Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Treating 4 woodworm b4 sealing ceiling?

Treating 4 woodworm b4 sealing ceiling?

Before i screw plasterboard to the kitchen ceiling
i want to treat the rafters/joists for woodworm etc
as there has been dampness over the decades -
should i spray it or paint it on,
what chemicals should i buy?
Wherefrom?
How?
I have the whole house to do, but room by room as I'm living in it.

How dangerous is it?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 2:15*pm, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
Treating 4 woodworm b4 sealing ceiling?

Before i screw plasterboard to the kitchen ceiling
i want to treat the rafters/joists for woodworm etc
as there has been dampness over the decades -
should i spray it or paint it on,
what chemicals should i buy?
Wherefrom?
How?
I have the whole house to do, but room by room as I'm living in it.

Do you really have woodworm in all the woodwork in the whole house?
The house must be quite a state.

How dangerous is it?

Its insecticide, and its not normally used in such high dosage as the
entire house. Google organophosphate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 14:15, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
Treating 4 woodworm b4 sealing ceiling?

Before i screw plasterboard to the kitchen ceiling
i want to treat the rafters/joists for woodworm etc

Dear George
Why? If you were a professional rather than an amateur you would be
obliged to do a COSHH Assessment and absent any evidence of activity
it is difficult to justify treatment and treatment has to be done with
the least "strong" pesticide that will do the job - generally the one
with highest LD 50

as there has been dampness over the decades -

so? that may preclude for decay but if it is decades then it will have
decayed! and what is dampness? for decay you are in need of 20%

should i spray it or paint it on,

IF you need to use an insecticide you can apply it by the easiest
method to suit to cover the area concerned

what chemicals should i buy?

That depends on what you need to treat it for, the area concerned, the
LD50 , the etimylogical data, the nature of the occupants with respect
to allergy and sensitivity (babies etc) and a 101 other things the
most important question being do I need to treat at all?
Wherefrom?

see above

How?

If you do not have the skill to answer this you do not have the skill
to do an assessment and should not really be trying to treat at all
until you have read up about it

I have the whole house to do, but room by room as I'm living in it.

Why? what evidence is there?
Where are the four woodworm holes?
How do you know it is wood worm not pin hole shot hole powder posts
bark borer or any one of many other wood boring insects that may not
need treating or indeed CFB that is dead - as most is in older
buildings

How dangerous is it?

What the wood worm or the chemical? If the chemical - none is
categorised as toxic and there are no deaths recorded in recent
decades by its use
Most of the really hazardous chemical ingredients such as PCP TBTO etc
have been withdrawn from use

Why do you not simply monitor it by covering with tissue paper and
seeing if any holes appear by next September?
Chris G

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

most rooms have somewhere which was damp sometime
and got woodworm...
much of the lathe and plaster wood is peppered with holes,
I'm ripping that out.

I've been buying Cuprinol 5star and slapping it on with a brush,

wrote

Woodworm MG[_3_] UK diy 2 April 7th 08 06:03 PM
Woodworm down there ! Mike P UK diy 11 October 24th 07 09:11 PM
Woodworm Magpie UK diy 7 November 15th 06 01:20 PM
Help on Woodworm belto Home Repair 0 July 25th 06 11:31 AM
Sealing Ceiling Boxes [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 23rd 05 06:33 PM