Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom extractor fan

I'm trying to choose which extractor fan to get for my shower room and
am not doing well

So far I have decided to get a Vextaxia or Xpelair or similar quality
and it will have a pullcord control. Thats the easy bit

From the Ventaxia (or was it Xpelair) pdf I have worked out that a
100mm round duct would be OK. Except that I cant use round duct in the
space I have, it has to be rectangular, probably 100mm*54mm so the
resistance calculations given in the pdf are not relevant for my
situation and I cant use them to work out what fan I need and I have
to revert to reading marketing blurb

So when it says "suitable for use with short lengths of ducting" what
does it mean by short? My ducting will be a straight run of about 4m
long, smooth and with two 45 degree elbows

The room is small 6.3 cubic metres so I expect I only need a basic
100mm bathroom fan but I'm not confident of this

Does anyone have vaguely this sort of setup and if so how powerful a
fan do you have and does it extract successfully?

I need a drink
Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:

Does anyone have vaguely this sort of setup and if so how powerful a
fan do you have and does it extract successfully?

The venting setup sounds a bit like one of mine, which I have to say is
pretty borderline, using a basic Screwfix model. I suspect you'll just
have to suck it and see? using as powerful a fan as you can get?

Any chance you can up the size of the ducting to 125mm - that would help
for sure.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 7:49*pm, (Anna Kettle) wrote:

I'm trying to choose which extractor fan to get for my shower room and
am not doing well

So far I have decided to get a Vextaxia or Xpelair or similar quality
and it will have a pullcord control. Thats the easy bit

From the Ventaxia (or was it Xpelair) pdf I have worked out that a
100mm round duct would be OK. Except that I cant use round duct in the
space I have, it has to be rectangular, probably 100mm*54mm so the
resistance calculations given in the pdf are not relevant for my
situation and I cant use them to work out what fan I need and I have
to revert to reading marketing blurb

So when it says "suitable for use with short lengths of ducting" what
does it mean by short? My ducting will be a straight run of about 4m
long, smooth and with two 45 degree elbows

The room is small 6.3 cubic metres so I expect I only need a basic
100mm bathroom fan but I'm not confident of this

Does anyone have vaguely this sort of setup and if so how powerful a
fan do you have and does it extract successfully?

I need a drink
Anna

You've not clarified what the purpose of the extractor is, so its hard
to know what your target extraction rate is. 4" fans have very low
extraction rates fwiw.

Axial fans are designed to be used with a through the wall duct, ie a
foot or so. Long ducts require the other type - whats the word for
them! - to maintain flow rate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Oct 3, 7:49 pm, (Anna Kettle) wrote:

I'm trying to choose which extractor fan to get for my shower room and
am not doing well

So far I have decided to get a Vextaxia or Xpelair or similar quality
and it will have a pullcord control. Thats the easy bit

From the Ventaxia (or was it Xpelair) pdf I have worked out that a
[...]

ITYM centrifugal!

David

bathroom extractor fan benpost UK diy 28 December 18th 07 09:47 PM
PIR Bathroom Extractor Fan Shay UK diy 0 May 10th 07 09:34 PM
Bathroom extractor fan [email protected] UK diy 5 November 4th 06 06:46 PM
Extractor fan in bathroom Richard Conway UK diy 6 March 4th 05 11:51 PM
5" bathroom extractor fan JoeJoe UK diy 10 October 16th 04 12:12 PM