Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceiling fan for drying washing

I saw a suggestion some time ago
that instead of using a tumbler drier
one should save energy by installing a ceiling fan
over an indoor line of washing.

Does anyone do this?

And if so, does anyone know where one can get
a reasonably small ceiling fan?
The ones I hae seen advertised are all too large,
and come down too far (2 ft or so) from the ceiling,
at least for my utility room.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I saw a suggestion some time ago
that instead of using a tumbler drier
one should save energy by installing a ceiling fan
over an indoor line of washing.

Does anyone do this?

Nope.
Certainly not in the wither it won't work either you'll end up with
internal damp problems.

You wand a dehumidifier, clothes horse, and a "tent" (I made mine out of
bubble wrap to enclose the "system" and complete the package) (some use
a small cupboard)

And if so, does anyone know where one can get
a reasonably small ceiling fan?
The ones I hae seen advertised are all too large,
and come down too far (2 ft or so) from the ceiling,
at least for my utility room.

B&Q should do you for most things.
You could make a "tent" from anything like Builders polythene and duct
tape etc to make your mini eco-system.

:¬)

Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 12:55*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I saw a suggestion some time ago
that instead of using a tumbler drier
one should save energy by installing a ceiling fan
over an indoor line of washing.

Does anyone do this?

And if so, does anyone know where one can get
a reasonably small ceiling fan?
The ones I hae seen advertised are all too large,
and come down too far (2 ft or so) from the ceiling,
at least for my utility room.

It works well, but there are a couple of downsides. First no-one wants
a room fan running in winter, makes it feel colder. 2nd the water
content is dumped into the air.

A better solution is to combine the fan with this:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....Clothes_Dryer:
in a utility room or large wrdrobe

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 12:55*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I saw a suggestion some time ago
that instead of using a tumbler drier
one should save energy by installing a ceiling fan
over an indoor line of washing.

Does anyone do this?

And if so, does anyone know where one can get
a reasonably small ceiling fan?
The ones I hae seen advertised are all too large,
and come down too far (2 ft or so) from the ceiling,
at least for my utility room.

Ceiling huggers dont come down far. B&Q do 2' caged fans which can be
used for low ceiling heights. But a big fan on min speed is always
going to be quieter.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I saw a suggestion some time ago
that instead of using a tumbler drier
one should save energy by installing a ceiling fan
over an indoor line of washing.

Does anyone do this?

And if so, does anyone know where one can get
a reasonably small ceiling fan?
The ones I hae seen advertised are all too large,
and come down too far (2 ft or so) from the ceiling,
at least for my utility room.

I saw some on sale in B&Q recently which were simple and neat
all-white fans with no underslung lights and no decoration - just a
clean, low profile, minimalist white fan.

I can't recall the price but in the same bargain bin were some really
chintzy fans with decorated blades and an underslung chandelier.
Unbelievably tacky, they were selling for a fraction of the price of
the neat white one.

The neat one came to about 12 inches below ceiling level. I daresay
you could shorten the stem, but there must be a minimum amount of room
needed above the fan to supply it with air without causing it to
wobble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I saw a suggestion some time ago
that instead of using a tumbler drier
one should save energy by installing a ceiling fan
over an indoor line of washing.

Does anyone do this?

And if so, does anyone know where one can get
a reasonably small ceiling fan?
The ones I hae seen advertised are all too large,
and come down too far (2 ft or so) from the ceiling,
at least for my utility room.

I'm not sure how good an idea this is. You will have to accept
the risk of the room suffering from the dampness, and ensure that
it is vented to the exterior.

However, if all you really need to do is stir the air, around
washing on some form of airier, you can probably get a
freestanding fan quite cheaply now, as "summer" stock is being
shifted. For instance:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...6764&langId=-1

16" pedestal fan for £6.99

Chris