Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wind and drains !

HI All

When the wind's from a particular direction (North / North-west) (and
we're talking meteorology rather here than digestion!) we get problems
with a 'drains' smell inside & outside the house.

The house is a 1 2/2 storey building - built in the last couple of years.
The main bathroom, the shower room and the office (all of which suffer
from this smell) are all at the same end of the building - bathroom
upstairs - other 2 rooms below.

Drainage is to a septic tank.

The foul drain comes down the outside of the house into the ground, top
end of this pipe goes into the upvc soffits and into the roof space.
Here it runs to the toilet, with a tee off (still in 4" grey plastic)
which appears to go up to a square roof vent near the apex of the roof.
As the bathroom's got a pent roof, it's not possible to see exactly
where this pipe goes without ripping the ceiling down.... - but it does
seem to have a fair bit of 'play' in it - which makes me wonder if it's
come adrift from the roof vent.

So - recommendations as to the best course of action...?

I'm tempted to disconnect the pipe that runs up into the ceiling space
and replace it with an air-admittance valve - to see if that fixes the
problem - but that's going to require a bit of saw-work as the upright
timbers that form the side-walls of the bathroom are only about 12"
apart - and there's no room to work at the moment...

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
HI All

When the wind's from a particular direction (North / North-west) (and
we're talking meteorology rather here than digestion!) we get problems
with a 'drains' smell inside & outside the house.

The house is a 1 2/2 storey building - built in the last couple of years.

Er - that's 'one and a half' storey - where the upstairs rooms are
partly built into the sloping roof....

Adrian

Wind up flashlight Jim Home Repair 11 December 27th 07 10:35 PM
Wind Power (OT) John UK diy 226 March 25th 07 10:52 PM
Trapped Wind fragpig UK diy 2 October 3rd 05 07:09 PM
world wind raden UK diy 23 September 14th 05 08:01 PM