Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What does the cross section of a chimney/flue look like in a 2 storeyhouse?

Hi all, I'm trying to thread some house pipe down from the loft to the
living room in my old (roughly 1890's) house (Improptu conduit to
allow me to feed network cable into the living room).

There are no fireplaces in the house and the chimneys on the roof have
been capped so I don't have any worries about a future owner
mistakenly trying to light a fire (I hope at least).

Anyway, I've drilled a hole and keep trying to thread the hose pipe
down, but I think I keep hitting the 1st floor bedroom (have dropped
some steel bearings down and heard the thud but not seen them in the
living room too).

So, I'm wondering, how does a chimney work in a two storey house that
had two fireplaces (living room and master bedroom). Does the chimney
split sideways (one side for one room the other side for the other
room), or, is it a back and front configuration, or, is it just on big
flue?

I've drilled my hole towards the left side of the stack in the loft
and I don't want to go drilling extra holes willy nilly but am
wondering if I move it far to the right if I would be more likely to
make it to the living room.

Hope someone can understand what I'm asking (I think I've phrased it
all in a round about manner) and hopefully I'm not asking a really
silly question.

Thanks for any answers.

Seri
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:26:32 -0700, Seri wrote:

[...]

A general idea he

http://tinyurl.com/4f9337

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 7:26 pm, Seri wrote:
There are no fireplaces in the house and the chimneys on the roof have
been capped so I don't have any worries about a future owner
mistakenly trying to light a fire (I hope at least).

Speaking as someone who had the fireplace opened up, I'd not be sure
about that. Admittedly the chimeny wasn't properly capped - but it
wouldn't have cost /much/ more to have a new pot put in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 7:13*pm, Cicero wrote:
[...]

Thanks Cic, that was pretty much what I was after but had been unable
to find on google... looks like if I want to get to the downstairs
opening then I'll have to some how go "through" the upstairs chimney
first... it's all sounding like far more work that I expected... time
to sleep on it I think.

Thanks again

Seri
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seri wrote:

So, I'm wondering, how does a chimney work in a two storey house that
had two fireplaces (living room and master bedroom). Does the chimney
split sideways (one side for one room the other side for the other
room), or, is it a back and front configuration, or, is it just on big
flue?

In addition to the other replies - IMHO it's quite common for the
internal walls within old disused chimneys to have collapsed, at least
partially (certainly has been the case with two old houses I've lived
in) so there may not be a path through as such.

Spurious horizontal sections of chimney are also pretty common - so all
in all this task may not be as straightforward as you imagine!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Sep, 22:59, Seri wrote:

Thanks Cic, that was pretty much what I was after but had been unable
to find on google... looks like if I want to get to the downstairs
opening then I'll have to some how go "through" the upstairs chimney
first... it's all sounding like far more work that I expected... time
to sleep on it I think.

Thanks again

Seri

Hi Seri,

Have you got a downstairs loo? When I was doing the same thing in a
house of similar age I ran the cable (in fact a great loom of cables)
down through some boxing which accomodated the soil stack from the
downstairs loo through to the upstairs bathroom and out through the
roof. From there I could easily get it through to the cellar and
underneath the floors.

That was about five years ago. I made sure I put co-ax and cat 5 in
every possible corner and alcove. It's proved really useful ever
since.

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:59:50 -0700, Seri wrote:

On Sep 27, 7:13*pm, Cicero wrote:
[...]

I think you would have to drill from the underside of the sloping part of
the brickwork (in the loft) to get direct access to the ground floor
chimney. I had no greater success than you when I wanted to do something
similar. Some years ago I made a brief attempt to get an aerial down the
chimney pot (actually an aerial fitter tried) but failed, possibly because
of some obstruction as suggested by another poster. I know that my
chimneys have *free air access* because of the draught but it seems that a
dislodged brick or mortar prevents anything solid being lowered.
Eventually, the aerial was routed down the outside as god intended.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Fan Flue Gas Fires - Can it go in a chimney ? PhilJ UK diy 1 September 10th 06 09:41 PM
Chimney flue heights user Home Repair 3 November 4th 05 09:42 PM
Cross section of cable. soup UK diy 14 September 28th 05 08:24 AM
Soil pipe of elliptical or rectangular cross section. To fit within stud 70mm wall spacing. Does such a product exist? Peter UK diy 6 January 26th 05 11:02 PM
Making a table from a cross section, how can I stop it splitting? [email protected] Woodworking 4 January 22nd 05 12:57 AM