Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for Garage vents please

I'm after some venting for my garage which I've been in the process of
sealing up in the last year so when I'm in there in winter the heat
stays in. Now i've found some things rusting in there which I assume
is because of a lack of good ventilation - so any recommendations it
needs to be able to close, be fairly large as I imagine the garage
would need reasonable airflow to stop it getting too humid and also
insulate reasonably well when closed and be burglar proof as well.

The plan is when I'm not working in there i'll open the vents - I
guess having some on each side of the garage would be best to try and
get air through the garage - it's fully detached (unlike my house LOL)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

405 TD Estate wrote:
I'm after some venting for my garage which I've been in the process of
sealing up in the last year so when I'm in there in winter the heat
stays in. Now i've found some things rusting in there which I assume
is because of a lack of good ventilation - so any recommendations it
needs to be able to close, be fairly large as I imagine the garage
would need reasonable airflow to stop it getting too humid and also
insulate reasonably well when closed and be burglar proof as well.

The plan is when I'm not working in there i'll open the vents - I
guess having some on each side of the garage would be best to try and
get air through the garage - it's fully detached (unlike my house LOL)

Have you considered a dehumidifer? If you are in the garage a lot of the
time, it might avoid the worst of the warming/cooling cycles that will
occur if you are heating it then venting it.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod writes:
405 TD Estate wrote:
I'm after some venting for my garage which I've been in the process of
sealing up in the last year so when I'm in there in winter the heat
stays in. Now i've found some things rusting in there which I assume
is because of a lack of good ventilation - so any recommendations it
needs to be able to close, be fairly large as I imagine the garage
would need reasonable airflow to stop it getting too humid and also
insulate reasonably well when closed and be burglar proof as well.

The plan is when I'm not working in there i'll open the vents - I
guess having some on each side of the garage would be best to try and
get air through the garage - it's fully detached (unlike my house LOL)

Have you considered a dehumidifer? If you are in the garage a lot of the
time, it might avoid the worst of the warming/cooling cycles that will
occur if you are heating it then venting it.

I'd echo the suggestion of a dehumidifier, if the garage is quite
well sealed. It will give off some heat (200 to 400W depending on
model), but the dehumidifying action will make that _very_ much
more effective than a heater of that power rating. Look for one
with a humidistat on it. If you keep an eye out on clearance offers,
you can sometimes pick them up very cheaply.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I considered a de-humidifier but A) it will take up some space i'd
prefer to use for something else (garage is quite small and full!) B)
They are expensive(ish) to buy and C) they use a moderate amount of
electricity.

I was thinking if the garage were very well vented then I probably
wouldn't have the condensation problems and since the condensation
problems don't occur while I'm working in there I could seal them and
heat it while I'm in there and then open them when I leave which
should sort out the problem with the minimum cost and space.

There is a window in there but I dont want to open it as it's a bit of
an invite to burglars
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bump - would people agree with the vent idea - rather than a de-
humidifier - any source for the vents?

perhaps I could try leaving the window open and I have a max/min
humidity sensor I could do a back to back type test on that?