Default Can I use a satellite dish as an antenna?

Moved into a house that has a Hughes satellite dish mounted near the roof
line. The house is wired for both satellite and cable. I've opted for
cable for now. However, I'm curious to know if I could use the existing
satellite dish (in conjunction with a tuner) as an antenna to pick up local
TV stations.

In my area, Time Warner Cable is not permitted to carry the HD signals of
the Sinclair Broadcasting FOX and ABC affiliates. I'm frustrated by the
limited HD options and would like to purchase a tuner to use with my Sony
projection system. The projection system is located in the basement of the
house and I would have very easy access to the coax going to the dish.
Mounting an actual antenna outside would require a bit of additional effort.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
.. .
Moved into a house that has a Hughes satellite dish mounted near the roof
line. The house is wired for both satellite and cable. I've opted for
cable for now. However, I'm curious to know if I could use the existing
satellite dish (in conjunction with a tuner) as an antenna to pick up
local
TV stations.

Nope, it is designed to pick up a signal from a geostationary satellite.
You need a real antenna that is tuned to the TV frequencies.

les

Ed is correct about the microwave aspect of the dish, however they do sell a
circular
antenna that rings the perimeter of the dish itself so as to be stealthy. It
is intended
for just the normal broadcast bands and usual TV tuner setup.
Now, if you're asking if it works well, I'd say it can't be as good as a 8
element
beam (the typical antenna) because it has a compromised configuration and
no gain. If you are close to the towers and have no obstructions, it should
work well.
But, otherwise......who knows.
Since you mention HD, you are talking digital. This now means a more
stringent
signal, and ghosting problems. I'm hesitant to imply this circular antenna
will
work well in the HD case because it will require tweeking the dish
directions
to get the best signal, and how good the end result will be may be marginal
by the nature of the parameters.
Make sure the antenna is returnable..............

Les KA9GLW

Thank you for the input I appreciate it.

If Time Warner can't resolve their impasse with Sinclair, I'll want to do
something to secure the high def signal from the local Fox and ABC
affiliates.

Thanks again.