Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stove with Boiler, smokeless zone

Folks,

I would rather like to have a boiler stove in the lounge, so I can heat my
central heating with solid fuel (as a supplement to the boiler)

The problem is (Or is it?) I live in a smokeless zone.

I quite like the idea of making bricks from paper, and then burning them, as
this is free heating, and in the current times, has to be a good idea!

Is this a possibility in a smokeless zone, so do I need to move!?

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:

I quite like the idea of making bricks from paper, and then burning them, as
this is free heating, and in the current times, has to be a good idea!

Is this a possibility in a smokeless zone,

It's not a possibility anywhere. To heat a fairly average house you
would need somewhere between a tonne and two tonnes of paper per year.
If you have time to collect that much paper and mulch it down into
papier mache then compact it into "bricks" and dry it down to the
appropriate moisture content before burning it then you have too much
time on your hands.

And even if you could collect the paper and make the bricks then you
would find that it makes poor quality fuel.

I burn most of our newspaper in a log burner, and simply roll them up
then put a crimp in the roll to stop them unwinding. Even so they make a
lot of ash by comparison with logs, and they don't last very long. I can
get rid of a month's papers in a couple of days.

so do I need to move!?

You need to get a grip on reality.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:12:19 +0100, "Toby" wrote:

Folks,

I would rather like to have a boiler stove in the lounge, so I can heat my
central heating with solid fuel (as a supplement to the boiler)

The problem is (Or is it?) I live in a smokeless zone.

I quite like the idea of making bricks from paper, and then burning them, as
this is free heating, and in the current times, has to be a good idea!

Is this a possibility in a smokeless zone, so do I need to move!?

Thanks!

Have a look at http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/homenew.htm
I've got the Yorkshire multi fuel, with boiler.
Last winters gas bill was £16.

Forget paper, you will need wood, the dryer the better.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end
"for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick... (The other Rick)" wrote in message

Have a look at http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/homenew.htm
I've got the Yorkshire multi fuel, with boiler.
Last winters gas bill was £16.

How much did you spend on wood?

Not knocking it, I want a wood burning stove, spouse objects for several
reasons. I want to knock down his arguments. So far I'm doing pretty well.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:41:44 +0100, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Rick... (The other Rick)" wrote in message
.. .

Have a look at http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/homenew.htm
I've got the Yorkshire multi fuel, with boiler.
Last winters gas bill was £16.

How much did you spend on wood?

Not knocking it, I want a wood burning stove, spouse objects for several
reasons. I want to knock down his arguments. So far I'm doing pretty well.

Mary

Nowt! I am lucky in that I have managed to source a supply of free wood. All that I can use Grin
The only downside is that not all of it is seasoned, and its softwood.

From what I have seen there are always sources of free wood around, from skips, to companies that
want to get rid of packaging. A friend of mine has found a company that deals in valves, BIG
valves, they always have packaging (3X3X various lengths) to get rid off.
Don't forget that if a company has wood to get rid of, it is considered to be commercial waste, and
they would have to pay for it to disposed of, so everybody wins.

It wasn't cheap to install, but we figured that it would take approx 5 years to pay for itself. Much
better than other methods of auxiliary heating. Also there is nothing like the smell of a real fire.
The only thing I could do without is the dust.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end
"for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Rick... (The other Rick)" wrote in message
. ..

Have a look at http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/homenew.htm
I've got the Yorkshire multi fuel, with boiler.
Last winters gas bill was £16.

How much did you spend on wood?

Not knocking it, I want a wood burning stove, spouse objects for several
reasons. I want to knock down his arguments. So far I'm doing pretty well.

Mary

Nowt! I am lucky in that I have managed to source a supply of free wood.
All that I can use Grin
The only downside is that not all of it is seasoned, and its softwood.

We're in the same position, he says that we haven't room to store it all but
I reckon I could easily make room by chucking out all his stored junk.

From what I have seen there are always sources of free wood around, from
skips, to companies that
want to get rid of packaging.

That's right. He works with wood and folk are always offering him it, we
havce to turn it away. When the tree surgeons come to the very large acers
opposite they would love us to have the branches - even offer to cut them
for us but of course he'd want to do it himself, fair enough.

A friend of mine has found a company that deals in valves, BIG
valves, they always have packaging (3X3X various lengths) to get rid off.
Don't forget that if a company has wood to get rid of, it is considered to
be commercial waste, and
they would have to pay for it to disposed of, so everybody wins.

Didn't think of that, yes, I'll keep that bit of ammo.

It wasn't cheap to install, but we figured that it would take approx 5
years to pay for itself. Much
better than other methods of auxiliary heating. Also there is nothing like
the smell of a real fire.
The only thing I could do without is the dust.

Oh, I've told him they don't make much :-( But anyway, it would hardly be
noticed here, with all the bone, horn, wood and straw dust he makes.

They are expensive but I reckon one would save money and pay for itself in
unused gas over a very few years. We've no idea of the true cost of gas
because we capped ours eight years ago and it will stay low until 2010 but
it will hit us hard when we have to pay full whack, I expect.

The place you mentioned isn't far from us either ...

Thanks,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Rick... (The other Rick)" wrote in message
. ..

Have a look at http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/homenew.htm
I've got the Yorkshire multi fuel, with boiler.
Last winters gas bill was £16.

How much did you spend on wood?

Not knocking it, I want a wood burning stove, spouse objects for several
reasons. I want to knock down his arguments. So far I'm doing pretty well.

Mary

Nowt! I am lucky in that I have managed to source a supply of free wood.
All that I can use Grin
The only downside is that not all of it is seasoned, and its softwood.

From what I have seen there are always sources of free wood around, from
skips, to companies that
want to get rid of packaging. A friend of mine has found a company that
deals in valves, BIG
valves, they always have packaging (3X3X various lengths) to get rid off.
Don't forget that if a company has wood to get rid of, it is considered to
be commercial waste, and
they would have to pay for it to disposed of, so everybody wins.

I hope he has a waste disposal operators license. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
dennis@home wrote:
Don't forget that if a company has wood to get rid of, it is considered
to be commercial waste, and
they would have to pay for it to disposed of, so everybody wins.

I hope he has a waste disposal operators license. 8-)

It's not waste, it's firewood.

No its waste, it would be fire wood if they make it and sell to him.
However as packaging waste they need to dispose of it in a licensed way.
Maybe they should add it to their catalogue of products?

AFAICS if they just let people take their waste they are committing an
offense as it has to be traceable these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
dennis@home wrote:
Don't forget that if a company has wood to get rid of, it is considered
to be commercial waste, and
they would have to pay for it to disposed of, so everybody wins.
I hope he has a waste disposal operators license. 8-)

It's not waste, it's firewood.

No its waste, it would be fire wood if they make it and sell to him.
However as packaging waste they need to dispose of it in a licensed way.
Maybe they should add it to their catalogue of products?

AFAICS if they just let people take their waste they are committing an
offense as it has to be traceable these days.

BTW if its contaminated with oil or paint or preservatives it may even be
toxic waste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
dennis@home wrote:
It's not waste, it's firewood.
No its waste, it would be fire wood if they make it and sell to him.
However as packaging waste they need to dispose of it in a licensed way.
Maybe they should add it to their catalogue of products?

And invoice him a tenner.

AFAICS if they just let people take their waste they are committing an
offense as it has to be traceable these days.

BTW if its contaminated with oil or paint or preservatives it may even be
toxic waste.

"Random Arrangement of Wood with Paint Splatter" - should be worth an Arts
Council grant.

It should be, but you will only get it by sleeping with the board, all of
them probably.

Smokeless Fuel elziko UK diy 5 October 21st 07 10:33 PM
Smokeless stove VisionSet UK diy 5 February 10th 07 12:18 PM
Triple zone boiler timer? Dave Fawthrop UK diy 12 January 4th 07 11:04 AM
Is Boiler Output Sufficient for Second Zone ? Vince Home Repair 7 October 8th 05 04:41 PM