Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi Boiler Ravenheat CSI 85A

Hi,

I'm passing this request along for a friend, so please forgive any
ignorance or mistakes on my part. The problem is with a Ravenheat CSI
85A combi boiler... it won't light (duh!).

The unit was self-installed, and has worked without problems for the
last few years. A week or so ago, the unit would no longer light
reliably. Turning on the hot water tap became a pot luck affair. If
you left it running for 20-30m, you might get hot water eventually. A
visual inspection of the boiler during this time showed the boiler
lighting for a few seconds, but then turning off again. It would, on
occasion, decide to light properly and deliver hot water untill the
tap was turned off again.

Since then the problem has gotten worse. Now the fan works, but the
pilot light will not light and the pump will not run. The fan only
works intermittently though.. it will come on for a few minutes and
then turn off for a few minutes.

The ignition board has been replaced, but it made no difference.

Does anyone have any advice on what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm passing this request along for a friend, so please forgive any
ignorance or mistakes on my part. The problem is with a Ravenheat CSI
85A combi boiler... it won't light (duh!).

Since then the problem has gotten worse. Now the fan works, but the
pilot light will not light and the pump will not run.

So the pilot light will not light?
It is the pilot light that lights the main gas burner, so it sounds like
a pilot fault.
Screwfix, and most decent plumbers merchants (I've seen them in B+Q too)
sell a universal pilot light thermocouple kit for around £5.
When my pilot wouldnt stay alight, I changed the thermocouple, and all
was fine again.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 9:58*pm, wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem with my son's Ravenheat boiler.

Ravenheat have a good website with manuals for their boilers and fault
finding charts.

When the fan starts a sensor detects that there is a pressure
difference between the flue and the boiler.

Two possible faults here 1. The sensor is not working or its tubes are
blocked or leaking: or 2. The boiler casing is not properly sealed (in
my son's case the casing seal round the flue had come loose)

If the pressure sensor is working then you should hear the igniter
clicking. If it clicks but the pilot does not light, then there is a
problem with the gas circuit and I suggest you get in a professional.

If there is no clicking then change the igniter spark plug and check
the lead to the plug.

Hope this helps a bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , A.Lee
writes
wrote:

I'm passing this request along for a friend, so please forgive any
ignorance or mistakes on my part. The problem is with a Ravenheat CSI
85A combi boiler... it won't light (duh!).

Since then the problem has gotten worse. Now the fan works, but the
pilot light will not light and the pump will not run.

So the pilot light will not light?
It is the pilot light that lights the main gas burner, so it sounds like
a pilot fault.
Screwfix, and most decent plumbers merchants (I've seen them in B+Q too)
sell a universal pilot light thermocouple kit for around £5.
When my pilot wouldnt stay alight, I changed the thermocouple, and all
was fine again.

The CSI 85A is a condensing boiler with electronic ignition

The reply above (for a pp boiler) is completely wrong

The problem could lie anywhere from not sensing the fan through a faulty
pcb to a valve solenoid

The description is so vague that it isn't really possible to make more
of a diagnosis - get a man in

--
geoff

Ravenheat combi boiler starting problems John Laird UK diy 3 December 19th 06 10:49 PM
Ravenheat combi boiler fails to stay lit MGreen UK diy 2 January 23rd 06 08:43 PM
Ravenheat Combi Boiler Simes UK diy 22 April 2nd 04 12:03 AM
Ravenheat Combi Boilers Roger Uribe UK diy 6 January 6th 04 02:27 AM
Ravenheat combi - thoughts? Alex Veitch UK diy 14 November 24th 03 11:34 PM