Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Home disco lighting (!)

My kids have started to love having something of a disco session in
our back room, which is really fun and energetic for them now the
evenings are shorter. We've got a cheap (£4.99) plug in disco light
which is OK, but I'd like to do something more for them (perhaps for
Christmas).

In that room there are two redundant (in that we don't use them, but
they do work) wall mounted lights. Does anyone know of a product that
I could replace these lights with that might give something of a disco
effect?

Most "proper" disco lights that I've seen are mains driven. Is there
any reason why something like this couldn't be fitted to the lighting
circuit?

If I'm barking up a completely nuts tree, let me know.

Thanks!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My kids have started to love having something of a disco session in
our back room, which is really fun and energetic for them now the
evenings are shorter. We've got a cheap (�4.99) plug in disco light
which is OK, but I'd like to do something more for them (perhaps for
Christmas).

In that room there are two redundant (in that we don't use them, but
they do work) wall mounted lights. Does anyone know of a product that
I could replace these lights with that might give something of a disco
effect?

Most "proper" disco lights that I've seen are mains driven. Is there
any reason why something like this couldn't be fitted to the lighting
circuit?

If I'm barking up a completely nuts tree, let me know.

Thanks!

Matt

I can't see why something like the "4-Light DJ Sequencer" from Maplin
couldn't be bolted to the wall in place of a wall light (proper switch
mind - not a dimmer). The main power draw is 4 * 60W lamps = 240W
which is quite a lot but not huge although you could fit lower wattage
bulbs if desired. At only £30 it seems like quite good fun - if
you're a kid or a grown-up acting like one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 13:16, Calvin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's the sort of thing. Are there no problems with the lack of
an earth on the lighting circuits?

Would the same apply to something more like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43718
?

Thanks

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 1:27*pm, wrote:
On 20 Oct, 13:16, Calvin wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Lighting circuits normally have earth. Be aware of pwoer limits
though, 5A or 6A max for the whole circuit.

I wouldnt bother with a sequencer myself. Sound to light gives a lot
more bang per buck.

If youve got a big screen, there are some pretty funky visualisations
out there.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 20 Oct, 13:16, Calvin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That depends. Firstly on whether you have an earth or not (some
installations do, some don't depending on age). Secondly on whether
the luminaires require one or not. It's impossible to tell from the
Maplin online descriptions, you'd need to go into a store, get one out
of the box and examine it.

The unit you mention doesn't even say if it's mains powered or not so
you'd really need to eyeball it. Anyway I only chose Maplin as an
example, in practice I'm sure you can find a mains powered, non-earth
requiring if you need it, disco light to bolt on the wall. Remember
that you probably only have 5A (1.150kW) available on the lighting
circuit including all of your other luminaires so you might not want
to get too carried away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 15:07, Stephen Howard wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 04:11:15 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

My kids have started to love having something of a disco session in
our back room, which is really fun and energetic for them now the
evenings are shorter. *We've got a cheap (£4.99) plug in disco light
which is OK, but I'd like to do something more for them (perhaps for
Christmas).

In that room there are two redundant (in that we don't use them, but
they do work) wall mounted lights. *Does anyone know of a product that
I could replace these lights with that might give something of a disco
effect?

Most "proper" disco lights that I've seen are mains driven. *Is there
any reason why something like this couldn't be fitted to the lighting
circuit?

If I'm barking up a completely nuts tree, let me know.

Thanks!

Matt

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me - but you're gonna need a jacket
with "M.C Master Matt" emblazoned on it, and you gotta learn how to be
"down wi da hoodies".

http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resour...s/menu_001.htm

Regards ( in da house, innit ),

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net

I was thinking more of politically correct youth club run by local
worth social worker dressed in "trendy" clothes (cardigan and
slacks?!?) serving non-alcoholic punch....

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:

http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resour...s/menu_001.htm

I was thinking more of politically correct youth club run by local
worth social worker dressed in "trendy" clothes (cardigan and
slacks?!?) serving non-alcoholic punch....

So a tweed jacket with "Major Domo' written on it - and lots of
'getting down with the hatties'.

Regards ( in one's mansion, isn't it ),

PS. I think, by law, you must serve Vimto or Dandelion & Burdock.

Does Dandelion & Burdock still exist? It was my favourite as a
youngster, which was a looong time ago!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback coughed up some electrons that declared:

Does Dandelion & Burdock still exist? It was my favourite as a
youngster, which was a looong time ago!

Yes, it does

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

Does Dandelion & Burdock still exist? It was my favourite as a
youngster, which was a looong time ago!

It still exists, it used to be my favourite too. I tried some not long
ago and it was disgustingly sweet. Either my taste buds have changed or
they've messed up the recipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Broadback coughed up some electrons that declared:

Does Dandelion & Burdock still exist? It was my favourite as a
youngster, which was a looong time ago!

Yes, it does

Morrisons certainly sell it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 12:11, wrote:
My kids have started to love having something of a disco session in
our back room, which is really fun and energetic for them now the
evenings are shorter. *We've got a cheap (£4.99) plug in disco light
which is OK, but I'd like to do something more for them (perhaps for
Christmas).

In that room there are two redundant (in that we don't use them, but
they do work) wall mounted lights. *Does anyone know of a product that
I could replace these lights with that might give something of a disco
effect?

Most "proper" disco lights that I've seen are mains driven. *Is there
any reason why something like this couldn't be fitted to the lighting
circuit?

If I'm barking up a completely nuts tree, let me know.

Thanks!

Matt

LED Par can or 2, dont worry about the dmx control bit , they have on
board sound activated and colour fade programs, low power, low heat
and no fragile lamps, also available in polished alloy.

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?...emode=category

PAR 56 can is just over 7" diameter btw

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 5:50*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Does Dandelion & Burdock still exist? It was my favourite as a
youngster, which was a looong time ago!

It still exists, it used to be my favourite too. I tried some not long
ago and it was disgustingly sweet. Either my taste buds have changed or
they've messed up the recipe.

Have you tried the diet ones? They seem ok.

NT