Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default diamond discs

Hello,

I know the faq says that diamond discs last longer than stone or metal
cutting discs, but how much longer? I know when to change the stone or
metal discs because they are worn down in size. But how do I know when
to change a diamond disc? I was trying to chase some concrete today
and it just would not cut. Does this mean it's time for a new disc or
does it just mean it's particularly hard concrete

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I know the faq says that diamond discs last longer than stone or metal
cutting discs, but how much longer? I know when to change the stone or
metal discs because they are worn down in size. But how do I know when
to change a diamond disc? I was trying to chase some concrete today
and it just would not cut. Does this mean it's time for a new disc or
does it just mean it's particularly hard concrete

Thanks,
Stephen.

On a new diamond blade you can see the diamonds zone. It is something like
10mm deep on a 9" disc.
They 'wear out' when this section has gone.

A diamond disc will cut granite, concrete lintels, cast iron etc., so it is
unlikely your concrete is too hard for it.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 4:06*pm, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

I know the faq says that diamond discs last longer than stone or metal
cutting discs, but how much longer?

many many many times. 10s of times.

I know when to change the stone or
metal discs because they are worn down in size. But how do I know when
to change a diamond disc?

It just stops cutting. Due to the grooves, a dead disc will still cut
very soft materials, though not well, but it just doesnt make much
progress in most masonry.

I was trying to chase some concrete today
and it just would not cut. Does this mean it's time for a new disc or
does it just mean it's particularly hard concrete

Thanks,
Stephen.

Even the hardest concrete is lunch to a diamond disc. Trying a new
disc will quickly answer it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sep 25, 4:06 pm, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

I know the faq says that diamond discs last longer than stone or metal
cutting discs, but how much longer?

many many many times. 10s of times.

I know when to change the stone or
metal discs because they are worn down in size. But how do I know when
to change a diamond disc?

It just stops cutting. Due to the grooves, a dead disc will still cut
very soft materials, though not well, but it just doesnt make much
progress in most masonry.

I was trying to chase some concrete today
and it just would not cut. Does this mean it's time for a new disc or
does it just mean it's particularly hard concrete

Thanks,
Stephen.

Even the hardest concrete is lunch to a diamond disc. Trying a new
disc will quickly answer it.

With diamond disks costing a quid a time you need to get every last bit out
of them. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I know the faq says that diamond discs last longer than stone or metal
cutting discs, but how much longer? I know when to change the stone or
metal discs because they are worn down in size. But how do I know when
to change a diamond disc? I was trying to chase some concrete today
and it just would not cut. Does this mean it's time for a new disc or
does it just mean it's particularly hard concrete

Well a typical angle grinder disc lasts about 5 seconds on hard stone or
concrete, and a couple of years if its diamond.

They just wear down and stop cutting..
Thanks,
Stephen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 25 Sep, 16:06, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

I know the faq says that diamond discs last longer than stone or metal
cutting discs, but how much longer? I know when to change the stone or
metal discs because they are worn down in size. But how do I know when
to change a diamond disc? I was trying to chase some concrete today
and it just would not cut. Does this mean it's time for a new disc or
does it just mean it's particularly hard concrete

Thanks,
Stephen.

You will see the cutting area around the edge of the disc.

The diamond edge can glaze over if some material are cut, and this
will make it seem like it is blunt. If this has happened you need to
cut a softer material to remove the glaze

dg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 7:43*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Sep 25, 4:06 pm, Stephen
wrote:
[...]

Where have you seen them that cheap? Can't be more than 5 minutes of
diamond dust on em

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Where have you seen them that cheap? Can't be more than 5 minutes of
diamond dust on em

I bought a pack of four for £4 in aldi on Tuesday.
I have no idea if they are any good but they were the only place with 115 mm
disks and I only have a small angle grinder.
They were cutting concrete wall blocks as well as the abrasive disks I had
before.
I figure that they cost less than one bosh abrasive disk from b&q so if they
last as long its ok.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 07:39:10 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

wrote in message

Where have you seen them that cheap? Can't be more than 5 minutes of
diamond dust on em

I bought a pack of four for £4 in aldi on Tuesday.
I have no idea if they are any good but they were the only place with 115 mm
disks and I only have a small angle grinder.
They were cutting concrete wall blocks as well as the abrasive disks I had
before.
I figure that they cost less than one bosh abrasive disk from b&q so if they
last as long its ok.

I have an ALDI sub£20 angle grinder,(big one), and a pack of diamond
disks for it bought last year.

It has become community property as far as neighbours are concerned
and spent the summer going from job to job up and down the road. We
are still using the first disk in it and it is in use at this very
moment cutting concrete posts and gravel boards,(lengthwise), a few
doors down.

I was astounded at how this £2 blade has lasted and appears to be
lasting. It seems to have suffered little wear so far and goes the
length of a six foot gravel board like through butter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:38:45 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

On a new diamond blade you can see the diamonds zone. It is something like
10mm deep on a 9" disc.
They 'wear out' when this section has gone.

Hello again,

Sorry to reply to the post so late. The disc that I was concerned
about was Toolstation code 83764. I think someone recommended
something like code 21172, which has "slots" in the disc. I originally
chose the continuous-edge disc rather than a slotted one because the
blurb said it gave a smoother cut. Is a slotted disc better or doesn't
it make any difference?

The photo of 83764 shows the diamond edge as a thick silver stripe
around the circumference. I bought a new one and found that mine had
worn to a quarter of its thickness: there was probably only four or
five millimetres left. Would you change it at that point or would you
continue to use it until its all gone?

I figured since I had a new shiny disc, I would use that instead. I
had tried two angle grinders (Bosch blue 4 and 9 inch) using their
respective versions of the same blade and both are struggling to cut
this concrete. In fact the 4 inch almost stalled at one point. The
discs have got hot and there are black patches on one or two points
where the disc has overheated. Does this mean the discs are fried?

I need to channel for some 15mm pipes to the radiator. I tried my Aldi
all chaser and that can't cope either. It's a concrete floor in a
1970's house. What's going wrong?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any ideas re. continuous versus slotted discs anyone?

Just to say that I have managed to cut the concrete now; it just took
some perseverance

sanding discs Dwayne & Angela UK diy 3 October 14th 07 11:24 PM
Sanding discs robo hippy Woodturning 0 October 11th 06 04:55 PM
sanding discs vs flapper discs and which brand ?? Mike Fields Metalworking 7 July 10th 05 07:04 PM
Diamond cutting discs Capitol UK diy 8 January 24th 05 05:54 PM
Grinding Discs N. Thornton UK diy 6 March 13th 04 10:18 PM