Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central heating pump running and sometimes the boiler too when H/W &C/H turned off.

HI All,

Any help gratefully received.
I have the dreaded Potterton Supima 60 boiler with an EP3000
controller (justed replaced, was EP2000).

The problem I have is that when the controller has switched off the C/
H & H/W, I often hear the water pump running and have found the boiler
strike up too. I have checked the operation of the Thermostats on both
the H/W & C/H and they work fine but I would have thought that these
shouldn't even be looked at it the controller has no demand. I have 2
motorised valves, 1 for H/W & 1 for C/H and they operate when there is
a proper demand for either H/W or C/H. When I have the problem,
neither of them have been opened (they have a light on them to show
then they have power to them) so I presume the water is just
circulating through the boiler ? I thought that the controller would
control such things so replaced the original EP2000 with a EP3000 as
they use the same backplane but I still have the problem.

I have done somemore investigation and it appears to me that the
boiler controls the pump ? Is this right ?If it is does this mean the
problem is most likely to be the PCB in the boiler ? I have heard that
reconditioned PCBs are available, does anybody know where you can get
them ? Part #8407750, A new one is about £180.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Ned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from contains these words:

[...]

The boiler probably needs to control the pump so the pump can run for a
period after all valves have closed so that the water in the heat
exchanger doesn't boil but the boiler shouldn't be firing in this period
or any time when thermostats aren't calling for heat.

I posted about a similar intermittent problem a few days ago and you may
want to visit that thread - "More boiler woes" - as faulty micro
switches can produce the symptoms you describe.

I have done somemore investigation and it appears to me that the
boiler controls the pump ? Is this right ?If it is does this mean the
problem is most likely to be the PCB in the boiler ? I have heard that
reconditioned PCBs are available, does anybody know where you can get
them ? Part #8407750, A new one is about £180.

Geoff may be along in a minute to say he supplies reconditioned PCBs (at
very reasonable prices as I can attest) and whether a faulty board could
be a possible cause.

--
Roger Chapman