Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cast iron mantel installation

Hello...

I've just acquired a nice cast iron fireplace insert (1890ish) with a
matching (but separate) cast iron surround/mantelpiece.

I'm not a complete beginner to fitting fireplaces -- I've successfully
installed a cast iron insert before and built a timber surround for it
-- but this is the first time I've tried to fit a metal surround.

My problem is that I can't see any obvious way of fixing the surround
to the brickwork. There are no lugs or mirror plates to screw to the
wall, and there's no kind of flange that could be plastered over --
just two metal loops at the back.

There's nothing missing, as far as I can tell -- the surround doesn't
look as though it's lost any parts.

I suppose you could thread a piece of wire through the loops and
attach it to another loop set in the brickwork -- but I can't see that
that would be enough to hold the whole thing up and keep it stable. Am
I wrong?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

There's also no way of joining the insert to the surround. Would it be
sensible to put fire cement where they meet to seal the gap?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Hello...

I've just acquired a nice cast iron fireplace insert (1890ish) with a
matching (but separate) cast iron surround/mantelpiece.

Pics would be nice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

How about the equivalent of mirror plates? Our fireplaces are fastened like
that to the wall.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Sep, 20:02, "George" wrote:

I've just acquired a nice cast iron fireplace insert (1890ish) with a
matching (but separate) cast iron surround/mantelpiece.

Pics would be nice?

Here you go:

1. This is the insert. The slate mantelpiece, wooden supports and the
big sheet of rusty metal in the fireplace are leftovers from the wood
burner we've just removed. They're all going. The insert is narrower
than the opening, so I'll be putting a row of bricks up each side to
reduce the size, with a new lintel at the top.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=111qnuc&s=4

2. This is the surround:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28r3a4p&s=4

3. Three views behind the surround, showing you one of the two loops
at the back:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vhvng7&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=a1r95d&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11ru5py&s=4

Hope those are helpful. This can't be an impossible job -- clearly
some Victorian builder managed to fix it to the wall wherever it was
before...

Thanks again,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Sep, 20:05, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

How about the equivalent of mirror plates? Our fireplaces are fastened like
that to the wall.

I'd had similar thoughts -- but how would you attach the mirror plates
to the surround if they're not part of the cast iron?

Thanks,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 27 Sep, 20:05, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

How about the equivalent of mirror plates? Our fireplaces are fastened
like
that to the wall.

I'd had similar thoughts -- but how would you attach the mirror plates
to the surround if they're not part of the cast iron?

Drill (carefully) and screw?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

I suspect the loops where for cast iron bolts driven into the brickwork and
the bottom edges of the mantle feet were set into the earth(sandstone)?

regards to the feet you could cut out a channel in the stonework base then
sand&cement around the feet to seal them into the stonework base which will
stop it moving

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
wrote in message
On 27 Sep, 20:05, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

How about the equivalent of mirror plates? Our fireplaces are fastened
like
that to the wall.

I'd had similar thoughts -- but how would you attach the mirror plates
to the surround if they're not part of the cast iron?

Thanks,

James

--

I suspect the loops where for cast iron bolts driven into the brickwork and
the bottom edges of the mantle feet were set into the earth(sandstone)?

Tis what I thought, but it seems odd to have the loop running vertically
and not horizontally. The latter would let you lower it onto a sturdy
hook...

Perhaps two large hooks facing left or right would do. Position slightly
offset and slide the mantle to the side such that it engages with the
hooks. Fix the base as George described.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Sep, 23:14, John Rumm wrote:

Perhaps two large hooks facing left or right would do. Position slightly
offset and slide the mantle to the side such that it engages with the
hooks. Fix the base as George described.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I've had a brainwave: lay bricks up the side of the opening as
planned, but at the height of the metal loops I can use a half brick,
set back from the front of the opening. Then I can fix a hook into
that brick -- and then reach through the middle of the insert to join
the surround to the hook with a length of wire or similar.

Actually, the ideal option would be something like a cable tie made of
metal -- do such things exist?

And George's suggestion for fixing the base seems like a good one.
Thanks.

I'm going to rip off the old surround this morning and have a play.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

It would have been fitted by pieces of steel rod of say 3/16th of and inch
in diameter and 12" long . The ends of which would have been bent to hook
into the loops on the back of the suround. The rest of these rods would have
been built into the brick work.

mark

cast iron [email protected] Metalworking 19 February 29th 08 01:25 AM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 11:52 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
cast iron; Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 3 September 19th 04 05:12 AM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM