful to ensure it's fully
enclosed in plasterboard.

Different products have differing flammabilities.
Some are extremely flammable, it has to be said.
Others have a fire retardant, so it struggles to
stay alight when you remove the ignition source.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 22, 10:05*am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:

The stuff I used - Celotex polyisocyanurate - was fireproof. We played a
blowlamp on it to try and get it to light. It eventually charred, and
went crumbly, but it never caught fire.

Foil backing is for vapor barrier purposes: if you have a seperate
vapour barrier like foiled plasterboard its redundant.

Yes, I'm putting 25mm foil-backed Kingspan over, to provide a vapour
barrier and a reflective surface, with plasterboard and skim over
that, so the stuff without foil is all shielded from the inside of the
building. What I'm using was largely dictated by what Seconds and Co
had available at the time I needed to order ;-)

I'll try setting fire to some of it tonight - not in situ, obviously.

Does anyone think there might be an issue with wet from the outside,
if rain got past a dodgy tile?

Regards
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got a load of kingspan from seconds in kingsland..

I tested a bit and it didnt burn,
but if ive read correctly here,
some kinds of kingspan do burn, and some dont,
so I must test it all..
is this so?

--

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I got a load of kingspan from seconds in kingsland..

who/where are they please? (I've searched for them but seem to be
having a senior megamoment as all I can find are Seconds & Co in Powys.)
--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The stuff I used - Celotex polyisocyanurate - was fireproof. We played a
blowlamp on it to try and get it to light. It eventually charred, and
went crumbly, but it never caught fire.

Foil backing is for vapor barrier purposes: if you have a seperate
vapour barrier like foiled plasterboard its redundant.

Yes, I'm putting 25mm foil-backed Kingspan over, to provide a vapour
barrier and a reflective surface, with plasterboard and skim over
that, so the stuff without foil is all shielded from the inside of the
building. What I'm using was largely dictated by what Seconds and Co
had available at the time I needed to order ;-)

I'll try setting fire to some of it tonight - not in situ, obviously.

Does anyone think there might be an issue with wet from the outside,
if rain got past a dodgy tile?

No. Te bits we 'burnt' had been in the building site getting wet for months.

They simply didn't get wet.

The few bits that had been under cover burnt just as poorly.

Regards
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

yes thats them,
kingsland is a few miles away,
maybe over the border in herefordshire,
but you dont need a passport

Thanks.

T'was dim of me not to have spotted they were adjacent; and even dimmer
to have thought that there might just possibly be something so useful
near me in Hackney.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 22, 10:37*pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Does anyone think there might be an issue with wet from the outside,
if rain got past a dodgy tile?

No. Te bits we 'burnt' had been in the building site getting wet for months.

They simply didn't get wet.

The stuff I had stacked up outside under tarps got wet at the sides.
This spread over the surface and had to be dried out in the sun.
Thinking about it, it was probably mainly the fibrous paper that it
was clad in (being non-foil-backed) that soaked up most of the water.
I wouldn't swear that the board was completely dry though. The label
on the packaging certainly has a "keep away from water" type label on
it.

This might depend on the type of board - mine is phenolic.

Regards
Richard