Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating walls in small cloakroom

I am renovating a very small cloakroom which has two external walls of
solid 9 inch brickwork, plastered.

The lower half of the walls will be traditional tongue and groove
panelling. However I would also like to insulate the upper half, but
without making the room too small.

I would like to fix some thin but effective sheet insulation directly
to the existing plaster, which is sound, and cover it with
plasterboard. Ideally, the insulation would be 20-25mm thick.

Any suggestions as to what to use? Also how best to fix it, and the
plasterboard on top, and how best to join the plasterboard on the wall
to that in the window reveal to give a neat corner joint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
I am renovating a very small cloakroom which has two external walls of
solid 9 inch brickwork, plastered.

The lower half of the walls will be traditional tongue and groove
panelling. However I would also like to insulate the upper half, but
without making the room too small.

I would like to fix some thin but effective sheet insulation directly
to the existing plaster, which is sound, and cover it with
plasterboard. Ideally, the insulation would be 20-25mm thick.

Any suggestions as to what to use? Also how best to fix it, and the
plasterboard on top, and how best to join the plasterboard on the wall
to that in the window reveal to give a neat corner joint.

Have a look at pre insulated plaster board.. you can get it with polystyrene
or expanded foam and a foil DPM.

I think I would just use screws and plugs to fix it if the walls level.

If you are going to skim it then just uses the standard metal or plastic
trim they sell for corners.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 12:04, Bruce wrote:

However I would also like to insulate the upper half, but
without making the room too small.

Read the Cellotex website. Good explanation of their products and the
numbers for what you can expect for each thickness.

If you have to go thin, yellow PIR foam is the stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 9 Sep, 12:04, Bruce wrote:

However I would also like to insulate the upper half, but
without making the room too small.

Read the Cellotex website. Good explanation of their products and the
numbers for what you can expect for each thickness.

If you have to go thin, yellow PIR foam is the stuff.

Thanks Andy, that advice was just what I needed. I have ordered a
sheet of Celotex TB3000.

insulating walls chris[_5_] UK diy 7 August 11th 08 11:06 PM
Insulating timberframe walls - please help dmor UK diy 4 October 1st 07 01:51 PM
Insulating timberframe walls [email protected] UK diy 0 September 28th 07 12:11 AM
drylining and insulating walls [email protected] UK diy 7 February 17th 07 09:16 AM
insulating walls mushymanrob UK diy 5 September 6th 06 10:50 AM