Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what to do with central heating pipes running along wall

this is what i have in most rooms:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24loqyd&s=4

twin 15mm pipes for the central heating system running just above the
skirting board. they have been painted several times and the paint is
all lumpy and scabby.

any suggestions as to what to do with them? i could sand them down
and re paint, but it would be hard to paint them properly. i saw in
screwfix a plastic cover for twin pipes , anyone seen it? also boxing
in could be an option.

just wondered what you diy experts would do ! less work the better,
but want a tidy finish!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4

Can you re-route under the floor boards?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

concrete floors!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 10 Jul, 15:36, benpost wrote:
concrete floors!

The plastic covers seem not bad - I've been thinking about them
myself. My only reservation with them is they're a similar material
to the plastic trunking we have for power data etc in my office at
work, and it seems to 'age' pretty quickly. It's not so much dirt
(although I wouldn't object if the cleaners came into my office more
often) but they discolour a bit an collect scratches easily. Perhaps
they could be painted once they got a bit scabby - you'd probably
paint them when you did the walls anyway.

Only ramblings, you understand, from one thinking about a similar
situation...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 3:25*pm, benpost wrote:
this is what i have in most rooms:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24loqyd&s=4

twin 15mm pipes for the central heating system running just above the
skirting board. *they have been painted several times and the paint is
all lumpy and scabby.

any suggestions as to what to do with them? *i could sand them down
and re paint,

paint stripper is easier than sanding, but you do need to take care
not to get it any of it on your skin at all (and eyes of course).

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:

this is what i have in most rooms:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24loqyd&s=4

twin 15mm pipes for the central heating system running just above the
skirting board. they have been painted several times and the paint is
all lumpy and scabby.

any suggestions as to what to do with them? i could sand them down
and re paint, but it would be hard to paint them properly. i saw in
screwfix a plastic cover for twin pipes , anyone seen it? also boxing
in could be an option.

just wondered what you diy experts would do ! less work the better,
but want a tidy finish!

For a tidy finish you'll have to smooth them. Coarse sandpaper or
cautious use of a flap wheel etc may take the high spots down, and
gloss paint should fill in the resulting scratched finish.

Or you could make a feature of them, paint them some funky colour, or
multuple colours, or a pattern. Or a dot of colour on each drip. Or go
crazy and solder a halved t junction onto them, and add a bit of wacky
shaped pipe to each. Yes... I've seen most of these done, not the last
one but something similar.

Boxing doesnt really work for me. It makes the undesired object much
bigger.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd consider taking the skirting boards off, getting new ones, making
a channel in the wood if necessary so that the pipe will fit between
the new skirtings and the wall, and relocating the pipes so they're
out of view. Big job though.

Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
this is what i have in most rooms:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24loqyd&s=4

twin 15mm pipes for the central heating system running just above the
skirting board. they have been painted several times and the paint is
all lumpy and scabby.

any suggestions as to what to do with them? i could sand them down
and re paint, but it would be hard to paint them properly. i saw in
screwfix a plastic cover for twin pipes , anyone seen it? also boxing
in could be an option.

just wondered what you diy experts would do ! less work the better,
but want a tidy finish!

Polish them and varnish them?

Built in seating?

Replace them with skirting heaters is a good bet.
E.g.
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...ter_Range.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, GMM
writes
On 10 Jul, 15:36, benpost wrote:
concrete floors!

The plastic covers seem not bad - I've been thinking about them
myself.

My wife bought some from a catalogue. Not Tupperware - another one with
a door to door man. Anyway, they were fine. Easy to trim to size, and
clip on the pipe. However, they did start to discolour after 3 or 4
years, but were cheap enough to throw away and replace. No, not
terribly environmentally friendly.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4

http://www.norscreenfilters.co.uk/Pipe_covers_en.htm

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4

Screw a batten to the wall 120mm above the floor, and then fix the top edge
of skirting board to it. This creates a tidy cavity behind, but with a bit
of care it's barely noticable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Steve Walker" writes:
benpost wrote:
sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4

Screw a batten to the wall 120mm above the floor, and then fix the top edge
of skirting board to it. This creates a tidy cavity behind, but with a bit
of care it's barely noticable.

A variation on this is to strip the plaster to 120mm above the floor
and fix the battern to the brickwork, thereby flush mounting it into
the plaster.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Central Heating Pipes Griffo UK diy 4 October 7th 07 09:42 PM
Central Heating Pipes Griffo Home Repair 1 October 6th 07 07:29 PM
screed and central heating pipes [email protected] UK diy 15 November 22nd 06 01:05 PM
plastic pipes and central heating Roy UK diy 13 September 22nd 06 06:46 AM
toilet offset from soil-pipe/running supply pipes inside wall [email protected] UK diy 2 August 8th 05 03:30 AM