Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to drive hole saw

Hi,

Got a hole saw kit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93131/...saw-Set-15-Pc).

The shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be 7/16ths
?) How are they supposed to be driven with an ordinary drill. The
shafts are too large for my drill. Is there a reducer to allow them to
be used in a smaller chuck? An 11mm nut spinner (if I could find one)
might do the job but ...

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Charles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charles C wrote:
Hi,

Got a hole saw kit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93131/...saw-Set-15-Pc).

The shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be 7/16ths
?) How are they supposed to be driven with an ordinary drill. The
shafts are too large for my drill. Is there a reducer to allow them to
be used in a smaller chuck? An 11mm nut spinner (if I could find one)
might do the job but ...

Thanks for any help.

These are designed for use in a 1/2" or 13mm chuck, probably because
many of the smaller drills with 10mm chucks may have difficulty turning
the larger hole saws anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charles C" wrote in message
Hi,

Got a hole saw kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93131/...itan-Holesaw-S
et-15-Pc).

The shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be 7/16ths
?) How are they supposed to be driven with an ordinary drill. The
shafts are too large for my drill. Is there a reducer to allow them to
be used in a smaller chuck? An 11mm nut spinner (if I could find one)
might do the job but ...

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Charles

We're going to need a bigger chuck,chuck. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Charles C wrote:
Hi,

Got a hole saw kit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93131/...saw-Set-15-Pc).

The shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be
7/16ths ?) How are they supposed to be driven with an ordinary
drill. The shafts are too large for my drill. Is there a reducer
to allow them to be used in a smaller chuck? An 11mm nut spinner
(if I could find one) might do the job but ...

Thanks for any help.

These are designed for use in a 1/2" or 13mm chuck, probably because
many of the smaller drills with 10mm chucks may have difficulty
turning the larger hole saws anyway.

Very common with sets of holesaws and auger bits, especially the 'bargain'
ones. The buggers never seem to mention it in the adverts or catalogues.

I replaced a faulty 10mm chuck on a 14.4v Makita with a 13mm deliberately to
over come this problem, however I wouldn't advise doing the same on a drill
of lower quality. The Mak has enough welly to cope with big holesaws &
augers, cheaper tools may not.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Charles C wrote:
[...]

I think the key issue is that lower power drills will work, but not
without some enlightened common sense..hole saws cannot be rammed in at
full power without problems anyway..a high tooth speed on the larger
ones will generally cause overheating.

Its the difference between a silly consumer market where people do
anything the kit allows, and expect it to work, and a professional
market either things like RPM limits are set and may be expected to be
adhered to..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Charles C wrote:
Hi,

Got a hole saw kit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93131/...saw-Set-15-Pc).

The shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be 7/16ths
?) How are they supposed to be driven with an ordinary drill. The
shafts are too large for my drill. Is there a reducer to allow them to
be used in a smaller chuck? An 11mm nut spinner (if I could find one)
might do the job but ...

Thanks for any help.

They're like that because you need a suitably powerful drill for the
largest sizes which will have a 1/2" chuck. You can get the smaller sizes
to fit a smaller auger - but of course this is a kit.

If you're only going to use it on 'easy' materials like plasterboard you
might be able to fit a 1/2" chuck to your drill.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 07:14:28 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I replaced a faulty 10mm chuck on a 14.4v Makita with a 13mm
deliberately to over come this problem, however I wouldn't advise doing
the same on a drill of lower quality. The Mak has enough welly to cope
with big holesaws & augers, cheaper tools may not.

How easy is this generally? My 14.4V deWalt drill has a 13mm chuck but the
18V angle driver has only 10mm. Ideally I suppose I should like to be able
to swap back to the 10 for when the extra length of the 13mm is too much,
but just being able to drive holesaws in confined spaces with the
angle dangle would be nice.

--
John Stumbles

Bob the builder / it'll cost 'yer
Bob the builder / loadsa dosh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 07:14:28 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I replaced a faulty 10mm chuck on a 14.4v Makita with a 13mm
deliberately to over come this problem, however I wouldn't advise
doing the same on a drill of lower quality. The Mak has enough
welly to cope with big holesaws & augers, cheaper tools may not.

How easy is this generally? My 14.4V deWalt drill has a 13mm chuck
but the 18V angle driver has only 10mm. Ideally I suppose I should
like to be able to swap back to the 10 for when the extra length of
the 13mm is too much, but just being able to drive holesaws in
confined spaces with the
angle dangle would be nice.

Dunno mate. I have the luxury of a mate who owns a hire shop wot is also a
Makita service centre, I just take stuff in & he sorts it. Cost me a score
all in. Very handy, no deposit hire & free delivery on plamt as well. Its
not what you know its who you know etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
I replaced a faulty 10mm chuck on a 14.4v Makita with a 13mm
deliberately to over come this problem, however I wouldn't advise doing
the same on a drill of lower quality. The Mak has enough welly to cope
with big holesaws & augers, cheaper tools may not.

How easy is this generally? My 14.4V deWalt drill has a 13mm chuck but
the 18V angle driver has only 10mm. Ideally I suppose I should like to
be able to swap back to the 10 for when the extra length of the 13mm is
too much, but just being able to drive holesaws in confined spaces with
the angle dangle would be nice.

If you open the chuck fully, there's usually some kind of locking screw at
the end of the gearbox shaft - to allow reverse operation. Usually a left
hand thread. Remove that and the chuck should unscrew in the normal
direction but will often have to be shocked free. A pair of mole grips and
a hammer should do it.
But having written this other makes than those I've seen will be
different. ;-)

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 01:19:35 +0100, Charles C wrote:

Hi,

Got a hole saw kit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93131/...ws/Sets/Titan-

Holesaw-Set-15-Pc).

The shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be 7/16ths
?) How are they supposed to be driven with an ordinary drill. The
shafts are too large for my drill. Is there a reducer to allow them to
be used in a smaller chuck? An 11mm nut spinner (if I could find one)
might do the job but ...

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Charles

I find that you can often put the SDS hole saw arbor into a 10mm chuck,
it's not perfect but it's good enough for making holes in awkward places.