Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default balanced flues

Hello,

I was looking at Grant boilers and see that they can have either
conventional flues or balanced flues. They do chimney lining kits but
the balanced option is £600+ whereas the conventional flue version is
£200+; that's a big difference. Is there any advantage to paying the
extra for a balanced flue or would you go conventional?

I had a couple of quotes and the plumbers seem to favour the cheaper
option.

I understand with conventional flues you have to be careful with
extractor fans. The brochure says the fans have to be installed to
BSxxxx. We have a fan and a cooker hood so what does BS xxxx involve?
Where can I find and read it?

Thanks.
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 13:07:01 +0000, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

I was looking at Grant boilers and see that they can have either
conventional flues or balanced flues. They do chimney lining kits but
the balanced option is £600+ whereas the conventional flue version is
£200+; that's a big difference. Is there any advantage to paying the
extra for a balanced flue or would you go conventional?

I had a couple of quotes and the plumbers seem to favour the cheaper
option.

I understand with conventional flues you have to be careful with
extractor fans. The brochure says the fans have to be installed to
BSxxxx. We have a fan and a cooker hood so what does BS xxxx involve?
Where can I find and read it?

Is this a gas, oil or solid fuel boiler?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I was looking at Grant boilers and see that they can have either
conventional flues or balanced flues. They do chimney lining kits but
the balanced option is £600+ whereas the conventional flue version is
£200+; that's a big difference. Is there any advantage to paying the
extra for a balanced flue or would you go conventional?

I had a couple of quotes and the plumbers seem to favour the cheaper
option.

I understand with conventional flues you have to be careful with
extractor fans. The brochure says the fans have to be installed to
BSxxxx. We have a fan and a cooker hood so what does BS xxxx involve?
Where can I find and read it?

Thanks.
Stephen.

My own (non-expert) opinion would be to go with a balanced flue. Over 20
years I have had problems with Corgi guys (and BG) challenging my
ventilation. Standards may have changed since original installation and I
had to bring in some extra ducting of air. Always an issue for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
My own (non-expert) opinion would be to go with a balanced flue. Over 20
years I have had problems with Corgi guys (and BG) challenging my
ventilation. Standards may have changed since original installation and
I had to bring in some extra ducting of air. Always an issue for me.

I had a CORGI guy challenge the ventilation for my old room sealed boiler.
He also reckoned it shouldn't be mounted on a wood floor as it was a fire
risk. But it conformed in both ways to the maker's installation
instructions. Basically, he was a con artist.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:25:15 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

Is this a gas, oil or solid fuel boiler?

Sorry I forgot to mention, it's oil, though I don't think Grant make
any thing else. Does it make a difference? I've never quite understood
how the air gets into the boiler "conventionally" considering the
boiler is enclosed on all four sides with enamelled sheet metal,
insulation, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

I understand with conventional flues you have to be careful with
extractor fans. The brochure says the fans have to be installed to
BSxxxx. We have a fan and a cooker hood so what does BS xxxx involve?
Where can I find and read it?

I presume the xxxx part is a number. I suspect installing the fan to the
BS is not the issue, except that it will probably tell you to look up
something else (often the manufacturer's information) if there are any
open-flued appliances in the vicinity.

The guidance in Approved Document J is, "For oil appliances: limit fan
capacities as described in OFTEC Technical Information Note TI/112 and
then carry out flue draught interference tests as described in TI/112".
So a copy of that OFTEC note may be your best bet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:00:49 +0100, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost
wrote:

The guidance in Approved Document J is, "For oil appliances: limit fan
capacities as described in OFTEC Technical Information Note TI/112 and
then carry out flue draught interference tests as described in TI/112".
So a copy of that OFTEC note may be your best bet.

But I think you need to be OFTEC registered to view their notes. Does
anyone have a copy?

Thanks.

flues: which type? Stephen[_2_] UK diy 3 August 10th 08 03:52 PM
blocking off chimney flues Roger UK diy 1 March 19th 07 07:41 AM
Non-balanced flues & extractor fans Redeye UK diy 3 August 25th 06 11:54 AM
flues & solid fuel VisionSet UK diy 1 July 17th 06 10:43 PM
Oil boiler flues Ian H UK diy 5 February 7th 06 10:49 PM