Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got a part number for a Vaillant PRV

Hi
The PRV on my Vaillant TurbomaxPlus 837e (VUW GB 362/2) has started
leaking approx 1/2 pint a day - time for new one I think.

Anyone know the correct part number for this part? All the online
suppliers I've found so far don't seem to list this model.
Many thanks
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MarkF writes:
Hi
The PRV on my Vaillant TurbomaxPlus 837e (VUW GB 362/2) has started
leaking approx 1/2 pint a day - time for new one I think.

What's the system pressure, and are you having to top it
up regularly? Does it leak continuously or only when hot?
(Just wondering if the expansion vessel might be the problem,
so it's going over pressure when hot, and then dropping under
pressure when cold to due PRV releasing the excess.)

If it leaks when cold, it may have got some debris trapped
in it. You might be able to release that by deliberately
discharging a few short bursts through it using the knob.

Anyone know the correct part number for this part? All the online
suppliers I've found so far don't seem to list this model.

Does it need something special, rather than a bog-standard one?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
MarkF writes:
Hi
The PRV on my Vaillant TurbomaxPlus 837e (VUW GB 362/2) has started
leaking approx 1/2 pint a day - time for new one I think.

If it leaks when cold, it may have got some debris trapped
in it. You might be able to release that by deliberately
discharging a few short bursts through it using the knob.

your supposed to turn the red knob every so often anyway, but i bet most
people dont.

turning the knob clears out limescale and other crap that forms on the seal,
as well as turning the seal around a bit to a new seating position, do it
often enough and you hardly ever have to replace them, that's what i found
out with boats and motorhomes with calorifiers which use a 3 bar prv anyway,
the ones that need changing due to leaking the owners didnt even know it was
there half the time, and the others thought turning it adjusted the pressure
setting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
MarkF writes:
Hi
The PRV on my Vaillant TurbomaxPlus 837e (VUW GB 362/2) has started
leaking approx 1/2 pint a day - time for new one I think.

What's the system pressure, and are you having to top it
up regularly? Does it leak continuously or only when hot?
(Just wondering if the expansion vessel might be the problem,
so it's going over pressure when hot, and then dropping under
pressure when cold to due PRV releasing the excess.)

The pressure is dropping to the bottom stop daily. It seems to leak when
cold but not as fast when hot.

If it leaks when cold, it may have got some debris trapped
in it. You might be able to release that by deliberately
discharging a few short bursts through it using the knob.

I've done that already but I can try again.

Anyone know the correct part number for this part? All the online
suppliers I've found so far don't seem to list this model.

Does it need something special, rather than a bog-standard one?

No idea - all the ones that I've seen online list Vaillant numbers but
just not mine. Are all 3Bar PRVs equal?

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MarkF writes:
Hi
The PRV on my Vaillant TurbomaxPlus 837e (VUW GB 362/2) has started
leaking approx 1/2 pint a day - time for new one I think.

If it leaks when cold, it may have got some debris trapped
in it. You might be able to release that by deliberately
discharging a few short bursts through it using the knob.

your supposed to turn the red knob every so often anyway, but i bet most
people dont.

That's interesting - I've never heard that before but it makes some sense.

turning the knob clears out limescale and other crap that forms on the
seal, as well as turning the seal around a bit to a new seating
position, do it often enough and you hardly ever have to replace them,
that's what i found out with boats and motorhomes with calorifiers which
use a 3 bar prv anyway, the ones that need changing due to leaking the
owners didnt even know it was there half the time, and the others
thought turning it adjusted the pressure setting.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MarkF writes:

Does it need something special, rather than a bog-standard one?

No idea - all the ones that I've seen online list Vaillant numbers but
just not mine. Are all 3Bar PRVs equal?

There are differences in fittings, compression verses combinations of
BSP male/female, and also types with integral pressure guage, or not.

Vaillant could have had something special made for them though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:02:59 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
MarkF writes:

Does it need something special, rather than a bog-standard one?

No idea - all the ones that I've seen online list Vaillant numbers but
just not mine. Are all 3Bar PRVs equal?

There are differences in fittings, compression verses combinations of
BSP male/female, and also types with integral pressure guage, or not.

Vaillant could have had something special made for them though.

I think the Vaillant ones use a clip+O-ring type seal, as do many of the
water components in the boiler.