Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dust sealing brick and block walls

My garage has a mix of brick and block walls. I want to reduce the
dust level as I have a rack of computer gear in there. Seems to me
that sealing the walls with something would help, is there something
specifically made for the job? I don't mind doing the blocks with
white emulsion, but I'd like to keep the bricks natural, so something
transparent would be good. Any suggestions please? I can't see
anything suitable at Screwfix.

PS Doing another search I found this: http://www.polyvine-shop.com/coatings_cl.php
which might be what I want, but I'd prefer to use something more
industrial (ie cheaper).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pcb1962 wrote:
My garage has a mix of brick and block walls. I want to reduce the
dust level as I have a rack of computer gear in there. Seems to me
that sealing the walls with something would help, is there something
specifically made for the job? I don't mind doing the blocks with
white emulsion, but I'd like to keep the bricks natural, so something
transparent would be good. Any suggestions please? I can't see
anything suitable at Screwfix.

PS Doing another search I found this:
http://www.polyvine-shop.com/coatings_cl.php which might be what I
want, but I'd prefer to use something more
industrial (ie cheaper).

Paving sealant is a kind of varnish that comes in gloss or matt
finishes...it can be had for around £20 for 5 litres, or a 25l drum for
about £80.....don't buy B&Q's stuff as it's crap - visit a builders merchant
and ask about patio sealants.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 3:44*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
pcb1962 wrote:
My garage has a mix of brick and block walls. I want to reduce the
dust level as I have a rack of computer gear in there. Seems to me
that sealing the walls with something would help, is there something
specifically made for the job? I don't mind doing the blocks with
white emulsion, but I'd like to keep the bricks natural, so something
transparent would be good. Any suggestions please? I can't see
anything suitable at Screwfix.

PS Doing another search I found this:
http://www.polyvine-shop.com/coatings_cl.phpwhich might be what I
want, but I'd prefer to use something more
industrial (ie cheaper).

Paving sealant is a kind of varnish that comes in gloss or matt
finishes...it can be had for around £20 for 5 litres, or a 25l drum for
about £80.....don't buy B&Q's stuff as it's crap - visit a builders merchant
and ask about patio sealants.

Bricks dont produce dust afaik, concrete does, so its only that that
needs doing. Concrete paints are readily available, specifically
designed to stop dusting. Thinly diluted pva is a cheaper option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 12:26*am, wrote:
On Sep 8, 3:44*pm, "Phil L" wrote:

pcb1962 wrote:
[...]

So painting with something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79239
would do the job? How about mixing this with some cheap emulsion - I'd
quite like the block wall to be white - would that be an ok idea - or
better to paint with the pva first and then emulsion afterwards?
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 3:02*pm, pcb1962 wrote:
On Sep 10, 12:26*am, wrote:

http://www.polyvine-shop.com/coating...hpwhichmightbe what I
want, but I'd prefer to use something more
industrial (ie cheaper).

Paving sealant is a kind of varnish that comes in gloss or matt
finishes...it can be had for around £20 for 5 litres, or a 25l drum for
about £80.....don't buy B&Q's stuff as it's crap - visit a builders merchant
and ask about patio sealants.

Bricks dont produce dust afaik, concrete does, so its only that that
needs doing. Concrete paints are readily available, specifically
designed to stop dusting. Thinly diluted pva is a cheaper option.

So painting with something like this:http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79239
would do the job? How about mixing this with some cheap emulsion - I'd
quite like the block wall to be white - would that be an ok idea - or
better to paint with the pva first and then emulsion afterwards?
Thanks

PVA is a cheapie option. It works but isnt damp proof, isnt tough
enough for use on floors, and if not painted on very thin it can form
a slick surface that emulsion wont stick to. Once you've got the 2 you
can try both your suggestions and see the result.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
pcb1962 wrote:
My garage has a mix of brick and block walls. I want to reduce the
dust level as I have a rack of computer gear in there. Seems to me
that sealing the walls with something would help, is there something
specifically made for the job? I don't mind doing the blocks with
white emulsion, but I'd like to keep the bricks natural, so something
transparent would be good. Any suggestions please? I can't see
anything suitable at Screwfix.

Blue Circle used to do a very good stabilising solution which would seal
any masonry. Dunno if it's still available.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.