Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning car alloy wheels

The alloy wheels on my car are very dirty and ordinary washing will
not shift the stains.

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Cillit Bang, but wash it off quickly and thoroughly. You can buy
expensive compounds such as "Wonder Wheels" to do the job, but
chemically it's very similar to Cillit Bang, a mixture of sulphamic
acid, a detergent and a lot of water. And acid cleaner is needed to get
the baked-on brake dust off the wheels. Once you have them clean, don't
use it again, regularly clean the wheels to keep them in good condition.

Over use of an acid cleaner will damage alloys.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
chudford wrote:
The alloy wheels on my car are very dirty and ordinary washing will
not shift the stains.

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Wonder Wheels.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
chudford wrote:
The alloy wheels on my car are very dirty and ordinary washing will
not shift the stains.

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Wonder Wheels.

I polish mine with car polish as most of them are actually painted
rather than just polished alloy and it seems to stop them getting dirty
in the first place

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
chudford wrote:
The alloy wheels on my car are very dirty and ordinary washing will
not shift the stains.

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Wonder Wheels.

I polish mine with car polish as most of them are actually painted
rather than just polished alloy and it seems to stop them getting dirty
in the first place

Polish certainly can help once they are clean. The problem seems to be hot
dust from the brake pads eats into the paint - some cars being worse than
others.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

HTS-528 Brazing Alloy [email protected] Metalworking 1 May 16th 06 01:44 AM
Pressure Washer for Alloy wheels JBK UK diy 3 September 10th 05 11:08 PM
aluminum alloy; Tim Killian Metalworking 3 January 23rd 05 11:06 PM
Alloy Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 10 September 17th 04 12:33 AM
Ladder standoff, wheels or no wheels? Josey UK diy 10 September 2nd 04 11:05 AM