Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Triple zone boiler timer?

Can anyone recommend a good triple zone boiler timer with the spec below,
to assist discussions with the Corgi plumbers?

I have had a Baxi 105 Instant boiler fitted, which works fine, but they
have left me with a dual Danfoss FP715Si which does not switch permanently
off, or have a once per day timer, and the Advance Programming Options 2or
3 on/off's per day does not work. .

My requirements a
The boiler being the Instant option keeps about 7 litres of water hot at
all times, and so uses some gas even when hot water is not being used and
needs to be off at night or when the house is empty, or with one two, or
more, on periods at other times.

The upstairs zone is not used in spring , summer and autumn, so needs to
be off completely at these times, or with one two, or more, on periods at
other times.

The downstairs zone needs to be off during the summer, or with one two,
or more, on periods at other times.

I require three independent controls for downstairs, upstairs, and water,
respectively, each with a minimum of two on periods daily, and
independently switchable off,. These functions must all be accessible
from the front panel, which is not possible with the present controller.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

[...]

I don't know of anything which meets your exact spec, but why not do the
following?

Have a simple single channel timer to turn the whole lot on and off - so
that you don't waste power at night. [You won't then get 'instant' hot water
in the middle of the night, of course]
The output from this timer would feed the HW zone directly, plus 2 manual
switches - one for each space heating zone. The outputs from the manual
switches would feed programmable room stats - one for each zone - giving
totally independent control over when the upstairs and downstairs zones come
on, but with the ability to switch them off altogether with the manual
switches.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:24:28 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

[...]

Agreed. The only 'improvement' I'd make is to use a normal 2 channel
timer, one channel for the HW as you describe and the second as a 'master'
CH timer whose output goes to the two (or more) programmable stats.

This is the approach I took for a very large house with four heating
zones and HW. The ability to switch all the heating off in one place is
more useful than you might at first think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:24:28 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Have a simple single channel timer to turn the whole lot on and off
- so that you don't waste power at night. [You won't then get
'instant' hot water in the middle of the night, of course]
The output from this timer would feed the HW zone directly, plus 2
manual switches - one for each space heating zone. The outputs from
the manual switches would feed programmable room stats - one for
each zone - giving totally independent control over when the
upstairs and downstairs zones come on, but with the ability to
switch them off altogether with the manual switches.

Agreed. The only 'improvement' I'd make is to use a normal 2 channel
timer, one channel for the HW as you describe and the second as a
'master' CH timer whose output goes to the two (or more) programmable
stats.

The reason I suggested this was that he seemed to want to operate the
downstairs zone but not the upstairs zone at certain times of the year.
Whilst he could do it by programming the upstairs stat to a low temperature,
a couple of manual switches seemed simpler to me - and could be located
right next to the main timer.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good triple zone boiler timer with the spec below,
to assist discussions with the Corgi plumbers?

I have had a Baxi 105 Instant boiler fitted, which works fine, but they
have left me with a dual Danfoss FP715Si which does not switch permanently
off, or have a once per day timer, and the Advance Programming Options 2or
3 on/off's per day does not work. .

Are you saying the installer hasn't met the agreed spec or that you have
changed your mind?

[...]

You don't say but I assume that the installer has provided an independent
valve for each zone. I would suggest that you think beyond independent time
control for each heating zone towards a programmable thermostat for each
zone controlled by the provided single heating time control. Either hard
wired or if that is impracticable then look for a wireless solution.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:36:19 GMT, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| Can anyone recommend a good triple zone boiler timer with the spec below,
| to assist discussions with the Corgi plumbers?
|
| I have had a Baxi 105 Instant boiler fitted, which works fine, but they
| have left me with a dual Danfoss FP715Si which does not switch permanently
| off, or have a once per day timer, and the Advance Programming Options 2or
| 3 on/off's per day does not work. .
|
|Are you saying the installer hasn't met the agreed spec or that you have
|changed your mind?

I specified everything else but not the controls :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Is the ChannelPlusXL any use?
http://www.horstmann.co.uk/central-h...sp#ChannelPlus

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:35:13 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| Can anyone recommend a good triple zone boiler timer with the spec below,
| to assist discussions with the Corgi plumbers?
|
| I have had a Baxi 105 Instant boiler fitted, which works fine, but they
| have left me with a dual Danfoss FP715Si which does not switch permanently
| off, or have a once per day timer, and the Advance Programming Options 2or
| 3 on/off's per day does not work. .
|
| My requirements a
| The boiler being the Instant option keeps about 7 litres of water hot at
| all times, and so uses some gas even when hot water is not being used
| and
| needs to be off at night or when the house is empty, or with one two, or
| more, on periods at other times.
|
| The upstairs zone is not used in spring , summer and autumn, so needs to
| be off completely at these times, or with one two, or more, on periods
| at
| other times.
|
| The downstairs zone needs to be off during the summer, or with one two,
| or more, on periods at other times.
|
| I require three independent controls for downstairs, upstairs, and water,
| respectively, each with a minimum of two on periods daily, and
| independently switchable off,. These functions must all be accessible
| from the front panel, which is not possible with the present controller.
|
|Is the ChannelPlusXL any use?
|http://www.horstmann.co.uk/central-h...sp#ChannelPlus

Not quite, but a lot better than the one I have got. Bookmarked :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
|Is the ChannelPlusXL any use?
|http://www.horstmann.co.uk/central-h...sp#ChannelPlus

Not quite, but a lot better than the one I have got. Bookmarked :-)

Which bit is missing? I have had a very bad day so give me a clue and I will
look again.
One other thing is that you could just turn the thermostats on the heating
zones down to frost settings when they are not needed.
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:15:05 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:35:13 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
| wrote:
| |Is the ChannelPlusXL any use?
| |http://www.horstmann.co.uk/central-h...sp#ChannelPlus
|
| Not quite, but a lot better than the one I have got. Bookmarked :-)
|
|Which bit is missing? I have had a very bad day so give me a clue and I will
|look again.
|One other thing is that you could just turn the thermostats on the heating
|zones down to frost settings when they are not needed.

I do not like using hardware for things which they are not intended.
Programming should IMO cover everything necessary.

These things only do half the job, I would have hoped that all eight would
have been combined into one, but that is the programmer in me speaking :-(
The ChannelPlus H37XL, or ChannelPlus H37VXL will do, except that I really
only need one on for all seven days, with everything else as an option, but
that may be too costly :-(.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:35:13 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
| wrote:
| |Is the ChannelPlusXL any use?
| |http://www.horstmann.co.uk/central-h...sp#ChannelPlus
|
| Not quite, but a lot better than the one I have got. Bookmarked :-)
|
|Which bit is missing? I have had a very bad day so give me a clue and I
will
|look again.
|One other thing is that you could just turn the thermostats on the
heating
|zones down to frost settings when they are not needed.

I do not like using hardware for things which they are not intended.
Programming should IMO cover everything necessary.

These things only do half the job, I would have hoped that all eight would
have been combined into one, but that is the programmer in me speaking :-(
The ChannelPlus H37XL, or ChannelPlus H37VXL will do, except that I
really
only need one on for all seven days, with everything else as an option,
but
that may be too costly :-(.

I still think it does what you want

Still, at least you were not woken up at 3.30am on the first day back at
work by your apprentice using his free call to tell you he has been arrested
for assault and then at 7.00am when you did get up (again) for work finding
out that you have a flat tyre.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...

[...]

You beat me to it Adam, good bit of kit Channel Plus.

--
Steve Dawson

Boiler/Timer Woes Tobin Harris UK diy 3 October 17th 19 01:44 PM
Adding a timer to a boiler [email protected] UK diy 3 October 2nd 06 06:17 PM
Is Boiler Output Sufficient for Second Zone ? Vince Home Repair 7 October 8th 05 04:41 PM
thermostat compatibility for 2 zone hot water heating w/o zone valves Glacier Home Ownership 1 September 26th 03 02:01 AM