Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft insulation ?

I live in a relatively modern house with the typical prefab roof trusses. It
has 4" fibre glass insulation, and I've boarded much of the area for
storage.
I'm looking at upgrading the amount of insulation but I can't just use
thicker insulation without building up the trusses in some way. Is there an
alternative insulation material that I could use to replace the glass fibre
that is significantly better ?
Thanks
Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony B" wrote

I live in a relatively modern house with the typical prefab roof trusses.
It has 4" fibre glass insulation, and I've boarded much of the area for
storage.
I'm looking at upgrading the amount of insulation but I can't just use
thicker insulation without building up the trusses in some way. Is there
an alternative insulation material that I could use to replace the glass
fibre that is significantly better ?
Thanks
Tony

If you are going to lift the boards anyway, there is also the option of
insulation boards.
Insulate in the normal way between the joists, lay insulation board across
the joists and put back your boarding.
I put some down recently - 55mm thick.
As it was only a small area I didn't look at the insulation value compared
to the standard fluffy stuff.
This is the stuff http://www.space-insulation.com/board.html
You will obviously lose a little head height doing this though.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 11:48, "TheScullster" wrote:
"Tony B" wrote

[...]

Hi,
I am doing this by filling the area under the boarded section with
50mm.
expanded foam insulation which comes in 1200x2400mm. sheets.
Most builders' merchants keep these under different names like
Quinntherm, Ecotherm, Kingspan, Celotex...I expect they have similar
specs. I pick them up and cut them with a hand saw to fit into the car
and
cut further when in the loft. You can compare the equivalent specs to
glass fibre to see what you are getting and whether it is necessary to
build up
the joists to raise the floor to accommodate more...usually kept in
50mm
and 25mm. thicknesses. Some keep it in smaller sizes of board too.
David G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
gilli writes
[...]

You can also lay this type of insulation on to of existing loft boards,
then add another layer of boards as required - approx 1500mm of depth is
required to meet modern regs

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark writes:
You can also lay this type of insulation on to of existing loft boards,
then add another layer of boards as required - approx 1500mm of depth is
required to meet modern regs

They're going to have to start building houses with taller roofs.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
In article
, gilli
writes
[...]

1500mm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

150mm?

--

[george]

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Mark writes:
You can also lay this type of insulation on to of existing loft boards,
then add another layer of boards as required - approx 1500mm of depth is
required to meet modern regs

They're going to have to start building houses with taller roofs.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Are there any materials which are superior to the standard glass fibre wool
which could replace the existing 100mm and give better u values ? This would
be simpler than building up the the floor level ?

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
In article
,
gilli writes

You can also lay this type of insulation on to of existing loft
boards, then add another layer of boards as required - approx 1500mm
of depth is required to meet modern regs

1500mm?

Does seem a little generous doesn't it!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TonyB" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Rockwool is better, but...high performing foam gives great insulation for a
thin sheet. Not cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Sep, 16:34, "TonyB" wrote:

Are there any materials which are superior to the standard glass fibre wool
which could replace the existing 100mm and give better u values ?

Yes, the Cellotex yellow PIR foam boards. Their web site is quite
decent too, with all the numbers you need.

In lofts, you generally have the spare thickness to go with glasswool
(unless boarding is an issue). Anywhere else, the better performance
of the yellow foam almost always wins out. Don't mention the multi-
layer foils or there will be an argument. 8-)

Loft Insulation Endulini UK diy 1 December 9th 07 03:27 PM
Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
Loft insulation eastender UK diy 0 November 13th 06 12:42 PM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM
loft insulation DIY Novice UK diy 16 October 22nd 04 09:33 AM