Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying Band saw- advice needed- mild steel cutting

Hi
I am looking to buy a Band saw or scroll saw to use cutting aluminium
and mild steel, sheet and tube.

Silverline do a 350 W band saw with a 14 tpi blade for £85 but I cant
find any information about cutting metal. I don’t want to spend money
on something that will have blunt blades in 5 minute’s.

I want to replace hack sawing, drill and filling curves in steel sheet
that is to thick to cut with tin snips.

Any advice welcome

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BusaC" wrote in message
Hi
I am looking to buy a Band saw or scroll saw to use cutting aluminium
and mild steel, sheet and tube.

Silverline do a 350 W band saw with a 14 tpi blade for £85 but I cant
find any information about cutting metal. I don’t want to spend money
on something that will have blunt blades in 5 minute’s.

I want to replace hack sawing, drill and filling curves in steel sheet
that is to thick to cut with tin snips.

Any advice welcome

Chris

I used a bandsaw a lot when I was a toolmaker. The key is to use enough
pressure to make the blade actually CUT and not merely RUB. Curves are a bit
limited by the blade depth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 3:44*pm, "John" wrote:
"BusaC" wrote in message

Hi
I am looking to buy a Band saw or scroll saw to use cutting aluminium
and mild steel, sheet and tube.

Any advice welcome

Chris

Try posting this to rec.model engineering.
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BusaC wrote:
Hi
I am looking to buy a Band saw or scroll saw to use cutting aluminium
and mild steel, sheet and tube.

Silverline do a 350 W band saw with a 14 tpi blade for £85 but I cant
find any information about cutting metal. I don’t want to spend money
on something that will have blunt blades in 5 minute’s.

I want to replace hack sawing, drill and filling curves in steel sheet
that is to thick to cut with tin snips.

Any advice welcome

Have you considered a really good jigsaw like the Makita 4350? Quoted as
having 10mm capacity in steel if thats enough? You would be looking at £120
ish mind, but its much more versatile.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:05:27 -0700 (PDT), BusaC wrote:
Hi
I am looking to buy a Band saw or scroll saw to use cutting aluminium
and mild steel, sheet and tube.

Silverline do a 350 W band saw with a 14 tpi blade for ?85 but I cant
find any information about cutting metal. I don?t want to spend money
on something that will have blunt blades in 5 minute?s.

I want to replace hack sawing, drill and filling curves in steel sheet
that is to thick to cut with tin snips.

Any advice welcome

Chris

I've not done this seriously, myself (just the occasional bit of metal
cutting). One thing I would say is that cheap bandsaws come with cheap
blades. You'll do yourself a great favour chucking the blade it comes
with and forking out for a proper one for metalwork.
Bandsaw blades come in many different lengths, to fit the huge number
of different makes. There may be some milage in reversing the problem.
Find a supplier of reasonable price/quality blades, then look for a
bandsaw that takes those length blades.

--
.. Pete Lynch I have learned from my mistakes and
.. Marlow ... I am sure I can repeat them exactly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Lynch
writes
[...]

Er.... commercial hat on..... I have a Startrite 14RWF needing tlc in
respect of the table mounts. Spares come to more than I paid for the
machine and my original intention was to fabricate one out of mild
steel. However, a working order Wadkin Bursgreen came my way so the
metal cutting Startrite is taking up space.

Probably too large for the OP but might suit others. Blade
welding/annealing built in and lots of speed choices......

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]