Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

Default what happened to Oxyclean?

I haven't seen Oxyclean on supermarket shelves for a year or so.
What happened?

I've looked up a material safety data sheet on the web, which
states the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. I don't
believe the stuff I used to buy (thick pink liquid in a spray
bottle) had that composition - there was no chlorine smell on
reacting with cat pee, it behaved like a peroxide solution.

I am wondering if (a) there was more than one formulation sold
under that brand name, (b) one of them was mainly peroxide or
a related oxidizing agent, (c) it's been quietly pulled off the
shelves as a result of the "terrorist liquid bomb" bull****.

Or is it still available somewhere? The only supermarkets
I ever go into are Somerfield and Lidl.

Finally, any suggestions as to where I can get peroxide for
neutralizing cat pee? I know how to produce it from basic
materials but that's getting a bit messy.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

Finally, any suggestions as to where I can get peroxide for
neutralizing cat pee? I know how to produce it from basic
materials but that's getting a bit messy.

You can still get a weak-ish hydrogen peroxide from chemists. Not expensive.

Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote:

Finally, any suggestions as to where I can get peroxide for
neutralizing cat pee? I know how to produce it from basic
materials but that's getting a bit messy.

You can still get a weak-ish hydrogen peroxide from chemists. Not expensive.

It got even weaker just after the arrest of the terrorist plotters,
some of whom were convicted last week.

Most pharmacies used to sell 5% or 6%, but it was reduced to 3%. Now
it's back up there again.

Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

(c) it's been quietly pulled off the
shelves as a result of the "terrorist liquid bomb" bull****.

Gives a whole new meaning to "Cillit Bang"
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
[...]

Last time I bought some H peroxide it was for medical purposes. And I
bought it at a pharmacy. (Possibly even one of the ones mentioned as
having been used by the bomb makers.) It was a couple of years ago, and
things might have changed.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I haven't seen Oxyclean on supermarket shelves for a year or so.
What happened?

Waitrose have it.
Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 9:58*pm, Graeme Wood wrote:
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I haven't seen Oxyclean on supermarket shelves for a year or so.
What happened?

Waitrose have it.

That makes sense. Waitrose don't let riff-raff like terrorists shop
there - they have to go to Morrisons. Or Tesco.
Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I haven't seen Oxyclean on supermarket shelves for a year or so.
What happened?

I've looked up a material safety data sheet on the web, which
states the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. I don't
believe the stuff I used to buy (thick pink liquid in a spray
bottle) had that composition - there was no chlorine smell on
reacting with cat pee, it behaved like a peroxide solution.

Are you sure it wasn't sodium perborate? Lots of stain removers based on
this.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I haven't seen Oxyclean on supermarket shelves for a year or so.
What happened?

It got oxycuted.

Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:25:01 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Or is it still available somewhere? The only supermarkets
I ever go into are Somerfield and Lidl.

What about LiDL's (and others') oxy-action laundry cleaners? LiDL's W5
brand says
" 30% oxygen-based bleaching agent, 5% non-ionic surfactants, anionic
surfactants, enzymes (protease)"

--
John Stumbles

Bob the builder / it'll cost 'yer
Bob the builder / loadsa dosh

Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:25:01 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Or is it still available somewhere? The only supermarkets
I ever go into are Somerfield and Lidl.

What about LiDL's (and others') oxy-action laundry cleaners? LiDL's W5
brand says
" 30% oxygen-based bleaching agent, 5% non-ionic surfactants, anionic
surfactants, enzymes (protease)"

Laundry bleach is usually sodium percarbonate, which fizzes like
peroxide, but comes as a powder
Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I haven't seen Oxyclean on supermarket shelves for a year or so.
What happened?

STOP PRESS:
Morrisons - £2-98 a pot with 50% extra free!

(Partner wouldn't take photograph for proof. :-( )

--
Rod

onset.

What Happened? GROVER Woodworking 10 March 16th 08 04:00 PM
What ever happened to Curly Home Repair 0 April 30th 07 12:21 AM
What Happened?????? SHOOTER1 Woodturning 7 April 16th 07 02:07 PM
Wonder how *that* happened... jim rozen Metalworking 3 September 19th 05 01:44 AM
What happened to IMM? Phil Kyle UK diy 0 February 5th 05 02:24 AM