DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cleaning car alloy wheels (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/261318-cleaning-car-alloy-wheels.html)

chudford September 26th 08 04:43 PM

Cleaning car alloy wheels

The alloy wheels on my car are very dirty and ordinary washing will
not shift the stains.

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Thanks

Steve Firth September 26th 08 05:07 PM

Cleaning car alloy wheels

chudford wrote:

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Cillit Bang, but wash it off quickly and thoroughly. You can buy
expensive compounds such as "Wonder Wheels" to do the job, but
chemically it's very similar to Cillit Bang, a mixture of sulphamic
acid, a detergent and a lot of water. And acid cleaner is needed to get
the baked-on brake dust off the wheels. Once you have them clean, don't
use it again, regularly clean the wheels to keep them in good condition.

Over use of an acid cleaner will damage alloys.

Dave Plowman (News) September 26th 08 05:13 PM

Cleaning car alloy wheels

In article
,
chudford wrote:
The alloy wheels on my car are very dirty and ordinary washing will
not shift the stains.

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Wonder Wheels.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Kevin September 26th 08 05:57 PM

Cleaning car alloy wheels

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
chudford wrote:
The alloy wheels on my car are very dirty and ordinary washing will
not shift the stains.

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Wonder Wheels.

I polish mine with car polish as most of them are actually painted
rather than just polished alloy and it seems to stop them getting dirty
in the first place

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Dave Plowman (News) September 27th 08 12:07 AM

Cleaning car alloy wheels

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
chudford wrote:
The alloy wheels on my car are very dirty and ordinary washing will
not shift the stains.

What is the best way to clean them without damaging the alloys or the
tyres?

Wonder Wheels.

I polish mine with car polish as most of them are actually painted
rather than just polished alloy and it seems to stop them getting dirty
in the first place

Polish certainly can help once they are clean. The problem seems to be hot
dust from the brake pads eats into the paint - some cars being worse than
others.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.