Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parquet flooring help please

We have a fairly large lounge laid with parquet flooring, which we had
sanded and treated with a liquid varnish about 7 years ago, the gaps
between the blocks were filled with the resultant wood dust mixed the
the varnish. Owing to the layout of the bungalow there is a lot of
tracking by the 2 doors, and where my feet rest when in my favourite
chair! This has led to marking of the floor where worn, also the gaps
have re-opened. Because of the mess we are not prepared to go through
the sanding and varnishing process again. Any ideas of how the floor may
be treated to make good, before we carpet over?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
We have a fairly large lounge laid with parquet flooring, which we had
sanded and treated with a liquid varnish about 7 years ago, the gaps
between the blocks were filled with the resultant wood dust mixed the
the varnish. Owing to the layout of the bungalow there is a lot of
tracking by the 2 doors, and where my feet rest when in my favourite
chair! This has led to marking of the floor where worn, also the gaps
have re-opened. Because of the mess we are not prepared to go through
the sanding and varnishing process again. Any ideas of how the floor may
be treated to make good, before we carpet over?

just normal underlay and carpet will work you should see the gaps in out
floor boards that's hidden by the underlay

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-10-07, Broadback wrote:
We have a fairly large lounge laid with parquet flooring, which we had
sanded and treated with a liquid varnish about 7 years ago, the gaps
between the blocks were filled with the resultant wood dust mixed the
the varnish. Owing to the layout of the bungalow there is a lot of
tracking by the 2 doors, and where my feet rest when in my favourite
chair! This has led to marking of the floor where worn, also the gaps
have re-opened. Because of the mess we are not prepared to go through
the sanding and varnishing process again. Any ideas of how the floor may
be treated to make good, before we carpet over?

Don't bother. We covered the parquet in our hall and dining room with carpet and
I didn't do a thing to it first, other than take up the quadrant at the bottom
of the skirting boards.

Sorry, I have reread my post and it does not say what I wanted it to.
What I meant was we would prefer to keep the parquet flooring, is there
any treatment that would rejuvenate it short of re-sanding! If not then
we will be forced to carpet it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2008-10-07, Broadback wrote:
[...]

I have that problem as well brain thinks one thing hands type another :-)
but I would have thought short of sanding and re varnishing your only
option is going to be that carpet

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2008-10-07, Broadback wrote:
[...]

IME when varnish looks pale where it has worn, it's often just the
rougher texture not reflecting light as well. If a wipe with white
spirit revives the colour, you might just need to lightly re-varnish (or
wax even) that area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2008-10-07, Broadback wrote:
[...]

Waxing also fills gaps - but needs regular application/buffing, so is
far from popular.

NT

Parquet flooring Chaudhry Nijjhar Woodworking 3 October 3rd 07 01:52 PM
Parquet flooring. [email protected] UK diy 5 May 1st 06 10:44 AM
parquet flooring anonomous Home Repair 1 October 23rd 04 03:53 AM
Oak parquet flooring Amt UK diy 1 April 9th 04 06:18 PM
2x4 parquet flooring cyber Home Ownership 2 July 16th 03 01:38 AM