Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default insulating walls

My house has solid brick walls and I want to improve the insulation.
The best answer will be to knock off the plaster on outside walls and
line them with insulated plaster board. This will be very dusty and
dirty. Is there any material that can be effectively put on top of the
existing plaster that is relatively thin?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris wrote:
My house has solid brick walls and I want to improve the insulation.
The best answer will be to knock off the plaster on outside walls and
line them with insulated plaster board. This will be very dusty and
dirty. Is there any material that can be effectively put on top of the
existing plaster that is relatively thin?

How about PIR foam backed plasterboard. The existing plaster is only
goin to lose you 1/2" or so of room size per wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:50:55 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

chris wrote:
My house has solid brick walls and I want to improve the insulation.
The best answer will be to knock off the plaster on outside walls and
line them with insulated plaster board. This will be very dusty and
dirty. Is there any material that can be effectively put on top of the
existing plaster that is relatively thin?

cork tiles?

I lined our daughters box room with sheets of that 1/2" pinboard
material as it's Nth facing and 3 external solid brick walls. :-(

I think it helps a bit but we might have to consider something more
efficient soon?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After some thought I have concluded that there is no easy option and
the only manageable one may be this 1/2" plasterboard lined with foam.
there are only 2 rooms that really need it, one with 3 exterior walls,
the other with 2. it will be a problem as the rooms have tenants in
and the electric sockets will need moved as well as radiators. Then
there's the windows and door. Then there's redecorating. So maybe I'll
put it on hold until next summer? Thanks for the advice though.

Chris

wrote:

chris wrote:
My house has solid brick walls and I want to improve the insulation.
The best answer will be to knock off the plaster on outside walls and
line them with insulated plaster board. This will be very dusty and
dirty. Is there any material that can be effectively put on top of the
existing plaster that is relatively thin?

cork tiles?

I lined our daughters box room with sheets of that 1/2" pinboard
material as it's Nth facing and 3 external solid brick walls. :-(

I think it helps a bit but we might have to consider something more
efficient soon?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chris writes:
After some thought I have concluded that there is no easy option and
the only manageable one may be this 1/2" plasterboard lined with foam.
there are only 2 rooms that really need it, one with 3 exterior walls,
the other with 2. it will be a problem as the rooms have tenants in
and the electric sockets will need moved as well as radiators. Then
there's the windows and door. Then there's redecorating. So maybe I'll
put it on hold until next summer? Thanks for the advice though.
Chris

If you have the option of putting the insulation on the outside
of the walls, that works better because you keep the thermal mass
inside the house. I would only consider this if the walls are
(going to be) rendered in any case (you can put the insulation
under the render).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Aug, 00:20, chris wrote:
My house has solid brick walls and I want to improve the insulation.
The best answer will be to knock off the plaster on outside walls and
line them with insulated plaster board. This will be very dusty and
dirty. Is there any material that can be effectively put on top of the
existing plaster that is relatively thin?

Dear Chris
You are right in your second post
The short answer is No unless you are prepared to pay top prices for
thin insulation
If you are going to the trouble to do this you might as well do it and
lose the room
personally I have done this and losts 2.5 " from all external walls
moved all the picture rails and other windown Joinery timbers and it
was well worth it
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 16:20:47 -0700 (PDT), chris
wrote:

My house has solid brick walls and I want to improve the insulation.
The best answer will be to knock off the plaster on outside walls

That's the way - you need about 2" of thickness and your choice is to
either hack off the plaster (which is easy enough, albeit mucky) or to
lose useful space.

If you're in a context where thickness is crucial, then the PIR (yellow
foam) boards are the ones to go for. Also look at the recent thread here
named "Insulating shed - "Frame Foil"?" The Celotex website has
some good product advice and descriptions of predicted U values.

Calculate and compare U values and £ / m^2 figures across products and
makers. There's a difference.

Insulating timberframe walls [email protected] UK diy 0 September 28th 07 12:11 AM
drylining and insulating walls [email protected] UK diy 7 February 17th 07 09:16 AM
Insulating garage walls Eigenvector Home Repair 5 January 17th 07 02:04 PM
insulating walls mushymanrob UK diy 5 September 6th 06 10:50 AM
Insulating finished walls [email protected] Home Ownership 5 October 7th 05 06:36 PM