Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Pointing over the damp course

I noticed today that some of the pointing at the damp course level on
the front of my place has dropped off. Obviously a little job to do
but it occurs to me that pointing with the wrong thing could bridge
the damp course so, presumably, I should use something other than
normal mortar. Does anyone have any tips here...or should it even be
pointed in the first place?

Cheers
GMM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
I noticed today that some of the pointing at the damp course level on
the front of my place has dropped off. Obviously a little job to do
but it occurs to me that pointing with the wrong thing could bridge
the damp course so, presumably, I should use something other than
normal mortar. Does anyone have any tips here...or should it even be
pointed in the first place?

Cheers
GMM

You're overthinking what a DPC actually does....it stops moisture travelling
up through the brickwork - fullstop.

a few MM of mortar isn't going to make one iota of difference to it's
functionality, and even if it did, it would only be on the exterior brick
which gets drenched on a regular basis anyway...just point over it.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
GMM wrote:
I noticed today that some of the pointing at the damp course level on
the front of my place has dropped off. Obviously a little job to do
but it occurs to me that pointing with the wrong thing could bridge
the damp course so, presumably, I should use something other than
normal mortar. Does anyone have any tips here...or should it even be
pointed in the first place?

Cheers
GMM

You're overthinking what a DPC actually does....it stops moisture travelling
up through the brickwork - fullstop.

a few MM of mortar isn't going to make one iota of difference to it's
functionality, and even if it did, it would only be on the exterior brick
which gets drenched on a regular basis anyway...just point over it.

use a strong mix with a bit of PVA if it worries you. That's almost
waterproof itself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 26, 2:35*pm, GMM wrote:
I noticed today that some of the pointing at the damp course level on
the front of my place has dropped off. *Obviously a little job to do
but it occurs to me that pointing with the wrong thing could bridge
the damp course so, presumably, I should use something other than
normal mortar. *Does anyone have any tips here...or should it even be
pointed in the first place?

Cheers
GMM

Just point upto it instead of over it, if you see what I mean.
Ordinary mortar's fine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Phil L wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

Not a good idea if the bricks are particularly soft though, you might
end up with spalled brick faces after a few frosts.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Sep, 14:35, GMM wrote:
I noticed today that some of the pointing at the damp course level on
the front of my place has dropped off. *Obviously a little job to do
but it occurs to me that pointing with the wrong thing could bridge
the damp course so, presumably, I should use something other than
normal mortar. *Does anyone have any tips here...or should it even be
pointed in the first place?

Cheers
GMM

Dar GMM
What is the logic in bridging something you want to stop damp rising?
OK - others have posted the observation that it is unlikely to cause
bridging in practice (and that is largely correct) but the principle
of offering an alternative route to dampness even in small quantities
(and that is arguable with some mortars) is not sensible
Point it in above and below and leave it pround and functionally
visible!
Make sure you point in with a weaker mortar than th brick and if it
was originally lime use lime putty (not bagged) in about 3:1
Forget using any strong cement mortar (the ubiquitous sand cement at
3:1 grey and horrible normally weatherstruck!
All depends on aesthetics and age....
Chris

Pointing mix? Alistair Ross UK diy 5 August 17th 08 08:17 AM
Damp problem... DIY chemical damp-proof kit? Mike D UK diy 13 June 19th 07 02:59 PM
Damp, guttering, pointing and neighbours. Andrew Collins UK diy 20 November 6th 06 12:15 PM
Damp treatment for *severe* penetrating damp [email protected] UK diy 17 April 6th 06 12:28 PM
pointing j.brown UK diy 3 November 20th 04 04:07 PM