Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing down the new shed

Thanks to the advice here, I collected a Keter plastic shed in the back
of the car on Wednesday, and had it up by early Friday. My lovely wife
has now progressed beyond her comparison of it to a big portaloo to
saying it looks quite good.
The whole job was done single handed except for the window, which did
need two of us.
I prepared the ground as they suggested by digging it over, removing
stones and tree roots and then raking level. During this process, under
some trees, I was surprised by the huge quantity of worms that appeared
and the lightness of the soil. The base went on, and seemed firm and
flat, so the shed was thrown up. This involved a lot of tramping in and
out, and one corner of the floor near the door hinge compressed the soil
beneath and became springy.
I suppose I should have compacted the soil a lot more. I don't think the
worms will have helped. Jacking the corner up and poking soil underneath
with an improvised tool seems to have got the floor stable and the door
locks lined up, so we seem good to go. My thoughts have now turned to
wind.

In the past with sheds, I've hammered big angle metal stakes into the
ground and fixed the shed to them. The instructions for this shed refer
to 1 1/2" to 3" screws through the floor. If this refers to diameter it
sounds huge and doesn't match the holes, if it refers to length, it
seems rather pathetic. I'd have expected at least a foot into soil.

So to the question... are there such things as soil anchoring screws? If
so, what does one ask for and where?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Ground anchors. They use them for anchoring kiddies swings and play towers
amongs other things. Youcan get them in different sizes - like this one.
http://tinyurl.com/4jr4tz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill submitted this idea :

So to the question... are there such things as soil anchoring screws? If so,
what does one ask for and where?

You can buy them. They have a thread which is about 3" OD, made of 5mm
rod with a triangular shape at the top to screw it in. Camping type
shops sell them for tieing down tents, pet shops for fixing dog leads
and I have seen the in pound shops too. The work best into ground which
has some vegetation.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Neil writes
Ground anchors. They use them for anchoring kiddies swings and play
towers amongs other things. Youcan get them in different sizes - like
this one. http://tinyurl.com/4jr4tz

Hmm,... How would I get these through the about 1" holes in the floor? I
can improvise external things and the loop on the top implies external.

I was assuming that what I would need would be something like a long
spiral rod with a nut welded on the top to fit in the recessed floor
hole. I found something like this, but the price (£13 eqch) was a bit
out of my range and they had a clip on top to fall over..
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
I have seen the in pound shops too

Ahhh, my language!

Thanks.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I saw some in our local (huge) B&Q t'other day in various sizes.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

New Shed Jacky UK diy 5 February 24th 06 11:02 AM
SHED J T Woodworking 0 August 28th 05 12:19 AM
A new Shed! Gary Cavie UK diy 4 January 4th 05 09:31 PM
10 x 8 shed ? Richard Grounddiver UK diy 1 June 2nd 04 12:52 PM
Shed Fixing PoP UK diy 3 April 16th 04 08:02 PM