Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default neighbours hideous satellite dish spoiling the view from our kitchenwindow

We live in an Edwardian 3 bed semi-detached house in West London. The
house we're attached to is owned by a landlord and new tenants moved
in over the weekend.
The first thing they did was fit a satellite dish at the rear of the
house in a very obtrusive position.
They are Polish so I presume it is to pick up Polish TV.

All the houses are the same design, 2 storey with a single storey
section at the back which contains the kitchen. The kitchens have a
chimney stack about 2 feet high to which they have attached a pole
about 5 feet high with a fairly standard looking size satellite dish.
They've then run serveral heavy duty cables along the roof and in
through the kitchen window frame where they've drilled a hole. The
satellite dish, pole and cables stand out even more starkly because
they are all white and the tiles are black.

Bearing in mind that I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with
these people what is the law in this area (which in fairness they may
be totally unaware of) ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Admittedly, it's not a good thing to have done and they could have shown
more consideration for both their neighbours and their surroundings, but
FFS, it's a satellite dish not a 14-foot wall. And according to your subject
heading you can only see it from your kitchen window, not your living room.
Live with it. If that's all you have to worry about in this present
financial climate I'll gladly swap houses with you and I'll look at the
satellite dish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Our neighbours have recently applied for permission to erect a 3.7m rear
extension varying in height from 4m to 3m just 1m from our side
boundary. It will block out the late afternoon sun from out dining room
and kitchen and wreck our view in a semi-rural location. Because the
land drops away a proposed window will look over the 6ft fence straight
on to our whole garden. It will also have views into our currently
unoverlooked kitchen and dining room.
Planning office can see no problem with this but when pressed suggested
they might apply a condition that the window in question is glazed with
opaque glass.
The neighbours have previously caused damage to our property for which
they are unrepentant.
We have put in an objection and will see what happens.
I can see a mature laurel hedge suddenly appearing along that boundary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
John wrote:

Our neighbours have recently applied for permission to erect a 3.7m
rear extension varying in height from 4m to 3m just 1m from our side
boundary.It will block out the late afternoon sun from out dining
room and kitchen and wreck our view in a semi-rural location.

Was this an application before 1st October? Afterwards this may be
regarded as permitted development, and I don't know how neighbour
objections then work. Anyone know?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315206517.html

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
John wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Pyracantha is so much nastier..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We live in an Edwardian 3 bed semi-detached house in West London. The
house we're attached to is owned by a landlord and new tenants moved
in over the weekend.
The first thing they did was fit a satellite dish at the rear of the
house in a very obtrusive position.
They are Polish so I presume it is to pick up Polish TV.

What view in a built up area can be so good you're whinging about a SD being
in its way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Oct, 14:26, "George" wrote:
wrote in message

We live in an Edwardian 3 bed semi-detached house in West London. The
house we're attached to is owned by a landlord and new tenants moved
in over the weekend.
The first thing they did was fit a satellite dish at the rear of the
house in a very obtrusive position.
They are Polish so I presume it is to pick up Polish TV.

What view in a built up area can be so good you're whinging about a SD being
in its way?

The view of the sky and some trees, even the chimney stack itself in
old yellow stock bricks was easy on the eye.

I'm not against satellite dishes per se, I'm sure if I could afford it
I'd probably have a sky dish myself.
If the dish was tucked away neatly on the roof of the main building I
wouldn't even notice it. Even if it was kept at the same level as the
chimney stack and perhaps painted a neutral colour it would be more
tolerable.
The link http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/
1115315206517.html does seem to imply it should be at the same level
as the chimney stack so it probably is illegal in that respect.
In answer to somebody elses question, it's only been fitted yesterday,
Oct 13, and I'm sure planning permission hasn't been sought as the
tenants only moved in the day before. I doubt the landlord has even
been told.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Oct, 16:01, wrote:
On 14 Oct, 14:26, "George" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Yeh, not sure why they would put it up on a pole. Not the usual way of
fixing a sat dish in this country. Maybe that's how they got their
name ...
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:
John wrote:

Our neighbours have recently applied for permission to erect a 3.7m
rear extension varying in height from 4m to 3m just 1m from our side
boundary.It will block out the late afternoon sun from out dining
room and kitchen and wreck our view in a semi-rural location.

Was this an application before 1st October? Afterwards this may be
regarded as permitted development, and I don't know how neighbour
objections then work. Anyone know?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315206517.html

It is only 1m from the boundary with an eaves height of up to 4m so they
would still need permission.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:
John wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Nice idea but I would have to cut our side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 14 Oct, 16:01, wrote:
On 14 Oct, 14:26, "George" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

It's possible to buy nearly transparent dishes from places like
satellitesuperstore.co.uk. When mounted against a wall they are much
less obtrusive. Might be worth having a word with the neighbours about
it. Why not share the cost and get a twin or quad LNB fitted so you can
use it as well? That is if they are aimed at a satellite you want to
watch! Even where I live, in a conservation area, satellites up to 1
metre are OK but you are supposed to put them below the eaves line where
possible.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
John wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thst what hedge trimmers are for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

wrote in message
We live in an Edwardian 3 bed semi-detached house in West London. The
house we're attached to is owned by a landlord and new tenants moved
in over the weekend.
The first thing they did was fit a satellite dish at the rear of the
house in a very obtrusive position.

Contact the Landlord and see if they got his/her permission to put up the
dish

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:04:25 +0100, "SJP"
wrote:

wrote in message
We live in an Edwardian 3 bed semi-detached house in West London. The
house we're attached to is owned by a landlord and new tenants moved
in over the weekend.
The first thing they did was fit a satellite dish at the rear of the
house in a very obtrusive position.

Contact the Landlord and see if they got his/her permission to put up the
dish

It's just amazing how the slightest question or gentlest suggestion to
a neighbour can (and often is) taken as if it were a manic rant of
uncontrollable rage!

Out neighbour has refused to discuss the "pruning" of her Ash tree.

You can cut off any overhanging branches but you must offer them back.
Unless there is a TPO, which there would be if it were near me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's just amazing how the slightest question or gentlest suggestion to
a neighbour can (and often is) taken as if it were a manic rant of
uncontrollable rage!

Out neighbour has refused to discuss the "pruning" of her Ash tree.
This tree is now easily 60 feet tall and when in leaf, totally
obscures the sunshine to our living room and back garden from about
15:00 onwards. It was not such a giant when I first asked if she could
maybe have it cut back a little - 30 years ago. We also have the
pleasure of raking up binloads of leaves from that tree each year.
It's a fine tree - but far to close (~40 feet) to our house

I'm so glad that out neighbours are all quite intelligent and sensible
to this sort of thing

Satellite dishes don't, as others have said, need to be up high unless
they need to clear an obstruction. Most Polish channels and remember
they have a right to see TV from their country under the human rights
act is receivable on a 60 cm dish. We've got ours up a corner of the
garden and their hidden away among some bushes and as along as they can
see their little bit of the sky their quite happy..

AFAIK there is no right to a view. Although legend has it there is a
right to light.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
John wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Planning has got very lax now, but there used to be a '45 degree rule',
where anything that you were proposing building, must be designed in such a
way that it did not fall within a 45 degree 'fan' drawn from any window on
an adjacent property. I had to comply with this, when I put in for planning
on my conservatory, and it was all detailed how to make sure of this, on the
planning guides that the local authority gave me. There also used to be
strict rules on the volume of any extension, compared to the volume of the
main house - especially if any extension work had already been done, which
would have eaten into the 'free gratis' allowance - and I think it also
depended on the type of house. Again, this is part of the reason that my
conservatory needed planning permission, as all of my free allowance had
been used up previously with a side extension. Probably not valid any more,
but might be worth looking into.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 14 Oct, 14:26, "George" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

It's actually fairly rare to have to put a satellite dish on any kind of
pole, unless the view of the sky to the south, is badly obscured by
buildings or trees from the position at which the dish is located. Unlike
with a UHF TV aerial, where additional height may be required to cope with
local or distant obstructions, this is not the case with satellite. In fact,
it is preferred for the dish to have as rigid a mount as possible, as the
beamwidth of the dish is extremely narrow, and for a stable signal, the last
thing that you need is the dish flapping about.

Bear in mind also that even mesh mini dishes still represent a significant
wind loading, and if it is on a pole 5 feet long, this will generate a
significant turning moment at the attachment point to the chimney, under
even moderate breeze conditions, so there could be a safety angle to
consider here. I seem to recall reading something somewhere, that most
(all?) local authorities have rules regarding the placement of satellite
dishes, and that strictly speaking, many installations, including the
'normal' wall mount, actually breach these regulations.

Take a look at whether the dish would have a clear view of the sky in the
direction it's pointing, from any other location on the house, and if so,
you may have grounds for complaint on a safety angle, if nothing else. Look
where other people have got their dishes installed. When doing this, bear in
mind that it will be an 'offset' dish, which means that the viewing angle is
governed by the reverse angle that the LNB arm forms to the face of the
dish, such that the dish points almost forward in a normal installation.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

When you collect up those leaves, just put them back her side of the fence.
If she queries this action, then politely tell her that you are just
returning what's hers.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

AIUI

If you prune overhanging branches you have to offer them back but they
do not have to accept them. (You can be prosecuted if the tree is
subject to a TPO.)

There are no rights to claim back or return naturally falling items such
as leaves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 15, 9:20*am, tony sayer wrote:

remember they have a right to see TV from their country under the human rights
act

You are joking, aren't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, mike scribeth thus
On Oct 15, 9:20*am, tony sayer wrote:

remember they have a right to see TV from their country under the human

rights
act

You are joking, aren't you?

No..

It is enshrined in that and or some EU directive somewhere a bit of
goggling will find it..

Anyways it should not be anymore of a problem than Sky reception, its
just another DTH sat after all and in sat terms Poland is local to
Europe and if its Hotbird then thats quite a "bright" satellite..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
John wrote:
wrote:
[...]

When neighbors go starkers in the USA:
San Anselmo woman guilty in attack on neighbor
Gary Klien
Article Launched: 10/08/2008 06:43:28 PM PDT

A San Anselmo woman charged with throwing a neighbor off his roof pleaded
guilty Wednesday in a deal with prosecutors.
Victoria Paige Billecci, 54, was arrested May 18 on suspicion of pushing
David Nicholson off the roof of his neighboring apartment at 404 San
Francisco Blvd. Sheriff's deputies said Nicholson, a contractor who stored
his ladders and tools on his roof, was shoved off the roof after climbing up
to investigate why Billecci was throwing his equipment to the ground.

Nicholson suffered two broken legs and two crushed ankles.

Prosecutors charged Billecci with attempted murder, felony assault with
force likely to commit great bodily injury, infliction of great bodily
injury and felony battery with serious bodily injury.

Billecci was scheduled to go on trial Friday, but on Wednesday she accepted
a plea deal and admitted to battery with serious bodily injury. The other
charges were dismissed.

Billecci faces up to four years in prison when she is sentenced Nov. 12
before Judge Paul Haakenson, said Deputy District Attorney Tom Brown.

Billecci is being held at the county jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon
scribeth thus
drugs began to take hold. I remember dave saying
something like:

Out neighbour has refused to discuss the "pruning" of her Ash tree.
This tree is now easily 60 feet tall and when in leaf, totally
obscures the sunshine to our living room and back garden from about
15:00 onwards. It was not such a giant when I first asked if she could
maybe have it cut back a little - 30 years ago. We also have the
pleasure of raking up binloads of leaves from that tree each year.
It's a fine tree - but far to close (~40 feet) to our house

Copper nails.

Dies that really work?, and if so how many as I'm sure their bl**dy
expensive..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Grimly Curmudgeon
scribeth thus
drugs began to take hold. I remember dave saying
something like:

Out neighbour has refused to discuss the "pruning" of her Ash tree.
This tree is now easily 60 feet tall and when in leaf, totally
obscures the sunshine to our living room and back garden from about
15:00 onwards. It was not such a giant when I first asked if she could
maybe have it cut back a little - 30 years ago. We also have the
pleasure of raking up binloads of leaves from that tree each year.
It's a fine tree - but far to close (~40 feet) to our house

Copper nails.

Dies that really work?, and if so how many as I'm sure their bl**dy
expensive..

I have heard that the only way copper nails will work is to use one nail
with a minimum diameter the same as that of the tree.
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/vi...71154ece 4449

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer
saying something like:

It's a fine tree - but far to close (~40 feet) to our house

Copper nails.

Dies that really work?, and if so how many as I'm sure their bl**dy
expensive..

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, as it's oft-repeated on the 'net, but a
bit of digging around brings up several who swear it does and several
who say it doesn't.

Arborists in general abhor the idea of nails in trunks - quite rightly,
as there's nothing more likely to **** you off than a nail wrecking your
saw chain.

From what I can see, a single copper nail isn't nearly toxic enough and
it would take a dozen or more around the trunk, as it seems the copper
breakdown products would cause local tissue death so would interfere
with moisture conduction that way - and possibly toxins being taken up
tot the foliage.
Lifting the bark, drilling a downward-sloping hole, and filling it with
copper sulphate or diesel seems to be a way to go.
Personally, I'd nip over the fence with a potato digger, and fill each
of a half-dozen holes in the ground around the base with sodium
chlorate. Or simply splosh a gallon of saturated solution of SC around
the base.

I wouldn't expect to see quick results from any poisoning method; the
copper nails method, if it works, will take a year or two by the looks
of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon
scribeth thus
drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer
saying something like:

It's a fine tree - but far to close (~40 feet) to our house

Copper nails.

Dies that really work?, and if so how many as I'm sure their bl**dy
expensive..

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, as it's oft-repeated on the 'net, but a
bit of digging around brings up several who swear it does and several
who say it doesn't.

Arborists in general abhor the idea of nails in trunks - quite rightly,
as there's nothing more likely to **** you off than a nail wrecking your
saw chain.

I took down a couple of old Leylandii at my dads old house .. shower of
sparks came out of the tree two of the bloody things had grown so close
they looked like one and there was an angle iron support stake right
between then so that the tree had grown around it!..../

From what I can see, a single copper nail isn't nearly toxic enough and
it would take a dozen or more around the trunk, as it seems the copper
breakdown products would cause local tissue death so would interfere
with moisture conduction that way - and possibly toxins being taken up
tot the foliage.
Lifting the bark, drilling a downward-sloping hole, and filling it with
copper sulphate or diesel seems to be a way to go.
Personally, I'd nip over the fence with a potato digger, and fill each
of a half-dozen holes in the ground around the base with sodium
chlorate. Or simply splosh a gallon of saturated solution of SC around
the base.

A moonlight mission is called for then by the sound of it..

I wouldn't expect to see quick results from any poisoning method; the
copper nails method, if it works, will take a year or two by the looks
of it.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

From what I can see, a single copper nail isn't nearly toxic enough and
[...]

This is my problem as well. The neighbour has grown a small tree
(lleylandi?) close to my conservatory - a bit under 2 feet away and it is
not possible to get into their garden. If I dig down on my side and put down
sodium chlorate close to the roots will that work or will I have to tunnel
under the fence?

Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roberts
writes

This is my problem as well. The neighbour has grown a small tree
(lleylandi?) close to my conservatory - a bit under 2 feet away and it is
not possible to get into their garden. If I dig down on my side and put down
sodium chlorate close to the roots will that work or will I have to tunnel
under the fence?

Robbie

This is getting a bit dodgy but if I had need to put chlorate, maybe in
solution to somewhere that I couldn't quite get to then I may consider
knocking a length of pipe, 15mm copper maybe, or similar, at an angle to
get in amongst the roots. Then pour as much as I liked over a period of
time down the pipe. Much easier than tunnelling.

Please let us know the outcome of any court case that may ensue.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Hansen
writes
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 05:22:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
wrote this:-

Bearing in mind that I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with
these people what is the law in this area (which in fairness they may
be totally unaware of) ?

Have you conversed with them about this yet?

I asked that a few days ago

"Have you had a chat with them yet about it?
Could well worth while."

Didn't get a reply but would hope that he has done so by now, may save a
lot of upset?

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Bearing in mind that I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with
these people what is the law in this area (which in fairness they may
be totally unaware of) ?

Have you conversed with them about this yet?

I asked that a few days ago

"Have you had a chat with them yet about it?
Could well worth while."

Didn't get a reply but would hope that he has done so by now, may save a
lot of upset?

Yes I did ask but nothing came of it. I did not expect much else - He is
arrogant and she is stuck up. I am told that the law does not apply to a
single leylandii tree.

Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill
saying something like:

This is getting a bit dodgy but if I had need to put chlorate, maybe in
solution to somewhere that I couldn't quite get to then I may consider
knocking a length of pipe, 15mm copper maybe, or similar, at an angle to
get in amongst the roots. Then pour as much as I liked over a period of
time down the pipe. Much easier than tunnelling.

Well thought, that man.

And for larger ones, a piece of black plastic downpipe discreetly worked
along the surrounding foliage to the base, every night. Or a bit of
black alkathene pipe held out over the ground by a black-painted pole.

Sony satellite dish - any use for it? Bruce Home Repair 8 January 15th 15 02:34 AM
Positioning a satellite dish? Eddy[_2_] UK diy 13 February 11th 08 06:27 PM
satellite dish JAT Electronics Repair 3 August 24th 05 12:55 AM
Can I use a satellite dish as an antenna? [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 30th 05 03:42 PM
Siting a satellite dish using satellite eclipse with the sun Roger UK diy 8 October 15th 04 01:46 AM