Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The wind in my cellar!

Here's some pics of my cellar which I recently discovered and dug out.
When it's windy outside, a cool breeze blows in through the geological
fault in the floor. It's a bit strange so I've decided to keep it as a
feature, and hopefully as a handy radon sump. The only down side is
that strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

The front of the cellar:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llarStairs.jpg

The rear of the cellar: (anyone guess what the strange window-like
feature is?)

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...cellarRear.jpg

The noisy windy crack in the floor:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...floorFault.jpg

The geological fault seen on the walls:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r.../leftFault.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...Rightfault.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Here's some pics of my cellar which I recently discovered and dug out.
When it's windy outside, a cool breeze blows in through the geological
fault in the floor. It's a bit strange so I've decided to keep it as a
feature, and hopefully as a handy radon sump. The only down side is
that strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

That's wonderful! If you've dug all that out well done - it must have been a
lot of effort.

I wish it were mine.

Are the walls brick?

The 'window' could be just that - at one time it might have been above
ground level and let in light through the slit - if that's what it is.

That vaulted roof suggests not a modern building.

I'm fascinated!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

That's wonderful!

Yup. thats what wind is. Strange noises coming through the crack ;-)

Not sure I'd call it 'wonderful ' tho...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Here's some pics of my cellar which I recently discovered and dug out.
When it's windy outside, a cool breeze blows in through the geological
fault in the floor. It's a bit strange so I've decided to keep it as a
feature, and hopefully as a handy radon sump. The only down side is
that strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

The front of the cellar:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llarStairs.jpg

The rear of the cellar: (anyone guess what the strange window-like
feature is?)

What a wonderfull discovery, I wonder if the the slit was above the ground
at one time, and could be used to fire arrows through, protecting your
property?

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Oct, 11:55, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
wrote in message

Here's some pics of my cellar which I recently discovered and dug out.
When it's windy outside, a cool breeze blows in through the geological
fault in the floor. It's a bit strange so I've decided to keep it as a
feature, and hopefully as a handy radon sump. The only down side is
that strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

That's wonderful! If you've dug all that out well done - it must have been a
lot of effort.

I wish it were mine.

Are the walls brick?

The 'window' could be just that - at one time it might have been above
ground level and let in light through the slit - if that's what it is.

That vaulted roof suggests not a modern building.

I'm fascinated!

Mary

The cellar was surprisingly empty of rubble. I think I caused as much
to fall in by breaking into it as was there in the first place. I
filled a skip by carrying those flexible plastic buckets and up the
stairs.

The cellar dates from the 1600s as far as I know. The lower part is
simply cut from the bedrock (the local ironstone), and the rest of the
walls and the ceiling are made from cut ironstone and mud. There is
not a drop of lime in its construction!

I suppose it is entirely possible that the window did look above
ground at one time. That would mean the worker's cottages next door
were a later addition.

My neighbour, who is a geologist, says he has never come across a
fault with a wind blowing through it before!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Here's some pics of my cellar which I recently discovered and dug out.
When it's windy outside, a cool breeze blows in through the geological
fault in the floor. It's a bit strange so I've decided to keep it as a
feature, and hopefully as a handy radon sump. The only down side is
that strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

The noisy windy crack in the floor:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...floorFault.jpg

Keep digging there's another room (or Well) down there!!

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llar/cellarSta...

The rear of the cellar: (anyone guess what the strange window-like
feature is?)

What a wonderfull discovery, I wonder if the the slit was above the ground
at one time, and could be used to fire arrows through, protecting your
property?

Des

It's not actually a slit, it's an iron bar in front of some stones,
which look like they were put there from the other side. I'm starting
to form the opinion that the window may well have been above ground at
some point, and been used to chuck stuff in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dieseldes" wrote in message

What a wonderfull discovery, I wonder if the the slit was above the ground
at one time, and could be used to fire arrows through, protecting your
property?

Des

Arrows aren't fired :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dieseldes" wrote in message

What a wonderfull discovery, I wonder if the the slit was above the ground
at one time, and could be used to fire arrows through, protecting your
property?

Des

Arrows aren't fired :-)

Mary

fire arrows are. Nah nah-nee-nah ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dieseldes" wrote in message

What a wonderfull discovery, I wonder if the the slit was above the ground
at one time, and could be used to fire arrows through, protecting your
property?

Des

Arrows aren't fired :-)

Mary

Unless it is a Singijeon! :-) :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singijeon

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

The rear of the cellar: (anyone guess what the strange window-like
feature is?)

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...cellarRear.jpg

Coal chute, wine barrels, small boys, anything of that order.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Oct, 12:33, Roger wrote:
The message

from contains these words:

The rear of the cellar: (anyone guess what the strange window-like
feature is?)

Could be a coal shute.

--
Roger Chapman

I'm pretty sure that the window/chute would be for something other
than coal, as the cellar predates the availability of coal in these
parts. Also, the opening definitely isn't upwards. The window is about
33" deep and has a large cut stone above it acting as a lintel, which
supports the wall between me and my neighbours (which is of a similar
thickness).

It only makes sense if the window/chute was above ground at some time,
or my neighbour has a cellar too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Here's some pics of my cellar which I recently discovered and dug out.
When it's windy outside, a cool breeze blows in through the geological
fault in the floor. It's a bit strange so I've decided to keep it as a
feature, and hopefully as a handy radon sump. The only down side is
that strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

The front of the cellar:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llarStairs.jpg

The rear of the cellar: (anyone guess what the strange window-like
feature is?)

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...cellarRear.jpg

The noisy windy crack in the floor:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...floorFault.jpg

The geological fault seen on the walls:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r.../leftFault.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...Rightfault.jpg

Where abouts in the country are you?
That looks amazingly similar to the cellar in my in-laws house in the
Midlands. That part of their house is c17 or c18 depending on which
experts you talk to and which bits they are looking at.
They have exactly that window arrangement including the slope of the
wall beneath it and we're fairly sure it was originally a coal chute.
In their case the other side of it is clearly present at the edge of
te road. Where would the other side be in your case?
It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that you've discovered another
room as it would explain the draft nicely. In my in-laws house the
same cellar arrangement extends under the neighbours house and the air
in the two connects though gaps in the wall That's even though the
neighbours house wouldn't have been built at the same time as the
cellar so it must have been under something else originally if you
seee what I mean.
How about puffing some coloured smoke into the hole and seeing if it
magically appears somewhere interesting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Oct, 15:05, Calvin wrote:
wrote:
Here's some pics of my cellar which I recently discovered and dug out.
When it's windy outside, a cool breeze blows in through the geological
fault in the floor. It's a bit strange so I've decided to keep it as a
feature, and hopefully as a handy radon sump. The only down side is
that strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

The front of the cellar:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llar/cellarSta...

The rear of the cellar: (anyone guess what the strange window-like
feature is?)

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llar/cellarRea...

The noisy windy crack in the floor:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llar/floorFaul...

The geological fault seen on the walls:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llar/leftFault...

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llar/Rightfaul...

[...]

That's fascinating. I'm in Oxfordshire, but only just - Warwickshire
is just a stone's throw away. The nearest well known landmark would be
Edge Hill. The house is C17, before coal was used much round here, but
not before ale houses at the side of the road were common. I'm
becomming more convinced that the ground level was lower, and this was
a chute for supplying whatever was stored or brewed down there. I
spoke to a conservation officer recently who said it was typical of a
C17 ale cellar.

I must say that I'm surprised that an arched ceiling constructed from
mud and stone - ie. there isn't any lime in the mortar, has lasted
this well. In fact, there isn't really any mortar either - it's just
the subsoil!

As for the wind from the crack in the floor, the only conceivable
place it could come from is an opening in a small valley about 200m
away. It keeps the air fresh down there anyway...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message strange noises come through the
crack from time to time.

That's wonderful!

Yup. thats what wind is. Strange noises coming through the crack ;-)

Not sure I'd call it 'wonderful ' tho...

Perhaps your Austrian neighbour has the same kind of cellar, and he keeps
his 'other' family down there?

--
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 9 Oct, 15:05, Calvin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That would be about 30 miles as the crow flies from my in-law's house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

That's fascinating. I'm in Oxfordshire, but only just - Warwickshire

is just a stone's throw away. The nearest well known landmark would be
Edge Hill. The house is C17, before coal was used much round here, but
not before ale houses at the side of the road were common. I'm
becomming more convinced that the ground level was lower,

It usually was.

and this was

a chute for supplying whatever was stored or brewed down there. I
spoke to a conservation officer recently who said it was typical of a
C17 ale cellar.

I must say that I'm surprised that an arched ceiling constructed from

mud and stone - ie. there isn't any lime in the mortar, has lasted
this well. In fact, there isn't really any mortar either - it's just
the subsoil!

That's how they were made :-)

As for the wind from the crack in the floor, the only conceivable

place it could come from is an opening in a small valley about 200m
away. It keeps the air fresh down there anyway...

Have you tried any method of tracing the wind to that opening?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

coughed up some electrons that declared:

Here's some pics of my cellar which I recently discovered and dug out.
When it's windy outside, a cool breeze blows in through the geological
fault in the floor. It's a bit strange so I've decided to keep it as a
feature, and hopefully as a handy radon sump. The only down side is
that strange noises come through the crack from time to time.

The front of the cellar:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...llarStairs.jpg

The rear of the cellar: (anyone guess what the strange window-like
feature is?)

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...cellarRear.jpg

The noisy windy crack in the floor:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...floorFault.jpg

The geological fault seen on the walls:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r.../leftFault.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...Rightfault.jpg

Now I'm back from work and can look at your piccies, I must add...

You lucky sod!

Any idea what you'll do with it? Wine/beer cellar? Fit it out for a small
office? Workshop?

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Oct, 20:53, Tim S wrote:
[...]

A wine/beer cellar sounds a good idea! Actually, now that it's
repointed, limewashed, and has a limecrete floor (leaving the fault
open to let the air in) it's looking quite bright and inviting. My
wife is determined to have an occasional firkin of ale (Hooky bitter),
and I shall certainly have a wine rack or two. We will also be
clamping our allotment produce down there, and perhaps hanging a ham.
I'd also like to try my hand at cheese making.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

A wine/beer cellar sounds a good idea! Actually, now that it's
repointed, limewashed, and has a limecrete floor (leaving the fault
open to let the air in) it's looking quite bright and inviting. My
wife is determined to have an occasional firkin of ale (Hooky bitter),
and I shall certainly have a wine rack or two. We will also be
clamping our allotment produce down there, and perhaps hanging a ham.
I'd also like to try my hand at cheese making.

You can go right off some folk!

It would be really good to know what you do despite my envy.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 09:41, wrote:
On 9 Oct, 20:53, Tim S wrote:

[...]

Tom, I'm getting curious about what type of house is on top of this
fascinating cellar. Any chance of a pic or description of the house
itself ?
And how did you find the cellar - where are the stairs from the house,
etc. ? I need to know the whole story !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 10 Oct, 09:41, wrote:
On 9 Oct, 20:53, Tim S wrote:

[...]

Seconded - come on, tell all. I'm really jealous as it looks fantastic.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 10:36, "John" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
On 10 Oct, 09:41, wrote:
On 9 Oct, 20:53, Tim S wrote:

[...]

I'll post a pic when I find the camera. Above the cellar is a humble
ironstone rubble built cottage, that's been knocked about by
generations of previous owners.

At the front of the house was a 3'x2' stone slab, that had been there
since we moved in. I decided to move it as I thought it might make a
good floor for the porch I planned to build. Panic set in, when a hole
opened up beneath it that lead diagonally under the house. A lot had
been going wrong with the renovation, and a collapsing house was the
last thing I needed. As far as I was aware, the house had no
foundations (it has none apart from where the cellar is) and I feared
the worst.

There was only one thing to do, so I attached a rope round my wife's
waist and lowered her through the hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message news:f3f34cfb-5492-42e5-84e0-

I'll post a pic when I find the camera.

Did you leave it in the crypt?

Above the cellar is a humble
ironstone rubble built cottage, that's been knocked about by
generations of previous owners.

At the front of the house was a 3'x2' stone slab, that had been there
since we moved in. I decided to move it as I thought it might make a
good floor for the porch I planned to build. Panic set in, when a hole
opened up beneath it that lead diagonally under the house. A lot had
been going wrong with the renovation, and a collapsing house was the
last thing I needed. As far as I was aware, the house had no
foundations (it has none apart from where the cellar is) and I feared
the worst.

There was only one thing to do, so I attached a rope round my wife's
waist and lowered her through the hole.

LOL!

Tom, this has to be the best thread for a long time :-)

Mary

Hole in cellar Arthur Dent UK diy 7 October 18th 07 12:38 AM
Cellar Ventilation mark UK diy 1 August 18th 07 12:18 AM
Just discovered a cellar!!! [email protected] UK diy 27 August 8th 07 01:29 PM
winer cellar in house with no cellar Fred UK diy 12 November 24th 04 12:25 AM
Flooded Cellar Stormin Mormon Home Repair 5 September 11th 04 01:52 AM